Unlimited access >

Bay TB at New Holland tonight-- Tattooed UPDATE! Horse is saved!d

Any word??
Did he get a soft landing?

So many thanks to all of you, especially to magicteetango (and cloudy and Callie for the offer)! Magicteetango got someone to post bail, Bev connected me with Deb who found a rescue who could take him, and we made another connection to transport him to Maryland. THEN: Although my trailer was full, our Belgian aquisition was taken back by the New Holland vet as too malnourished to travel. (Thanks to Bev at MidAtlantic Horse Rescue, I am in touch with the large animal rescue to pay his way out, if he’s a fighter, or humane euth if not.) That opened up a spot on our trailer, and he’s on his way home with us. We also picked up a skinny chestnut QH that was abandoned at NH and has apparently been standing in that same pen for three weeks…and two minis that need to be gelded and get their hooves trimmed up. I’ll post photos tomorrow on Horses With Hope Facebook page- I would score both him and the QH a 3. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was up all night trying to find someplace to take him, and now he’s in our own trailer! Can’t believe it… He rode through pretty quietly, and we’re impressed with his gentle manners so far. He has more to share with the world!

I’m in tears now and in awe of how well this worked out. You and the COTHers who helped and all who chipped in and/or prayed, thought good thoughts are vindicated. You can’t save them all but you saved this sweet guy, the qh and the minis. My heart sings and I thank you and all who helped. Could you pm me with an address/or paypal and I’ll send a few pennies to help with expenses.

[QUOTE=HeadWrangler;7553395]
So many thanks to all of you, especially to magicteetango (and cloudy and Callie for the offer)! Magicteetango got someone to post bail, Bev connected me with Deb who found a rescue who could take him, and we made another connection to transport him to Maryland. THEN: Although my trailer was full, our Belgian aquisition was taken back by the New Holland vet as too malnourished to travel. (Thanks to Bev at MidAtlantic Horse Rescue, I am in touch with the large animal rescue to pay his way out, if he’s a fighter, or humane euth if not.) That opened up a spot on our trailer, and he’s on his way home with us. We also picked up a skinny chestnut QH that was abandoned at NH and has apparently been standing in that same pen for three weeks…and two minis that need to be gelded and get their hooves trimmed up. I’ll post photos tomorrow on Horses With Hope Facebook page- I would score both him and the QH a 3. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was up all night trying to find someplace to take him, and now he’s in our own trailer! Can’t believe it… He rode through pretty quietly, and we’re impressed with his gentle manners so far. He has more to share with the world![/QUOTE]

Woooooo—OOOOOOT!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well done!

That is wonderful! This horse has been on my mind all day.

Aww, thanks HeadWrangler for the mention! I put the wheels in action, but would never have gotten that far without Deb Jones! THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting him and getting his tattoo. While I was thankful he wasn’t from either of the farms I’m affiliated with, I was EXTRA thankful that he was able to be ID’ed and get him to a new home… and even better that it was with you! I have a feeling you and he will be quite the pair =) Enjoy him, and please keep us posted!

I was afraid to check back in and was so thrilled to read he found a good home. I too would like to contribute.

Goodness I wish the timing was different…this kind of prospect is what I will be looking for with DD in a year or so when the money is better.

So glad to hear this! :slight_smile: Way to go, HeadWrangler!

[QUOTE=HeadWrangler;7553395]
So many thanks to all of you, especially to magicteetango (and cloudy and Callie for the offer)! Magicteetango got someone to post bail, Bev connected me with Deb who found a rescue who could take him, and we made another connection to transport him to Maryland. THEN: Although my trailer was full, our Belgian aquisition was taken back by the New Holland vet as too malnourished to travel. (Thanks to Bev at MidAtlantic Horse Rescue, I am in touch with the large animal rescue to pay his way out, if he’s a fighter, or humane euth if not.) That opened up a spot on our trailer, and he’s on his way home with us. We also picked up a skinny chestnut QH that was abandoned at NH and has apparently been standing in that same pen for three weeks…and two minis that need to be gelded and get their hooves trimmed up. I’ll post photos tomorrow on Horses With Hope Facebook page- I would score both him and the QH a 3. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was up all night trying to find someplace to take him, and now he’s in our own trailer! Can’t believe it… He rode through pretty quietly, and we’re impressed with his gentle manners so far. He has more to share with the world![/QUOTE]

LOVE, LOVE LOVE this post!!! :applause:

Awesome update!

Yes! Is there a place to chip in some pennies? My boy was a 9yr old, bay TB in a rough spot when I got him, so I have a very, very soft spot. I’m sure he’d be willing to give up a bit of his treat budget to help out.

Wow, HeadWrangler! I was sweating bullets all day Monday waiting for the outcome of this saga.My husband wanted to go for breakfast at Shady Maple Smorgasbord in New Holland on Monday and all I could think about was that TB, lol! I told my husband about his plight but he was unmoved.

I checked COTH around 2PM and just figured it didn’t end well. What a surprise! I hope Lootin’kisses knows what a lucky guy he is. Bless you for being persistent and helping out this fellow! Pictures, please… :slight_smile:

THANK YOU HeadWrangler!

Could you post a link to the Horses with Hope Facebook page? I tried to find it, but several came up in the FB search. Thanks again!

Just saw this thread. So thankful he was saved :).

Hi all–
Thanks again for your support. It is SO COOL to hear everyone’s voice chime in in support of this TB (still figuring out what to call him…). The vet was out yesterday afternoon to check them all out, and he got a clean bill of health SO FAR… will be quarantined until the end of the month anyway. He tested sore on both front feet, but they’re shelly and chipped so the hope is he just needs some growth and nutrients. He also has a nasty sarcoid just ahead of his girth line, which this vet recommended removing. We’ll wait until he’s healthy to determine the necessity of that. The vet called him a 2.5, and after spending several hours with him yesterday, it’s clear he’s worse off than I thought. The QH perked right up at the QT shelter, and is loving life (although is quite nervous about the TB going out of sight). The TB’s eyes show how incredibly nervous he is (he clearly is waiting to be moved AGAIN), but he’s just too listless to do anything about it. I’m working on the nutrient analysis for his new diet this afternoon, and then we’ll get some quality calories on his poor bones.

The Horses With Hope Facebook page is: www.facebook.com/HorsesWithHope Thanks also to everyone who is offering financial support! We are a privately funded rescue, lucky to have a wealthy benefactor, so we do not solicit donations. Any donations received by HWH are put into a separate “gift” account, opened once per year or by emergency, solely for the purposes of purchasing slaughter-bound horses like the two we brought home this weekend. I say that all by way of disclaimer/full disclosure: we are NOT a 501©3, although we do our best to uphold every recommended standard of the AAEP and GFAS. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about the rescue itself. (Incidentally, our website is currently under construction, and should be up by May 14 with more info related to this.)

In relation to the TB: our mission is retraining-focused. We are small, and can only handle a small number of horses at one time. However, each of those individuals is invested in extensively, to guarantee the ideal foundation has been laid not just for a permanent eventual adoption, but so that every HWH horse can go out into the world and become an ambassador for the rescue horse, and dispel the stigma surrounding the horses that end up at auction. Once he has finished quarantine and is cleared by our veterinarian that his body weight has returned to a healthy level, he will be evaluated by a chiropractor and an equine massage therapist to address any current body issues. Then our saddle fitter will work around his giant withers :wink: and then we’ll evaluate him for his current training level. Our head trainer will develop a conditioning plan for him, and then we’ll start work. With a horse who doesn’t have major abuse issues, we usually look at about a year from when the horse arrives until the horse meets our criteria for being adoptable (so alittlegrey, he might be on just the right timeline for you!). I don’t think he has any idea of the journey he’s in for, but with luck, he’ll respond to the love and food in no time at all.

Thanks again, everyone. I’ll also be posting photos tomorrow of the Belgian gelding that would’ve had this boy’s place on the trailer, if he hadn’t been pulled for being malnourished. No word yet on whether he was euthanized, but we’ve got the trailer ready and waiting if they say we can go back down and pick him up… fingers crossed for that big man. (He would be on sanctuary here for the rest of his days.) That’s a lot of info-- kudos to you if you made it all the way through that. THANK YOU ALL OF COTH for the support, and for being a great place to get more info when we stumble into something we don’t have experience with yet!

Oh, I’m so glad to read this. Waving my pom-poms for you, and for Lootin’Kisses’ recovery. :slight_smile:

Also jingling for the big Belgian… My heart goes out to him.