Being Poor

I know all about having your confidence destroyed. Just look at the responses to some of my early posts here. My ex, who was my horse heroine (female version of a hero) thoroughly and completely destroyed my confidence. Granted, I had only been riding 2 months when I adopted a green OTTB, which I really wouldn’t recommend knowing what I do now. That said, what I did was stop listening to the people and I started listening to my horse. My boy made my prove myself over and over and over again. But when I stepped back and looked at things from a distance I realized he was happy. He wasn’t being destroyed, abused, hurt or injured. I pushed his limits most every day, and he pushed mine. A lot of people had opinions. While I listened to gleen information, I listened to my horse. Today he’s a happy, healthy horse who, despite how bad something frustrates or scares him, tries his best to figure out how to do what I ask of him.

Lesson horses (in my limited experience) tend to be horses that are thrown in a field when they aren’t working. They aren’t the “family members” our own/leased horses are. My best friend had cancer. She took a half lease on an old lesson horse. He was grumpy, miserable to catch and basically an ass. But she listened to him, learned him, and turned him around. He never became a great jumper. He never fully stopped spooking. But his whole attitude changed. She could catch him. He stopped being a jerk in lessons with her and others. She made him happy. Sometimes your horsemanship is way more important than your riding ability. Who gives a crap if you’re not the fanciest dressage rider. Who cares if you win or lose at a competition? Who cares if you take a rail, or 6 down? Did you enjoy your time on the horse? Did YOU cause any injuries to the horse? Did you get hurt or cause anyone else to get hurt? Is the horse’s life better for having known you? Screw what people say when they attack you and run you down. The ones who care about you and the horses will always be willing to offer help or encouragement. The ones who are just looking to make money off you, or those who need to run to down to make themselves seem/feel better are the ones you just ignore.

Remember, not everyone is born with natural ability. Fewer still are born with deep pockets. Do what you feel you must. Listen to the horse. People are really cruel things sometimes. And sometimes a horse isn’t a good fit for you and no matter what you do it’s just not going to work. So don’t let that be the end of you either. I know this is a bit long-winded, just trying to give you examples that I’ve learned rather than just saying “forget the damba$$e$”, because really, that’s too easy and doesn’t ever work for me.

Expenses can be all over the place. Find a used tack store (or 3) and just peruse them. I have a ton of used stuff I bought for fraction of the price of new that’s worth 8 times what I paid for it. Discount stores rock too. For example; Spur Creek gets batches of leftover half chaps that are normally $50 and sells them for $20. The last brand new IRH4 helmet I bought on sale for $90. You can find halfway decent breeches for $20 at an equine consignment shop. You just have to be thrifty and forget about keeping up with the rich people buying brand name stuff. Not that there’s anything wrong with that as a lot of it is really good stuff. But, if you don’t worry about what others think and just get what works that you can afford the only ones who suffer your choices are you and maybe the horse depending upon what it is.

When you get your Masters you’ll be making better money and can afford better name stuff. But it won’t better you, no amount of money can do that. Listen to the horse. The horse will tell you. And then take that to heart.

2 Likes

Eh, it’s uncommon to seriously pursue both postgraduate education and equestrian sports without external financial help, but it’s certainly not unicorn-rare.

I got back into horses (including, eventually, ownership and competition) while completing a Ph.D. in a very rigorous program. With no spouse/partner, no family financial support, no horsey relatives, and no inheritance to help with the bills. Just a little grit and a lot of hard work. I know many other riders who’ve found ways to ride seriously during graduate programs without family money or spousal support. I wasn’t competing at the upper levels of my discipline (honestly I don’t ever expect to have the talent, money, and time for that), but that doesn’t mean that a satisfying equestrian life is incompatible with serious academic pursuits at a postgraduate level. I think it’s a matter of priorities in most cases. For me, the meditative aspect of riding balanced out the stress of grad school and was easily worth the sacrifice.

This thread was started some time ago, so OP may have figured things out in the meantime. If you’re still mulling this over, OP, my thoughts are these: if horses are a top priority for you, you can find a way to make it happen but it will probably involve some serious sacrifice in other areas of your life. Humility, flexibility, and hard work will open a lot of doors in the horse world if you surround yourself with other humble, hard-working equestrians. You can build new confidence through experience if you focus on learning for your own enrichment, rather than trying to keep up with others. If you are fair to the horses you work with and find fulfillment in your equestrian activities, then it doesn’t matter at all what others think of your barn clothes or situation. The people who matter – the people who will truly help you become a better rider – won’t care what you look like or whether your dollars come from an unglamorous side job, so don’t waste your energy worrying about anyone who does. Find the Jeannettes (formerly ponygyrl) out there who will appreciate what you can add to the barn community.

It’s perfectly o.k. to decide that it’s not worth burning the candle at both ends and squeezing extra work hours and barn time into an already demanding schedule. Masters programs are pretty short, and setting aside horses for a couple of years won’t be a huge setback in the grander scheme. It’s also o.k. to decide to take on more work or shift resources from other areas of your life to make horses a possibility. But I encourage you to get really serious about time management if you do – if you get overbooked you’re more likely to disappoint people (most importantly yourself).

As far as the practical side of things, if scraping together the money for weekly lessons is more than you can manage, one way to keep a toe in the horse world is to volunteer at an equine-related non-profit. Therapeutic riding centers, for example, rely on volunteers and can put you in contact with horses and with a community of generally quite caring horsepeople. Sanctuaries and shelters also often need help. Being willing to start at the bottom and man a manure fork is sometimes the easiest way back in without money, and it can be a step toward other opportunities if you approach it with dedication and a good attitude.

I wish you luck with your masters and with the next chapter of your equestrian life.

I’m an adult amateur with a kid (and 1 on the way), and a full time job, and no time to ride. I have a friend who can’t afford a true lease come ride my horse for free. It is a perfect situation and an arrangement I’ve had many times over the years with several different horse friends and acquaintances, and I’ll do it again in the future. I board at barns where people don’t judge you based on your clothes, quality of horse, or riding ability (currently I’m in a barn full of adult amateurs plus 2 working students who work off their lessons- the only horses in the barn are OTTBs, and most are not very advanced). These barns and types of arrangements are not hard to find if you network a bit with local trainers and horse friends. I did the same when I was in college, had negative money, and couldn’t afford regular lessons or a lease.

I don’t believe you should have to wait until you have a stable career to ride. If riding is your passion, as it is for me, then it is important for your mental well being and stress relief. School should be a priority, yes, but a passion is a passion and I believe you can make it work without putting yourself (further) in the poor house. I also don’t think it’s worth sacrificing your quality of life to such an extreme just to pay off debts more quickly.