Unlimited access >

Beet Pulp?

I have a Arabian and a older horse I am trying to put weight on, I have heard beet pulp is a great way to help them gain weight. The only beet pulp TSC had was Stanleys . So I bought the pelleted kind and they have been on it for about two months along with a good grain. The nutrition facts says the fat percentage is only .25%. They have been on this for about two months and neither have put on any weight. They both have good grass and hay so I know that is not the problem. What kind of beet pulp is everyone else using? .25% just does not seem high to me considering their grain is 7% fat and 22% fat. Any info on what kind of beet pulp everyone else uses would be great!

Is hay high in fat? Grass? :slight_smile:

Beet pulp isn’t a grain, or a fortified feed, so you can’t compare it to those.

How much are you feeding? How much of your “grain” and what type?

Have you accounted for the fact that the “older horse” might not be able to chew grass and hay very well?

The older horse has good teeth he was just checked out by vet. They are getting “empower” which is 22% in fat and safe choice which is 7% fat. I am aware beet pulp is not the same thing as grain but everyone says its high in fat and the brand I have does not seem to be . They are getting four scoops each daily of beet pulp. And half a scoop of empower daily and a full scoop of safe choice. Of course this is divided between morning and evening feed

Who is “everyone”?
Because I don’t know anyone who says BP is high fat.

To put weight on an animal, you need to feed more calories than the animal burns.
Doesn’t mean that these calories need to come from fat.

BP’s calories are in the form of carbohydrates.

I’m sorry I didn’t really mean people say its high in fat I just meant a lot of people say it really help put weight on. The only thing I was really curious about is why is it not really doing anyrhing for my horses? And maybe is there is better brands out there? Or am I not feeding enough?

My older horse is retired so he is not worked and my arabian is in lite work at the moment so I feel like they are getting fed more calories than they are burning.

How much does a scoop of beet pulp weigh - and that is dry weight, not wet. You really have to weigh stuff rather than feed by scoops - there are scoops here that hold only a few ounces for cat food (used to be for flour but I don’t bake) to one that holds about 20 pounds and is a sample scoop for moisture testing grain. Animal feed and human feed is measured by ounces and pounds not by scoops and cans.

i have 2 oldies (mid 20 's and mid 30’s ) and a young TB so all 3 are NOT easy keepers.esp[ecially the TB needed to gain a lot of weight when i got him 2 years ago and the old pony got really skinny one winter.been feeding beet pulp pellets forever.agree with previous poster that beet pulp isn’t high in fat,i use blue seal brand which is 7% protein 0.3% fat and 22% fiber.says 1 quart dry beet pulp weighs about 1…5 lbs and feeding directions is 1 to 4 lbs per day.
i admit i never really measured or weighed what i feed but vet,farriers and common sense say my horses are in good weight.they all get regular light to medium exercise .
i feed beet pulp soaked and each horse gets 2 to 3 large yogurt containers ( the 750mg size) once a day mixed with grain (TB more,pony the least) .
i also feed rice bran and ground flax seed and other things but your question was about beet pulp.
maybe you should increase the amount your feeding.don’t think you can overdo it easily.

[QUOTE=shelbylynnsperformancehorses;7138181]
The older horse has good teeth he was just checked out by vet. They are getting “empower” which is 22% in fat and safe choice which is 7% fat. I am aware beet pulp is not the same thing as grain but everyone says its high in fat and the brand I have does not seem to be . They are getting four scoops each daily of beet pulp. And half a scoop of empower daily and a full scoop of safe choice. Of course this is divided between morning and evening feed[/QUOTE]

Beet pulp is, for all intents and purposes, a forage, so is not high in fat. The original sugar beet, from which beet pulp is a by-product of its processing, doesn’t have any fat.

I am not quite sure why you’re feeding so relatively little of a fortified feed that has more calories, and a LOT of beet pulp which has fewer calories :confused:

Safe Choice would not be my first (or 10th) choice for a feed, but if that’s all you have available, then you should be feeding the recommended amounts first, and if you choose add fat via the Empower Boost, then do that, THEN add in beet pulp.

SC has around 1500 cal/lb. beet pulp around 1000,and after it’s soaked, takes up a LOT more room and takes a lot longer to eat than the equivalent, or more, calories from the SC.

If you can get other brands, I’d REALLY suggest switching to Triple Crown Sr for the older guy at least, and probably even the Arab, as you’ll lower the sugar content of the feed.

Beetpulp is high in fibre, and it is fattening if you feed enough of it. Not sure what your scoops are but when soaked i often feed up to a bucketful a day split between 3 or 4 feeds.

[QUOTE=sk_pacer;7138431]
How much does a scoop of beet pulp weigh - and that is dry weight, not wet. You really have to weigh stuff rather than feed by scoops - there are scoops here that hold only a few ounces for cat food (used to be for flour but I don’t bake) to one that holds about 20 pounds and is a sample scoop for moisture testing grain. Animal feed and human feed is measured by ounces and pounds not by scoops and cans.[/QUOTE]

Yep, for the most part :slight_smile:

Pelleted beet pulp is more dense than shreds, so I’m not sure the conversion. Shredded beep (the stuff I get) is about 9c/lb, and then when that’s soaked, just 1lb is a pretty large volume.

I don’t know if pelleted bp is as dense as a typical pelleted “other thing”, which tend to be in the 3c/lb range, but if we assume maybe 4c/lb, then if a 2 quart scoop (which I’ll assume here is “the scoop”) holds 8 cups of the pelleted bp, that’s 32 cups which (still assuming 4c/lb) 8lb. If that’s the pre-soaked volume that is a HUGE volume and takes a long time to eat, even at 4lb per serving.

If that’s scoops of pre-soaked beep, then there’s no way to know the dry poundage because that all depends on how much water there was.

you can add fat to the beet pulp, along with hot water during the soaking process and it makes it much easier to get more calories into the system in a palatable way.
Start slow, and gradually increase.
Oil is the cheapest, safest form of calories.

[QUOTE=JB;7138484]
Yep, for the most part :slight_smile:

Pelleted beet pulp is more dense than shreds, so I’m not sure the conversion. Shredded beep (the stuff I get) is about 9c/lb, and then when that’s soaked, just 1lb is a pretty large volume.

I don’t know if pelleted bp is as dense as a typical pelleted “other thing”, which tend to be in the 3c/lb range, but if we assume maybe 4c/lb, then if a 2 quart scoop (which I’ll assume here is “the scoop”) holds 8 cups of the pelleted bp, that’s 32 cups which (still assuming 4c/lb) 8lb. If that’s the pre-soaked volume that is a HUGE volume and takes a long time to eat, even at 4lb per serving.

If that’s scoops of pre-soaked beep, then there’s no way to know the dry poundage because that all depends on how much water there was.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure how many cups of pellets to a pound but do know that a large coffee can almost full (think thumb in far enough to grip) is around 8 pounds, give or take a ounces depending on the pellet size. Bottom of the bag pellets weigh heavier as they are smaller and pack tighter into a container

Is a “large coffee” about like a current 33oz Folgers can? if so, that’s roughly a quart (32oz) but I don’t know of the oz measurement there is for weight or volume :frowning:

Beet pulp puts weight on some horses because it’s highly digestible, not because it has calories. In fact, many people with IR horses feed it because when you rinse/soak/rinse the molasses free kind it can be quite low in sugar and calories. So, if a horse is skinny because it’s not digesting things well then BP is great. If your horse is skinny because it needs more calories then there are other more efficient ways to do it (oil, fat supplements, higher calorie grain.) There’s also the something wrong with it that the vet needs to diagnose possibility too. Cushing’s can, and does, present with muscle wasting that is often thought of as “just skinny.”

I dunno -they come holding almost two pounds of coffee but I do know that they hold enough beet pulp for two feeds.

2lb is 32oz do I bet that’s a weight measure on the bottle. That doesn’t help, too bad :frowning:

The beet pulp pellets are very dense so half a scoop weighs about a pound. The pellets should be soaked thoroughly before feeding with at least twice as much water by volume for shreds and 3-4 times for pellets. I use them to add fiber to a horses diet more than anything.

[QUOTE=shelbylynnsperformancehorses;7138200]
My older horse is retired so he is not worked and my arabian is in lite work at the moment so I feel like they are getting fed more calories than they are burning.[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t matter how it “feels”.
You need to add up the numbers.
It can be an eye-opening exercise.

[QUOTE=JB;7138594]
2lb is 32oz do I bet that’s a weight measure on the bottle. That doesn’t help, too bad :([/QUOTE]

The can says 908 grams…this metric crap still confuses me after all this time and 908 gr of coffee beans fits nicely in that can.