Unlimited access >

Bascule Farms LLC and Class Act Farm

Hi!
I’m looking at two different barns for a working student position, and wanted to know if y’all had any advice. Thanks!

This time of year, Florida is more appealing than Maryland. I think Jennie competes at most of the Florida events, so you might have more opportunities. Think about what you want to learn and achieve as a working student. Then talk with past working students from those farms to see if it is right for you.

I stabled across from Jennie at Poplar last season and found her lovely to be around with great horses and her working student at the time didn’t seem abused or overworked or grumpy.

We’ve kept somewhat in touch since then (via fb) and I really enjoy following her adventures.

Have to put in a good word for Lillian Heard at Bascule Farm. She competed my horse before I bought him, and came out to my farm to give me lessons until she moved. She is not only an excellent trainer/rider, but a very kind and supportive person. If I were looking for a ws position I would love to work with her!

This opinion is probably not worth much but I will say that last summer (I think) we traveled to Florida and my kids wanted to go riding (because, you know, owning their own ponies and riding any day that they want to isn’t nearly enough!:D). We found ourselves at Class Act Farm and the name is also a true description. The people there had NOTHING to gain from us as we live 10 hours a way and were very upfront that this was a one time, just for fun thing. The Assistant trainer Kathleen gave and AMAZING lesson that had both kids doing things they had never done before and Jenni stopped and talked to us forever about her farm and horses and goals. All the horses seemed healthy and happy and everything seemed to be running like clockwork. We got to watch Jenni school and she was a lovely rider. We felt so welcomed and it was clear that both Kathleen and Jenni love horses and riding and were eager to share that love. I don’t think it is a coincidence that shortly after that lesson both my kids moved from hunters to eventing! I have never heard of the other place so I can’t compare the two, but I can’t imagine you will have anything but a wonderful experience at Class Act!

sending you a PM.