Unlimited access >

BEN MAHER & CELLA

BEN MAHER & CELLA will not compete at WEG, the mare is wounded.
A difficult situation for showjumper Team GB.

Le details svp

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/weg/weg-showjumping/ben-maher-cella-world-equestrian-games/

This is almost as sad as when Big Star went off before Spruce :frowning:

The British team is ending up on the young side, I think the replacement is only 22

If Jane Clark owns the horse and is a US citizen, how can Cella compete for GB? Don’t the horses have to be owned in the country they compete for? Or is that only for the Olympics?

According to the FEI Database, Cella’s administering NF is the USA.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7738973]
If Jane Clark owns the horse and is a US citizen, how can Cella compete for GB? Don’t the horses have to be owned in the country they compete for? Or is that only for the Olympics?

According to the FEI Database, Cella’s administering NF is the USA.[/QUOTE]

Only Olympics. The horse’s “citizenship” must be that of the country it represents. This is an olympic rule not an FEI rule.

How did Eric Lamaze and Tiffany Foster go on Artisian horses then? Maybe just one of the owner’s needs to be the same citizen of the rider? I’m pretty sure Eric’s stable might own part ie Torrey Pines…It would be a shame if Cella couldn’t compete with Ben at the Olympics, same with Connor Swail who rides for Susan Grange (A Canadian)

Two horses have died so far in these games and I have lost count of the injuries and withdrawals, something is not right.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7738973]

According to the FEI Database, Cella’s administering NF is the USA.[/QUOTE]

^^^ This. Even if it isn’t the rule, I think it should be. If a horse is on a team representing a country, it should be owned by a citizen of that country. Otherwise, team championships do not mean much.
Riders have to be citizens of the country they ride for; the same should be true of the owners.

http://eventingconnect.today/2014/08/30/cross-country-nightmare-kills-north-american-olympic-team-qualifications/

[QUOTE=Lord Helpus;7739360]
^^^ This. Even if it isn’t the rule, I think it should be. If a horse is on a team representing a country, it should be owned by a citizen of that country. Otherwise, team championships do not mean much.
Riders have to be citizens of the country they ride for; the same should be true of the owners.[/QUOTE]

Totally disagree.
It wouldn’t be fair to a top class rider in a poorer country that doesn’t have an owners with deep pockets. Rich countries already have enough advantages.

It’s all about the horse and rider combo, who cares who owns the horse.

I mean, if you’re going to go down that road, why not take it the next logical step and say only horses bred in a particular country can compete for that country (which was the case for a number of countries up until the 80’s and 90’s)?

[QUOTE=Drvmb1ggl3;7739861]
Totally disagree.
It wouldn’t be fair to a top class rider in a poorer country that doesn’t have an owners with deep pockets. Rich countries already have enough advantages.

It’s all about the horse and rider combo, who cares who owns the horse.

I mean, if you’re going to go down that road, why not take it the next logical step and say only horses bred in a particular country can compete for that country (which was the case for a number of countries up until the 80’s and 90’s)?[/QUOTE]

Definitely, for me it’s all about watching the best horse/rider combinations compete. With the way the sport has globalized it’s becoming more and more common

Ben Maher riding for Jane Clarke
Connor Swail riding for Susan Grange
Eric Lamaze and Tiffany Foster riding for Artisian farms
Beat Mandli has the ride on Kate Dinan’s horses like Antares F

[QUOTE=Calamber;7739351]
Two horses have died so far in these games and I have lost count of the injuries and withdrawals, something is not right.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think the injuries and withdrawals are really different from the past. The internet just makes it accessible. I also don’t see withdrawals as a bad thing. Better than pushing through for the sake of the games.

The deaths are a different topic and do not seem related to horsemanship. They could have occurred just as easily at home. Very sad of course!

I can’t remember which horse it was… PowerPlay? but Eric/Torrey Pines became 50% owners by whatever the deadline was so that Eric/PowerPlay could qualify for the Olympics under Cdn ownership.
I know Torrey Pines also bought Triple X…

[QUOTE=FalseImpression;7739977]
I can’t remember which horse it was… PowerPlay? but Eric/Torrey Pines became 50% owners by whatever the deadline was so that Eric/PowerPlay could qualify for the Olympics under Cdn ownership.
I know Torrey Pines also bought Triple X…[/QUOTE]

Part of Triple X it sounds like…Eric definitely knows the rules though and Artisian Farms definitely has Olympic Medal dreams so I’m sure that Torrey Pines will own enough of a % for all the horses Eric and Tiff want to go to Rio

http://www.noellefloyd.com/artisan-farms-acquires-tripple-x-iii-for-canadas-tiffany-foster/

I hadn’t even though about Ben Maher and Cella though, or even Conor Swail and Landsdowne who probably would have been named to the Irish team if Swail hadn’t been out injured for so long.

ETA I’m pretty sure some combination of Artisian/Torrey Pines owns Showgirl for Yann as well…So they pretty much own our entire Canadian team.