Unlimited access >

Being a Spectator at Devon Question

I’m bringing a dear friend to spectate at Devon on Wednesday and Thursday, June 1st and 2nd. It’s been a bucket list item for her to see the show and country fair. Covid derailed prior plans, and she’s 81 this year, so it’s become a now or (likely) never kind of thing.

I’m wondering what the parking situation is like? I read on the website there is limited day parking across the street? Any idea how limited (how likely we will be to park there)? And if that’s not possible, what are my other options? She is mobile and walks okay, but I expect she’s going to be tired at the conclusion of our time there, and she’s a little less steady when she’s tired.

Any other advice on making it a great experience is welcome. I did plan ahead and got tickets in East 1. I think (hope!) they are actual stadium type seats, not a bleacher bench seat?!?! I have day and evening tickets as I wasn’t sure exactly how much she is going to be wanting/able to do.

In advance, thank you!

I would think the parking situation would depend a lot on what time of day you get there. If you get there earlier on Wednesday, it might not be that hard to find a spot. Some of the neighbors close by also let people park on their property for a fee.

But regardless, I would think you could drop her off right at the entrance gate and then park the car while she waits for you either at the gate or inside.

There are usually a lot of spectators for the Grand Prix on Thursday, so the parking might be more of a challenge.

I’m not sure which way is east, but the seats on the side of the ring closer to the barns are regular bleachers with bench type seats.

1 Like

East is bench type seats.

There is a small amount of parking right next to the showgrounds, on Dorset road, you’re more likely to get in on Wednesday during the day, and it will be more expensive. If you can get in there on Thursday during the day and stay through the evening that might work as well.

Thursday evening is tons of fun for the Grand Prix and also a bit of a mob scene.

One street to the west is a restaurant/shopping area with some parking that does NOT have a pass through to Devon but you can walk on Berkley road or route 30 to get to the showgrounds. For thursday evening, if you are stuck for parking try the bank lot on the corner of Berkley and South Waterloo road. Store is Anthrropologie and restaurant is Amis Trattoria - make reservations if you want to eat there during Devon week.

There are no sidewalks so people walk on the edge of the road.

People also park across route 30 on the north side. There are normally policemen directing traffic for you to cross the main road. Further down Berkley ( heading west, past Waterloo road) is a church that parks folks on the grass as well on thursday.

The showgrounds are on Route 30 x Dorset Road - Main entrance for spectators.

There is food on the grounds, I’m thinking you’ll find all this out on wednesday which is an easier day to navigate.

Also, Ladies room is past the box seats to the right of the entrance when you arrive.

The Devon booth with Devon swag for sale is just inside the entrance and usually fun to browse.

If I were you I would pay for the parking closest to the Show Grounds and be patient thursday night when leaving (big traffic jam).

It has been 3 years since the last Devon because of COVID and I’m looking forward to seeing it all again. I hope you and your friend enjoy the show.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the responses, they are super helpful!

East 1 has the blue stadium seats with a back so you chose well. There are bathrooms under the East grandstands and in the Clydesdale Corner so you should be ok in that regard.
On Wednesday you should be able to park in the main lot across from the entrance without too much trouble if you arrive early. If you have a hotel room your best bet is to get an Uber. It removes all the hassle and depending on how crowded things are you can choose which gate you get picked up at. The back gate is usually less crowded and isn’t a terrible walk from your seats. It is across the schooling area and you won’t have to push your way through the throngs of people. Devon also sells parking for the week. I’m not suggesting you shell out a few hundred dollars for that but you could call the office and see if there is a way to buy parking just for those two days. They may be sympathetic to the bucket list. There is also some handicap parking if your friend happens to have a placard due to her age.
I live in the area and will be there most days so if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

No advice, I just wanted to say you are awesome for doing this for your friend! My mom and I are kind of working our way through some of the major horse shows as a bucket list, as well.

2 Likes

When available single day parking can only be purchased from the parking attendant. There is a very limited number of single day parking passes available. Single Day Parking Passes are not available through Advanced Sales or at the Ticket Office during the show.

June 1st and 2nd parking if available will be $40 per day

https://www.devonhorseshow.net/devon-horse-show/parking/

I would use Uber or a cab …especially with the friend being 81

I forgot Wednesday is Ladies Day so the front gate is going to be pure madness in the morning. I avoid the hat crew like the plague so I would definitely recommend an Uber to back gate. Once they are corralled into the judging area or wandering after it can be fun to see how creative some of the entries are but en masse in the morning is not for the faint of heart. Or maybe just not for me! :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this information!

I am glad to hear I chose the “right” seats! I thought I had read that somewhere online before I purchased them, and that was definitely a large factor in selecting them, but then was second-guessing myself.

We have about an eight hour plus drive to get to Devon, so yes, we definitely have a hotel. In all honesty, I never even thought about doing Uber (I have never used that mode of transportation, yet), but definitely something to seriously consider looking into.

1 Like

Honestly, the Uber idea might work great, since the parking can definitely be a big headache there. Especially with someone who might prefer not to hike too far.

1 Like

since there No sidewalks to me Uber would be the answer

1 Like

Uber/Lyft or Regional Rail. If you can avoid driving into the show ground area you’ll be better off.

1 Like

I loved being a spectator at Devon, although it’s been many years since I’ve been able to go. The Thursday night Grand Prix is always fantastic to watch. How nice of you to take your friend.

1 Like