Unlimited access >

BEMER versus PULSE machine

I’m looking for input from those who have experience with both types of PEMF therapy. I’ve been debating on buying a system for quite some time but can’t quite make up my mind. I’m looking in to personal use as well as a side gig; not looking to make a living off the thing, but I’m always game for a side hustle.

Here are some variables to consider:
-I have a couple show horses that may benefit from regular use.

-I attend many upper level shows each year where people regularly pay for any little thing to give them an advantage; somewhat of a side business opportunity.

-The barn I show with, many have PEMF done frequently, and would likely have more done if I had the machine to do so.

-I braid semi-professionally and could offer the service to my braiding clients; a BEMER or similar type blanket system would be more convenient than a machine that needs loops moved frequently in this scenario.

-I do have a full time job so time is limited in the evenings for my own horses; a blanket system would be more convenient.

-I have a broodmare who broke her pelvis two years ago. She does brilliantly with PULSE sessions. I worry that a blanket system may not be powerful enough to reach as deep as she needs.

-I have another geriatric broodmare who benefits from her PULSE sessions. So make that a minimum of 3 horses at home who could benefit. With limited time, a blanket would be more convenient, but see above about the broken pelvis mare.

-My parents would also be getting more frequent PEMF sessions if I owned my own system.

-I often fly to shows across the country, so portability is of concern.

I know this can be a controversial subject and I myself identify as a skeptic. I have the first hand anecdotal evidence that makes this worth pursuing in my mind. My two crippled mares I mention above absolutely flourish with their occasional PULSE sessions.

I have a coworker who I talked in to trying a PULSE session when he aggravated an old back injury with a pinched nerve. He was hardly able to walk in to my barn, yet was able to walk out after the session relatively straight (at least normal, crooked from aforementioned injury) and could touch his toes. I know more sessions would have helped even more, but my PULSE technician comes from over an hour away so not feasible. But even just one session had him relatively back to normal.

Anyways, not trying to talk anyone in to believing in the systems. But rather that I’m aware of the controversy surrounding the devices and that not everyone will be on board with them. Rather, what I’m looking for are comparisons between the two options (blanket system versus a machine) considering my situation and variables listed above. Thoughts and conversation is appreciated.

Apologies if this type of conversation has been posted before. There are so many key words that could be searched for, my search results yielded nothing of this type of conversation.

I feel like you have a lot more versatility with the Pulse systems. The only real disadvantage is not being able to throw it on and leave it.

Not to make things more complicated, but if you’re considering blanket styles, also look into the Sports Innovation blanket. I almost like it more than BEMER as it has more settings for power and time.

I’ll comment on the Sports Innovation blanket. I had used both the Bemer blanket and Magnawave and was interested in the Sports Innovation because it was stronger than Bemer and could do PEMF plus massage plus heat all in the convenience of a blanket system.

I rented it for a month to try before I bought, and I’m glad I did. It was huge and heavy, and tough to get on the horses without a second person to assist. No way would I have wanted to lug that around to shows. I was disappointed because I loved it in theory. I ended up buying a Magnawave.

2 Likes

I opted for a Bemer over a MagnaWave or similar machine because (1) I already had experience with a Bemer and my horse reacted well to it and (2) the blanket system is much more convenient for me. It’s easy to throw the blanket on when I arrive at the barn and let it run well I’m gathering my things and starting to groom. I knew if I had to stand there and manage loops I’d feel rushed or less likely to use it.

I tried a Sports Innovation blanket once, but my horse did not like it. We had to turn the massage function off and he just didn’t seem as relaxed as with the Bemer. He might just prefer a lower power therapy. The Sports Innovation blanket definitely was heavy and cumbersome. I think they make a lighter weight version without the massage but just PEMF and heat, but it costs as much as the full Bemer package that includes the two leg wraps.

I had a Bemer in the past and now have a Magnawave machine. Overall I definitely prefer the Magnawave machine. More powerful, more versatile, and absolutely more marketable in a business sense. I have also seen more clear results with the machine over the Bemer, and I appreciate being able to use it to really identify my horse’s sore spots. I do miss having a Bemer to be able to throw it on the horse and walk away but I truly feel like you have to use it almost every day to see a real benefit. Someone on these forums compared the power in a Bemer to that of a tv remote haha made me laugh but it’s not entirely untrue. I also don’t like that the company is structured like an MLM.

2 Likes

I saw that too in my research today haha. I do worry that a lower power setting won’t be able to get as deep as needed for the mare with the broken pelvis.

Oh, yeah I bet the one that has the massage in it is pretty big. The one I use does not have the massage function. I’ve never thought of it as more cumbersome than the BEMER, and I would certainly never think to need a second person. My horse’s heavyweight is much heavier and difficult than the SI blanket.