Unlimited access >

Bathtub method for stretching boots.

So my boots are tight through the calves, but fit perfectly in the foot. I’m about to try the bathtub method and film it. They are the Devon Aire Nouvelle boots that I have had for several years but have only been able to tolerate once. What’s the likelihood of me having to do this several times? I had them professionally stretched, but they went straight back to being tight.

Anyone else done it?

Did you do a search? It’s a pretty popular very well discussed technique.

Look at the bottom of this thread and you will see similar threads to this that you can read.

I’ve done it, and it works. You just have to make sure that your boots are completely dry when you take them off. It’s an all day thing!

Thank you pony powered! I always hear people are trying it, but never hear the end result. Tomorrow is the big day! I got them wet today and wore them all day, but they weren’t completely soaked through I don’t think. But they were nice by the end of the day. So tomorrow I am filling the bathtub up with warm water and I’m going to try it where they are completely soaked.

Ive done it with a hose instead of getting into a tub and it works just as well. Loved how my boots fit afterwards.

I had really good success with alcohol and water mixed. I opened the boot poured the mixture where the boots where tight in my calves and put them on. they stretched almost immediately. The alcohol dissipates quickly so youre not in wet boots all day. The boots held their stretch and fit like customs.

Seconding the use of rubbing alcohol/water mix. I just spray it inside the boots in the calf area. Works like a charm and doesn’t require all-day wear of the boot.

I wouldn’t use the bathtub because who wants to walk around the house aftewards in dripping boots. I always did it with a hose at the barn

I am trying to get up my nerve to try this with a pair of new Ariats that I’ve had sitting unworn for a while.

It sounds like the sort of advice that would work with old-style, hand-sewn, leather-soled boots.

I’m afraid my Ariats will dissolve. Or it will turn out that everything was just glued together :slight_smile:

next really hot day . . .

[QUOTE=Scribbler;8779904]
I am trying to get up my nerve to try this with a pair of new Ariats that I’ve had sitting unworn for a while.

It sounds like the sort of advice that would work with old-style, hand-sewn, leather-soled boots.

I’m afraid my Ariats will dissolve. Or it will turn out that everything was just glued together :slight_smile:

next really hot day . . .[/QUOTE]

I used the method on a pair of Monaco’s a few years ago and it worked perfectly. It didn’t ruin the boots…

I sprayed the inside of my tight calf Tredsteps with 50/50 water-alcohol solution. That way I could spray only where necessary and reduce the chance of damaging the boots. Mine are calfskin so they are bonded to the boot’s leather lining by glue. Didn’t want to risk causing problems by flooding the entire boot with water.

Worked like a charm! And you don’t have to wear the boots all day. Maybe an hour or so…

Update on stretching boots :). I didn’t actually get into the bathtub with my lined Ariat field boots. But I soaked the ankle area thoroughly with alcohol and water one time, and then I soaked the top of the shaft in hot water several days in a row. The boots held up just fine, and they are starting to fit OK now. The main problem was that they were just a little too high behind the knee, which meant the whole shaft needed to “fall” a little bit.

I did find that the creases in the ankle ended up stiff after they dried, so I then soaked with Passier Lederbalm. And also for the first couple of rides, I used the dressage saddle rather than the jump saddle, so I had less bend in the knee. Wore them with the jump saddle yesterday and they were fine. Not perfect, but getting there.

Ok, just an update, I haven’t done it again like I meant to, had too much to do. But, I’m going to go get the alcohol tomorrow, as the stuff I have is very diluted. I have a pair of the Devon-Aire nouvelle boots that are all leather pull ons. We’re moving horses on Wednesday, so I’m going to wear them to the barn just to break them in some more