Unlimited access >

Bedding for an outside stray cat house?

Someone I know has built a really nice outdoor house for stray kitty whom he is trying to change to an indoor one. He is going to the feed store tomorrow to get some straw for the house, but if they are out, what would be something else he could use?

https://animalpath.org/what-can-i-use-instead-of-straw-for-a-cat-shelter/

This site recommends old sleeping bags, shredded paper or memory foam. I love the idea of an outdoor kitty house - do you have any pics?

1 Like

He can spring for a pricier bale of hay & that will work same as straw.
Proven by my barncat, who had a fleece house with blankets lining it & a heatlamp trained on it. She still preferred hanging out between stacked bales. Even in Polar Vortex Winters.

1 Like

Walmart and such often have small bales of straw in the pet section for things like guinea pigs. The cost will be higher, but they are so tightly packed that fluffed out, it goes further than you would think. Of course, the farm store bale will be better, but if they are out, I’d look at Walmart.

1 Like

8 Likes

If the feed store doesn’t have bales of straw, Tractor Supply carries bagged straw - it comes densely packed in a 40 or 50lb plastic bag. I think Standlee is the company.

1 Like

I’ve read straw is better because it doesn’t retain moisture and make them colder if it gets damp.

Temporary measure would be a cat bed til I got some straw and I’d cover the flap with something.

I packed mine full with straw and they burrowed in the middle.

1 Like

Petco has straw with free shipping over $35
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/standlee-premium-products-certified-straw-grab-and-go-compressed-bale

The main thing is that the inside of the shelter stays dry. He should probably put that shelter under something with a roof. You don’t want blowing rain or snow entering the shelter. Styrofoam insulation is great. Straw is preferred as a bedding.

I would probably add an overhang with 2 supports to prevent rain or snow from entering.

2 Likes

Using a plastic tub and styrofoam cooler with straw for barn (feral) cat shelter -

2 Likes

This is what most of the colony cat people use, or some variant on it with the cooler.

That house is so nice. Tiger is a lucky guy.

Our TNR group uses the tub design above but makes two holes. Many ferals will not enter a space that has no escape route, rainy and cold or not.