Begging to make something out of myself in the equestrian world...

The jury is out. This is pretty textbook alter denial. The phrasing is EXACTLY the same as every other time we’ve had alters…

[QUOTE=ChinUpHeelsDown;6100629]
Sorry, I don’t quite understand you… Are you insinuating that I am the other poster in the H/J forum? I can’t tell :confused:
If you are, I can assure you I’m not, hahaha. :lol:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ChinUpHeelsDown;6100657]I just read the other post and apparently some people think that I am the other poster. Well, I’m not and I can’t put it in plainer terms than that. I should have checked the other forums to see if there were any similar posts I could have read instead of just creating this one, that’s my fault.

I do appreciate the advice given so far, though. You guys are helping me out a lot.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;6100754]
The jury is out. This is pretty textbook alter denial. The phrasing is EXACTLY the same as every other time we’ve had alters…[/QUOTE]

Same fondness of somewhat oddly placed commas :wink:

I’ll admit, I have not read all of this thread and might be a little cranky this morning, but my response is simple. You are 16, a lot of working student positions take 16 year olds. Now is the time when you should apply to one of these positions so you can start this summer. This is how you spend all day working as hard as you claim to want to work, learning and making connections. It’s not rocket science.
Again, sorry if I’m just cranky, but as a working student who is going after exactly what you are describing, I am exhausted!

Yikes! Now the stubborn mule in me just wants to prove you wrong. :wink: Any chance the mods would be willing to settle the petty dispute and check our IP addresses?

Remember, this person writes so well she could be an English teacher (by her own admission). The posters are one in the same.

This may sound cynical, but just today, someone I know well has now put out her shingle as a “trainer.” She has a fancy website stating all the things she can do. The problem is that she has no experience doing any of the things she says she can do. Her show record is basically non-existent and the only time she was a working student was when she was a teenager in high school and she worked one summer for a dressage trainer. She did go to college, but since finding a job in California has been a struggle, she is now a “trainer” and is getting clients. Granted these are not high paying clients with high dollar horses, but clients nonetheless. How long she will stay in business is anyone’s guess, but it proves that even with no experience you can be a “trainer” and get clients. I anticipate the OP will probably be doing the same thing sooner then later.

Glad I checked in today.

Wow. Well, one thing, although I am still just a BarnMom-in-training, and don’t have much to contribute by way of helpful advice or information, threads like these are ones I look forward to, because I feel like I learn so much.

So whatever the deal is, I want to thank Emily and everyone who took the time to answer her. It has taken me the whole day off-and-on to read this thread carefully … it is a world of instruction. I totally feel like I went to horse school today!

ChinUp whatsherface sounds different than the OP of this thread, if you ask me… Different writing styles, at least IMO. Although it is a rather odd coincidence, if you ask me.

“You know how I feel about coincidences, Abby.”
“Yes, Gibbs, even equatorial pigmies know how you feel about coincidences.”

:lol:

[QUOTE=GingerJumper;6103696]

:lol:[/QUOTE]

I love you for that.

[QUOTE=GingerJumper;6103696]

:lol:[/QUOTE]

That just made my year. Thank you :smiley:

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;6101734]
This may sound cynical, but just today, someone I know well has now put out her shingle as a “trainer.” She has a fancy website stating all the things she can do. The problem is that she has no experience doing any of the things she says she can do. Her show record is basically non-existent and the only time she was a working student was when she was a teenager in high school and she worked one summer for a dressage trainer. [/QUOTE]Could this be the person I am thinking of? The one who “forgot” to feed my horse lunch?

I am begging for this thread to be over!

Yes Peggy, I am sure it is.

[QUOTE=alittlegray;6090824]

DD is 13 and a pretty solid rider, and even though she has her foot in the barn door, she is working for every step she takes. We are paying good money for BNT instruction, and she still went every day last summer from 8-6 to spend the day working along with the other working students mucking, wrapping, washing, folding, grooming, hand walking, feeding, rolling bandages, packing trunks, turning out, etc. It was hard hard hard hard work under the hot Virginia summer sun. For FREE. Didn’t involve a bit of riding any of the other horses in the barn, but she did it to be a better horsewoman. It’s paying dues and learning ropes. While her friends were on vacation, she was cleaning stalls.

What is my point for you, OP?

No one is going to “hand you” anything. You need to take that grooming job even if there is no riding involved just to get your foot in the door and get experience. You need to pay more dues than you ever thought possible. Nothing is “too beneath” you. …
What you need to NOT do is have multiple personalities posting the same ranting threads about how you are better than other teens in the same position and should be given ‘a chance’ just because of that. Because honey, you aren’t. There are 5 million teens who feel the exact same way and are willing to work just as hard. Keep it real, be humble, and be willing to do whatever it takes even if it is ‘grooming with no chance of riding.’[/QUOTE]

With all due respect for your DD’s hard work, she and the OP here are not in the same position. Your DD has some BNT-quality instruction on- and off the horses. The OP appears not to. So your “taking the OP down a peg” by saying “honey, you aren’t so special, there are other teens who work just as hard as you” is missing the point. The OP has to do something to get the opportunity to rub shoulders with more knowledgeable pros and learn from them. Your DD got that by virtue of your family giving her access to the BNT’s barn. Her hard work pays off in a way that the OP’s-- maybe just as diligent and long at her mom’s place-- will not… unless she moves up and out.

Ah, one of the accused asked for an IP addy check. The witch hunt of even the most annoying tech-savvy, Janus-faced teens by some bored adults doesn’t impress me. Mods, I think you should clear the name of ChinUpHeelsDown if she/he asks for it.

Aspiring Riders Like Us

Hi, Emily. You sound EXACTLY like me. In fact, you ARE me. I am in the same exact situation as you. I’m 17 years old, a junior in high school. I have wanted to be around horses and ride since I was a year old, my parents say. I did everything I could to be around horses until I finally took proper lessons at age 10. I quickly showed my instructor that I wanted to learn anything and everything possible. I owned my first horse at age 14 and began showing when I was 13. Local hunter shows, hunter paces, etc. Now I ride 4-6 days a week, multiple horses a day, work at another barn doing barn chores and mucking stalls 2 days a week, and I am loving it. I am now the girl that everyone at my show barn comes up to with their horse and pays me to ride them. I showed my first green OTTB to a Reserve Champion, and have a few others that I ride consistently. Just like you, however, I have NEVER in my life been on a “nice” horse. You are at least fortunate enough to have been on some very nice dressage horses. All the horses I have ridden have been problem horses, young ones, or pleasure. My family, nor I, have any money to spend on anything more than a local hunter show on a decent, hand made Appaloosa (my first horse, Cooper). I have never been to an “A” rated show (not even to watch), never been under the watchful eye of an BNT, or anything of that sort (however, I love my current trainer and she has taught me some valuable lessons). I work very hard every day to ride the horses that I get. I have learned from reading about famous riders such as Denny Emerson and Peter Leone, that you should ride ANY horse you can get your hands on. And, most importantly, to learn ALL aspects of this business, from cleaning stalls to mowing grass, to grooming and care. So I take pride in what I do at the moment. I know that I am learning.

But, just like you, my ultimate dream, my goal, is to ride and compete at the highest levels…to work everyday on a farm where I can groom, train, teach, ANYTHING. And I plan to get there. I never like to leave on vacations with my family because I can’t stand to not train for that long. I have never gone to one school dance in my high school life (which my parents aren’t very thrilled about). I never go to sleepovers or to the mall, or hang out with friends. I am always with the horses so much that it drives my family crazy. I will be a senior in high school next year. I have to start getting my life together. And after some reflection (some daily reflection), I have decided that I am serious about my desire to go all the way in this industry. I am currently calling any BNT I can find, asking for a working student position because I believe, from lots of reading, that that is the best way to start. I have been to plenty of equestrian job websites. I am looking for a place where I can live in. I will move anywhere in the U.S to get my opportunity. I will MAKE my opportunity. And all the while, my parents, trainer and other top people have taught me that it is critical that I go to college and get some kind of a major. Know what else is similar about us? We both love English. :slight_smile: I am in AP English right now in high school, and I plan to major in business and literature/english. And on top of all of that, I will have to find a way to make some money to support myself. I am advancing past the level of my first horse, Cooper, so I am selling him to make money for a car to transport myself. I will need gas money, food money, basic essentials- that’s all I need. But I plan to make it work.

So, after my long rant, just know that you are NOT ALONE. I understand you, girl. You and I are one of thousands that dream of this sport as a career. We are not that special. But we both have the drive, determination, and passion to push ourselves. I admire your confidence and passion. Like I said, you and me are extremely similar. One thing I have learned recently is that being humble and down-to-earth are SOOO important. I think young, aspiring riders like us tend to get so hard-headed, thinking we deserve everything right away. Not in ANY way am I saying that we act spoiled, or arrogant. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. But, go in with too much confidence? It shines the wrong light on you. When you do get your opportunity to prove yourself, which I am pretty sure that you will, you need to show a calm confidence. You need to be humble, and realize that most big-timers have been in your shoes before, so they understand your situation. You are nothing unusual to them. Like I said, we are one of thousands. All you need to prove to anyone is that THIS is your passion, you have talent, and you will work hard on the skills that you need to improve. AND, most importantly, that you will never give up on it. Ever.

I am only 17, so I don’t know everything. In fact, I don’t know much at all. Compared to most aspiring riders, I’m a nobody. So you don’t have to listen to anything I just said. But I plan to do all I can to make my dream a reality. I wish you the best, Emily. :slight_smile:

This thread is a year old. (You might have missed the date I understand) It might be best not bring dramatic threads up from the past.

Ok, I see now. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Horserider15;6810050]
Hi, Emily. You sound EXACTLY like me. In fact, you ARE me. I am in the same exact situation as you. I’m 17 years old, a junior in high school. I have wanted to be around horses and ride since I was a year old, my parents say. I did everything I could to be around horses until I finally took proper lessons at age 10. I quickly showed my instructor that I wanted to learn anything and everything possible. I owned my first horse at age 14 and began showing when I was 13. Local hunter shows, hunter paces, etc. Now I ride 4-6 days a week, multiple horses a day, work at another barn doing barn chores and mucking stalls 2 days a week, and I am loving it. I am now the girl that everyone at my show barn comes up to with their horse and pays me to ride them. I showed my first green OTTB to a Reserve Champion, and have a few others that I ride consistently. Just like you, however, I have NEVER in my life been on a “nice” horse. You are at least fortunate enough to have been on some very nice dressage horses. All the horses I have ridden have been problem horses, young ones, or pleasure. My family, nor I, have any money to spend on anything more than a local hunter show on a decent, hand made Appaloosa (my first horse, Cooper). I have never been to an “A” rated show (not even to watch), never been under the watchful eye of an BNT, or anything of that sort (however, I love my current trainer and she has taught me some valuable lessons). I work very hard every day to ride the horses that I get. I have learned from reading about famous riders such as Denny Emerson and Peter Leone, that you should ride ANY horse you can get your hands on. And, most importantly, to learn ALL aspects of this business, from cleaning stalls to mowing grass, to grooming and care. So I take pride in what I do at the moment. I know that I am learning.

But, just like you, my ultimate dream, my goal, is to ride and compete at the highest levels…to work everyday on a farm where I can groom, train, teach, ANYTHING. And I plan to get there. I never like to leave on vacations with my family because I can’t stand to not train for that long. I have never gone to one school dance in my high school life (which my parents aren’t very thrilled about). I never go to sleepovers or to the mall, or hang out with friends. I am always with the horses so much that it drives my family crazy. I will be a senior in high school next year. I have to start getting my life together. And after some reflection (some daily reflection), I have decided that I am serious about my desire to go all the way in this industry. I am currently calling any BNT I can find, asking for a working student position because I believe, from lots of reading, that that is the best way to start. I have been to plenty of equestrian job websites. I am looking for a place where I can live in. I will move anywhere in the U.S to get my opportunity. I will MAKE my opportunity. And all the while, my parents, trainer and other top people have taught me that it is critical that I go to college and get some kind of a major. Know what else is similar about us? We both love English. :slight_smile: I am in AP English right now in high school, and I plan to major in business and literature/english. And on top of all of that, I will have to find a way to make some money to support myself. I am advancing past the level of my first horse, Cooper, so I am selling him to make money for a car to transport myself. I will need gas money, food money, basic essentials- that’s all I need. But I plan to make it work.

So, after my long rant, just know that you are NOT ALONE. I understand you, girl. You and I are one of thousands that dream of this sport as a career. We are not that special. But we both have the drive, determination, and passion to push ourselves. I admire your confidence and passion. Like I said, you and me are extremely similar. One thing I have learned recently is that being humble and down-to-earth are SOOO important. I think young, aspiring riders like us tend to get so hard-headed, thinking we deserve everything right away. Not in ANY way am I saying that we act spoiled, or arrogant. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. But, go in with too much confidence? It shines the wrong light on you. When you do get your opportunity to prove yourself, which I am pretty sure that you will, you need to show a calm confidence. You need to be humble, and realize that most big-timers have been in your shoes before, so they understand your situation. You are nothing unusual to them. Like I said, we are one of thousands. All you need to prove to anyone is that THIS is your passion, you have talent, and you will work hard on the skills that you need to improve. AND, most importantly, that you will never give up on it. Ever.

I am only 17, so I don’t know everything. In fact, I don’t know much at all. Compared to most aspiring riders, I’m a nobody. So you don’t have to listen to anything I just said. But I plan to do all I can to make my dream a reality. I wish you the best, Emily. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh! Dear, not again? You write that this is your first post on this forum?

I believe you when you write; “Hi Emily ,you sound exactly like me,in fact you ARE me”…
Perhaps I am old and cynical, however, after reading the few posts in your greenie persona, I worry that one or all of the following might be true.

1. I am becoming a jaded old person, or,

2. Emily is coming back in the guise of another, or , that…

3. There are an alarming number of young ladies of exactly the same age posting the same angst, repeatedly, in much the same manner.

No, don’t worry I’m not Emily. I understand what she’s feeling, and I went on my rant to show her that. But at the end I stated that being humble is major in this sport. You need people to like you. That’s something I understand better now, but something that this girl didn’t get at all. That’s my only reason for posting here. I’m not trying to start anything, I just wanted to voice my opinion, just like all of you did. I don’t know Emily nor do I agree with her attitude at all. Sorry you feel that way.
I didn’t realize how old this thread was, and I shouldn’t have brought it up. My bad.