Unlimited access >

Belly band fly sheet for fly bites on center line

I have a mare with a belly cowlick that attracts small biting flies, mostly in the spring, but off and on throughout fly season. I create a physical barrier with a thick layer of Swat or No Fly Zone (which has a higher melt temperature) but it gets super caked with dirt and sand, and doesn’t work well when it’s really hot. Has anyone has had success with a belly band fly sheet, without using Swat, in this situation? The cowlick is about 8 inches behind her armpit/shoulder on the center line - snug coverage over a large area would be best, and light material is a must as our temps reach 100 degrees regularly. I’m looking at the Shires Highlander Fine Mesh with an elasticized belly band. The Amigo Bug Buster also seems to be popular. TIA!

I have a Schneider’s mosquito mesh fly sheet with belly band. My horse doesn’t suffer specifically with bites on his belly so I cannot say if it would do the trick in your case, but I’ve been very impressed with how well the Schneider’s holds up to daily use.

3 Likes

Try spraying her belly with Ecovet

1 Like