Unlimited access >

Belly guard girth choices for a super girthy mare? Anyone tried the Equifit?

We have a mare that is super girthy, she will just collapse if the girth is even touching her. We have found that she is much happier in a super thick and squishy fleece girth. It is a Professional Choice sheepskin - real sheepskin and about 2" thick (much thicker than the sythetic fleece variety). We can actually tighten the girth with this one, albeit slowly. HOWEVER, my daughter wants to show her in the jumpers and I am on the hunt for a belly guard that will make her happy. I am intrigued by the Equifit ones, but the memory foam liner is only about 1/4" thick and I don’t know if that is squishy enough to be comfortable for her. Has anyone had any experience with girthy horses in the Equifit? I’m also looking into sheepskin lined belly guards, but they are hard to find.

http://www.lucchildericna.com/bellypadfleece.php

You can buy a slip-on belly guard and use her regular girth, if you prefer.

Does the horse actually NEED a belly guard?

Just because your daughter wants to do jumpers, doesn’t mean she needs a belly guard. IMO, they are dangerous unless absolutely necessary to avoid a stud in the stomach.

RugBug:

I agree that belly guards really are only necessary if there is risk of stud in the belly. I don’t know how they are dangerous though. Can you explain that? I’m curious.

Thanks

[QUOTE=stytal;7177648]
RugBug:

I agree that belly guards really are only necessary if there is risk of stud in the belly. I don’t know how they are dangerous though. Can you explain that? I’m curious.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I could be colored by experience, but we had an instance around here that a shoe got caught on the guard, horse fell, trainer was seriously injured (like long term coma, injured)

Oh my! I guess I never though of a horse getting their feet up that tight. Thanks for the info.

Use the girth your daughter’s horse is comfortable in. There’s no need for a belly guard.

[QUOTE=RugBug;7177656]
I could be colored by experience, but we had an instance around here that a shoe got caught on the guard, horse fell, trainer was seriously injured (like long term coma, injured)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but this can happen just as easily with a regular girth. I tape up the center rings on all of my girths because I watched a horse do exactly that with a regular girth. The stud got stuck in the center d-ring on the bottom of a regular leather girth (no belly guard). It caused a big fall, but in this case the rider was just shaken up, not seriously injured.

But I do agree that belly guards are not “necessary” jumper equipment. I used one on my last 1.40m mare because she jumped like she looks in my profile pic…though we generally only used the belly guard attachment when she had studs in. My current 1.40m horse has never used one because his feet have never come near his stomach or chest.

Im an eventer and we use studs quite often. I ran prelim (3’7) with a tight kneed jumper and took him in the 3’9/4’ jumpers with studs and never had issues with him hitting his belly with studs. I checked numerous times as I was worried that he would grab his belly with his grass tips. Never once did this horse have a scratch in the area that a stud guard would be.

IMO unless you are doing the big big stuff (1.3+) with a tight kneed horse then I would forgo the stud guard. I feel some use them because they are a fad, not really a needed item.

If you are stuck on the stud guard then I would go with a slip on. Get it lined with sheepskin if needed. Easy to put on by most tack places especially if you bring the sheepskin.

Equipe also makes a girth with a larger surface under the belly. It is not a stud guard, but it is larger than a normal girth. Comes with a sheepskin and leather insert. They call it an equalizer girth or something.

Thanks everyone. I agree that she doesn’t need the stud guard most of the time, but would feel better having one if she has studs in - just in case. I may try the slip on variety with her regular girth rather than spending $500 to “try” the Equifit.

As an update, my daughter confirmed that she does, in fact, hit her belly guard. So, yes she needs a belly guard - at least when she has studs in. Still hoping someone has tried the Equifit???

Two jumpers have them at our barn and love them for their protective qualities, but the color is really, really orange. They aren’t thick overall, but are a lot more “bendy” than their leathers ones. Both recommend them all the time.