Begging to make something out of myself in the equestrian world...

[QUOTE=SaturdayNightLive;6087298]

Honestly.

The people posting on this thread aren’t being harsh - they are posting from experience. The “equestrian world” isn’t a place where all your dreams come true - it’s a serious business populated with serious people. You want to play in the big leagues? Then suck it up, Buttercup. It doesn’t come easy and it doesn’t come free.

Someone who truly wanted to make it in the industry would take the incredible amount of insight found in this thread and would put it to good use.

The rest will pout about how everyone’s being a big meanie head and they will get exactly nowhere.

Y’all should read my sig line and take it to heart - the road to the top is a long one.[/QUOTE]

This. All of it. So, so true! I only wish we had known about the COTH forum when DD got seriously into horses. We have learned so much from those who have “been there” and share their wisdom on this forum. We are deeply grateful!

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;6087380]
QUOTE]Zazou won a scholarship. it was in the contract of that scholarship that she was given an almost-free ride to WEF with a BNT. she wasn’t picked out of the blue by the BNT herself. she was already at the 3’6 level, showed true natural talent (that lets face it, most of us don’t have!) and then worked very very very hard for Missy for a long time to realize her Maclay dream. she was not showing in the 2’6 hunters and given the fast track to the top.[/QUOTE]

This is not totally accurate. If you want to know the real story, I suggest you contact her mom who post here on Coth as Andy Warhol or her California trainer, Release First.[/QUOTE]

well she won the RM Scholarship, did she not? that was essentially what i was trying to get at, as well as the idea that she dropped everything and completely committed to moving clear across the country to go for what she wanted.

i just wanted to reiterate that you either have to have so much raw talent that you get picked out of the crowd (ie. Colvin) or you have much dedication as well as some solid connections and you work your butt off to make it there with some lucky breaks along the way. either way, both those situations are few and far between and I feel like too many kids are led to believe that this happens far more frequently and in a bit of a different way than it actually transpires.

details aside, i guess i’m just trying to emphasize that the most surefire way to get where you want to go in this business is to take a step back, find a career or some form of income that allows you to support yourself in your riding, and then come back. without money, it’s very very difficult and your chances of making it big are slim. i find that so many kids are focused on getting it all done before they hit 18 and that the equitation is the be-all end-all of any riding success, which is sad, because that is probably THE most difficult division to compete in when your funding is limited.

Here is the bottom line.

The type of horses you will need to get the chance to ride and learn from to get to where you want to be cost a lot of money to get to that level. Having you learn on them with your current skill set will not progress their training or increase their worth in any way. Shows like WEF cost a lot of money to participate in. Someone ultimately has to pay that bill.

If you can’t then what do you bring to the table to make someone want to pay it for you? And why you rather than literally thousands of other kids in the same or better positions than you?

That’s the question you need to answer.

[QUOTE=xemilyx805;6085124]
I’m out to make something of myself. I think everyone out there who rides has a dream of traveling and competing at the highest level. Well, for me it’s a lot more than a dream. I know that everyone else might say that also, but in this case it’s very different. I am willing to give up everything to do this. I want to be in the equestrian world for the rest of my life, and I have never wanted anything but. My life has been giving up expensive clothing, technology, and everything else, for riding clothes, tack, and all horse things. My life revolves around horses and I love every single second of it. I heard a sermon about fulfillment, and being happy. Well, I know exactly what fulfills me.
In the summer I do the exact same thing every day. I wake up early and run anywhere from one to five miles. Then I feed the horses, and pick stalls or paddocks while they eat. After that I ride the horses we have for training at my house, and then I ride my own horses. I stay outside working and riding and sometimes teaching until it’s too dark to do so anymore. Usually I’m too busy to even eat lunch and haven’t sat down or rested all day. I’m up at 6 and I don’t rest again until 9 when I collapse into bed. For most people, this is the day that they groan about having, and try to avoid. But these are the days I love to have. That is the type of day I want to have every single day. That is where I find my fulfillment and my happiness.
Sometimes I have lessons that are long and almost painful, where I’m working so hard that I’m sweating and almost out of breath, even in the winter, and when I get off my legs are shaking and exhausted. Most riders hate these lessons, where they’re posting the ring without stirrups, they get off almost bow legged, and they wake up the next day sore. These are my favorite lessons. Those are the kind of lessons I crave. I want to work so hard that I can barely move. I want to ride all day. I don’t need to take breaks or vacations. This kind of work is my ideal.
I was tailor made. Everything about me is suited for this lifestyle. I was created to not be attached to life anywhere. I love my family more than anything, and I love my friends. But, I could leave in a heartbeat. My dream is with horses and competing and, especially in the way my personality is, nothing stands in my way. I’ve never been homesick. I am made to travel. My home is wherever I’m closest to my dream, whether it’s the barn, my own small farm, or anywhere I get the equestrian knowledge I crave. I will work my fingers to the bone if I think it is getting me closer to my dream. George Morris himself said that what he looks for in top riders is attitude not aptitude. It’s all about how bad you want it.
I was never one to party or ever do anything wrong. I could never waste my time with things like that. I know that messing up in my youth could affect my dream, so I keep on a straight path. I never gave into any type of peer pressure. Making stupid mistakes as a teenager would bleed into my future and that was a risk I never wanted to take. Every single decision I make is based on how it will affect my future. With a goal and dream like mine, I can’t mess up and jeopardize everything I’m working towards. And I know I can make it.
At two years old I was riding better than I was walking. I was desperate to ride and for my birthday, my father bought me a couple months’ worth of riding lessons. When we showed up at the barn the trainer saw me and took my parents aside. She informed them that she only worked with children five or above and kids as young as me didn’t have the leg muscle needed to really ride. My mother convinced her just to test me and if I didn’t have the strength she would come back in three years. Well, at two years old, I could ride half of the large dressage arena in half seat, and at three I could post the trot by myself. I was the best student that my instructor ever had. Every single day I was at the barn. If I wasn’t riding I was helping however I could, brushing the horses, picking rocks out of the ring, and picking stalls when I started to get older. I’m still the exact same way.
If anyone has the attitude to thrive in this industry it’s me. I have been trying for the past two years to get into some type of situation where I can make my way to the top, without buying it. I don’t have the money for eighty dollar lessons three times a week. I also don’t have the money to buy a half a million dollar horse, and board it at a prestigious show stables. And I don’t have the money to be shipping out and competing every weekend. But I have an attitude better than any kid I’ve seen yet on the circuit. I’ve been on the circuit as the lowest on the chain. I’ve been grooming for riders who take everything that they have for granted, who complain about the heat, and would rather be relaxing by a pool. I don’t ever complain about where I am even if it’s grooming, and I’m thankful for every opportunity I get to be an inch closer to my dream, even if it means being the absolute lowest on the totem pole. But, if I got the opportunity to be on the horse, not under it, and in the ring, not outside of it, I would never let anyone down, or ever take it for granted.
It’s true that I’ve never had the opportunity to ride a nice trained hunter or equitation horse. I’ve never had the chance to train with any instructor more than once a week. I’ve never ridden a horse that could take me around a 3’ course. But, the only reason I don’t have the skills is because I have never had the opportunity. If I was given that opportunity I promise I will blow people away. I have a work ethic like no one else. I am 100% sure that I belong in the equestrian world, training, teaching, and competing. I will do absolutely whatever it takes to make it there.
Trainers say they like to take on riders because they know their students want it. They want to win. They will work their butts off to win. They’re not there for someone to hold their hand and speak kindly to them. They’re there for someone to force them out of their comfort zones, and push them as far as they can possibly go. They’re not scared to get their feelings hurt, they’re there to work, and ride, and win. I’m that type of rider. I will start at the complete bottom. I will work all week, just for one lesson at the end of it. I will ride any horse anyone puts me on and work harder than anyone else. I will do anything if I know that it will get me closer to my dream. I just beg that someone will give me the chance to prove myself.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry, OP, but come on–this is fiction. This is like the Donald Trump of COTH talking. You are 16, for crying out loud. You are playing these nice people here.

Kind of off the current topic, but this is a VERY COMMON syndrome-
Someone who has been on the COTH BB about a year announces that COTH has “changed for the worse”.

Nope.

A- As you have become more comfortable here, your perception has changed. You become more sensitive to the disagreement.

B- The COTH BB goes through cycles of incivility. I can assure you there have been MANY times in the past that were MUCH less civil.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;6086072]
This just rubs me the wrong way.

You had time to post paragraphs and paragraphs detailing how very much you want it and asking for help, but then when other people take THEIR time to give you the help you asked for, you are too busy to even read the responses you asked for?

Now we are all supposed to PM the 16 year old who can’t make time to read her own thread?

At least want it bad enough to READ the suggestions you are given when you ASK FOR it.[/QUOTE]

:yes: I couldn’t agree more! You’re too busy with school work to read all the responses to your request for advice???
So, I guess all the adults who have taken the time to respond to you, including the very generous professional trainer who wrote an informative and heartfelt response AREN’T BUSY?

You have an attitude issue that needs to be addressed if you expect to be successful at anything in life. People have given freely of their time to respond to your request for help and YOU’RE TOO BUSY TO READ OUR RESPONSES???

A quick glance at the OP’s posts in the past shows that the, “you can go ahead and post, but I’m not reading anymore even though I asked for your help” thing is old hat for her. It’s the BB version of putting an index finger in each ear and yelling, "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEEEAR YOU!!! Charming.

And she’s heard all of this before, too:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275839

Holy deja vu, Batman! And from many of the same people, too. :lol:

[quote=PonyPenny;6087380]If you want to know the real story, I suggest you contact her mom who post here on Coth as Andy Warhol or her California trainer, Release First.
[/quote]

Funnily enough, Andy Warhol posted on that previous thread with all the specs for the Ronnie Mutch program. BTW, I believe Andy Warhol is Zazou’s dad, not her mom, IIRC. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MHM;6087625]
Holy deja vu, Batman! And from many of the same people, too. :lol:

Funnily enough, Andy Warhol posted on that previous thread with all the specs for the Ronnie Mutch program. BTW, I believe Andy Warhol is Zazou’s dad, not her mom, IIRC. :)[/QUOTE]No, the mom, probably named after one of their horses which are named after artists. Her dad does do something in the art world, which PonyPenny will probably remember the specifics of.

Thanks, Peggy. :slight_smile:

I rode competitively at the Jr. A/O level for about 5 years, until the economy tanked and I had to sell my horse. Up until then I had dreams of grandeur, about majoring in equine business management in college and running my own barn. Well, reality set in and I realized I had a passion for writing and decided to peruse an avenue in something that would help me fund the type of horse and level I wanted. While I sold my horse back in 2008 and graduated in 2009 I am now working two jobs. One full time as a proposal writer and a part time free lance job as a grant writer. I am working just as hard at these jobs as I did when I was riding at the 3’6" A circuit level with the hopes that the real world application will help fund my riding again.

Just another perspective for you…

you gotta find your niche…

Just to give you another perspecitive (which I don’t even know if you are reading this anymore, but maybe it will help someone else shrug)

I have a BS of Agriculture in Equine Scinence from UGA. I grew up riding and showing locally, but nothing uber impressive since I had limited funds. Never really thought about being a trainer-I didn’t have the confidence in myself or riding. I was looking to be a barn manager.

All of a sudden, something great happened:

1. Found my confidence (thanks great instructors that build you up instead of putting you down!), and learned an entirely different approach to riding that made me connect with my horses. Hey, maybe I can do this training thing after all!

2. Realized that riding and showing exclusively on the “A” circuit didn’t mesh with my other life goals of having a family and steady home life. Living on the road with young kids has got to be…I don’t know, a wish for a mental breakdown? :lol:
    Hubby also wasn’t happy with living alone most of the time.

3. I found that my niche was twofold: breaking babies (which very few people do anymore) and fixing problem horses (which most people don’t want to do, period). I am pretty darn good at both. Most of the horses in my barn are “diamonds in the rough” and boy do they show up rough! So I put in the time and the sweat equity, with horse and rider, to make great partnerships of sound mind and body. No, we don’t show ALL.THE.TIME. And some seasons we show very little, if at all. That’s because when moving up divisions usually you hit speed bumps and you have to iron out the details at home for a while.

I also have clients with limited funds because, let’s be honest, if you have the money for a diamond, typically you would sell the “rough” one and get a made one. My clients LOFF their horses and want it to work out, find their way to me, and make it work. So WEF…yeah, not going south for a while :lol: But I am comfortable and happy and working with horses every day…what’s not to love!

So although you want to be this super fantatstic pro rider, there are so many areas within the industry in which you can be part and earn a living. Yes, mine is not so glamorous as others, but I feel just as fulfilling. And I have two young kids (ages 5 and 19 months) that live fulfulling lives themselves. Daughter still can do dance and swim lessons, son can do whatever he wants as he grows up, both go to school and have friends…things that would be difficult to do if going with me to from WEF all the way to Indoors.

Just my perspecitive.

PS-I think your OP sounds very desperate for success, and nothing puts people off more than desperation. It stems from fear, the fear that you WON’T get to be this great rider. Instead, come off with confidence that you will get where you want. Confidence is alluring-desperation is a turn-off (ask me how I know :wink: ).

Good luck!

Lots of wise advice on this thread, which can be summed up easily. Don’t “beg.” Get to work. :slight_smile:

Practical Horseman had a great article on Victoria Colvin’s path to success which may give you some direction. Good luck.

Look at college as an opportunity not as a hinderance
Most college teams have at least a few horses that have been retired from the Big Eqs and are capable of jumping at least 3’-3’3". This is a great aspect of college riding for you considering that you said you havent had the opportunity to ride a horse that is capable of 3’.
Additionally college teams are a GREAT way to make connections. At a single IHSA show there are 10 trainers, most of whom train outside of the college team as well. I catch ride for my teams trainer 3-5 horses a few times a week. Yeah, theyre mostly babies but her clients see me ride and ask me to put training rides on them and I am also offered free lessons on my trainers horse.

Bottom line: go to college. Get a degree and make money to finance your riding.

If you are receiving free lessons from a trainer for whom you catch ride, aren’t you risking your ammy status?

As a young adult without funds, the hardest thing about getting show miles and becoming competitive (emphasis on becoming) is abiding by the ammy rules.

[QUOTE=JackieBlue;6087588]
A quick glance at the OP’s posts in the past shows that the, “you can go ahead and post, but I’m not reading anymore even though I asked for your help” thing is old hat for her. It’s the BB version of putting an index finger in each ear and yelling, "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEEEAR YOU!!! Charming.

And she’s heard all of this before, too:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275839[/QUOTE]

Oh what a shame. Children that refuse to learn. Very disappointing. :no:
I knew I liked you JackieBlue. Good job

Great advice. This is the way to go if you want to be in the horse world but don’t have the huge funds to do the big time shows. I’m in the same position as you, EI, as I said in my post. SOMEONE’S GOTTA DO IT! And start the horses for the riders to sit there and look pretty on at the big shows. It’s awesome to know that YOU created that horse that now went on the someone else with more money to take them where they deserve to go. It does suck sometimes though to know that could have been you up there winning with them. Also, you can buy a nice baby for a little over 10k where as you could buy a mediocre made horse that’s not going to win much of anywhere for the same price.

Edit: BTW EnglishIvy the grey on your homepage is gorgeous!

If you are planning to BE a trainer, you are going to have to give up your amateur status at some point.

What is a “mortified”? :confused:

[QUOTE=moonriverfarm;6088157]
What is a “mortified”? :confused:[/QUOTE]

There are “modified” clases which are basically 6" lower than the normal spec. So normal Children’s Hunters are 3’, but the “modified” Children’s Hunters are 2’6".

“Mortified” is a humorous short hand.