Unlimited access >

Bates Isabell?

Soooo I’m getting back into dressage! Need a new saddle! I’ve been riding in my trainer’s bates Isabell and I really like it (however, I’m open to other options). I looked at the wintec isabells, but just really want actual leather!!

So… recommendations? Thoughts? My pon is a tall, medium withered QH who goes MW in stubbens and wide gullet on the bates.

I found a bates on eBay in my prince range (1k- 1,400) but it’s worn down near the leg area. Pics in link!!!
Should I worry about that?

Aaaahhhhh I hate saddle shopping :frowning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262752512602

Looks good to me. It’s affordable and you already know it will fit your horse and you now. I say go with it. Saddles get rubbed by stirrup leathers. It happens and is not an issue.

Sent you a PM! :slight_smile:

The only thing I would ask is if your trainer’s saddle has the Cair system, like this one. This is an air-filled panel, not the system that allows for the changeable gullet, as the ad says. Some horses and/or riders don’t like the Cair as much as the traditional flocking. If you are doing fine with a Cair saddle, no problem. Alternatively, if trainer’s is wool, and the Cair becomes a problem down the road, you could have it replaced with wool by a saddle fitter.

Otherwise, I would say go for it. Also verify that the tree is sound with the seller, just in case.

The Cair system does allow for an adjustable gullet. I have the same saddle, with Cair and I have changed my gullet several times.

If you like the saddle, I say go for it! I love my bates saddle (I have the same one in an 18" that I’m selling up here) and the only reason I’m selling it, is its too big for my ponies and myself. Otherwise I would have kept it :slight_smile:

http://caircushionsystem.com/whatIsCAIR/index.htm

Saddles with the Cair system can ALSO have interchangeable gullets. And interchangeable gullet saddles can also have wool flocking. The two are unrelated.

All Bates saddles have the gullet system, and the newer ones have the panel shimming system as well. If you like the saddle and it fits, I say go for it :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DiamondJubilee;8970323]
The Cair system does allow for an adjustable gullet. I have the same saddle, with Cair and I have changed my gullet several times.

If you like the saddle, I say go for it! I love my bates saddle (I have the same one in an 18" that I’m selling up here) and the only reason I’m selling it, is its too big for my ponies and myself. Otherwise I would have kept it :)[/QUOTE]

Would you still happen to have it for sale? Hehe;)