Unlimited access >

Bay Area Jumper/Event Barns + Carpool Options

Hello Everyone!

I just moved to San Francisco after spending 4 years in NYC without horses, and I’m interested in getting back into riding. Before my stint in NYC, I was training my own horse and competing at Training level while schooling Prelim/1.10m Jumpers. I’m looking for someone who lives in San Francisco (I’m in Pacific Heights myself) who would be interested in taking on an occasional carpool passenger in exchange for splitting the costs of gas. I would love to find someone who rides at a barn where there is lesson opportunity for someone who doesn’t currently have a horse. Eventually, I would like to find myself a half-lease, full-lease, or go back to my roots by buying a horse off the track…honestly, I would ride anything at this point because I miss it DESPERATELY, and I’m open to Jumper barns as well. I would love to join a barn that also has schooling and show opportunities.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sorry, I can’t help with barns/carpool(I live in the northeast), but did you consider posting on facebook groups? I know that up here we have a lot of New York/New Jersey Horse People facebook groups that can be very helpful, so I would check those out.

1 Like

Edit: just saw you’re looking for a ride share person. I would still contact those barns and ask! And then post on their pages. Sorry not more help, I learned to ride a motorcycle to deal with that shitty part of living in the Bay Area :slight_smile:

It’s been a minute, like 10 years, but I found a lot of catch rides just posting on forums and then coming out to show I could walk, err, ride the ride. Throw in willingness to pick stalls or do a feed and you’ll find lots of nice horses to ride, with very busy owners.

1 Like

Hey Lbiefuss,

I’m in The City (SF) and keep my horses down the peninsula. I am a jumper through and through but I may have some leads for you if you can tell me a bit more about what you’re looking for. My trainer and my barn are a bit of a haul from the city (about 45 min south) but if her program has something that might be a fit for you, (lease or half lease) I am happy to try and help make it happen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DM’d you info with a friend in the area :blush: Bay Area Horse Leasers on FB is a good resource too!

Thank you for your advice. I’ll definitely check out those resources.

Thank you!

Hey! That would be great, I love my jumpers. Right now, I’m looking for a carpool situation from the city where I can either half lease, catch ride or take lessons. Due to my lack of a car, I understand the constraint on my options so finding riders to commute from the city would be amazing. Riding is my passion, plain and simple, so I’m not picky. My main goal is to get to know the local riding community and find my way back into it. I value hard work, true commitment to the sport (including the horse’s mental and physical health), and respect for doing things the right way…with lots of laughs sprinkled in.

Hey @Lbleifuss,

I’ll send ya a PM, & sorry for the late reply! I didn’t see your response, so I guess that just proves I need to hop over to these forums more often :crazy_face:

If you find a carpool that’s willing to take a bit of a drive, I highly recommend Graceland Equestrian Center and Alliston Equestrian/East Bay Riding Academy. They are both in Castro Valley on the same road.