Unlimited access >

Bertram Allen Disqualification at Olympia

[QUOTE=Equibrit;8454058]
I don’t think it is acceptable to NEED a spur. More a failure of training.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so I’m just going to say thats ridiculous and goes a long way to explaining your previous comment. Let me know when you win a GP. When you get to that point, I promise I’ll give your opinion the same weight as Mr. Bertram Allen.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;8454058]
I don’t think it is acceptable to NEED a spur. More a failure of training.[/QUOTE]

I keep trying to come up with something erudite to say to this, but I think “lol” pretty much covers it.

Well, no- that is rude. So, equibrit: given that probably 99% of the GP riders wear spurs (which is also something GM recommends, along with a whip), where do you think the vast majority of the world’s best riders need to improve? If one goes back several decades into pictures of show jumping legends, one sees spurs. So, what would you have told/tell Bill Steinkraus, McLain Ward, Beezie, Ludger Beerbaum, Hap Hansen, Penelope Leprevost, Marcus Ehning, etc. etc. etc. to do differently?

Failure of training? “Not acceptable to need spurs”? In International level show jumping? You have got to be kiddingThat is such an amazingly bold statement to make that is full of ignorance. These are the best trained jumpers in the world. How can it be a failure of training when he beat them by almost 2 full seconds? Oh, but he left a small abrasion on his horse. Failure. ugh.

You are showing your incredible lack of knowledge of show jumping, particularly at this level. Spurs are worn by everyone. And these riders know how to use them.

I think it is a testament to how badly this was handled when nearly every other competitor comes out and says so. These people would not back him if they thought he did something wrong. And frankly, I believe, BA would be the first to say, yes I left a bloody spur mark on my horse. I’m sorry, take the win away. He is a class act and deserves better than this.

<leaves soapbox, muttering to self>

How much time passed between the check and the awards announcement ?
Maybe 25 minutes ? (just guessing). Considering the next horse is in the ring during BA’s post-round check, that would leave 12 horses remaining to jump off…and at less than 2 minutes per jump off…
when the steward has found blood and needs to confirm and confer with the ground jury, and if BA handed the horse to a groom and walked off after the check (as riders most often do) it’s conceivable that word got to the announcer before BA was personally notified.

Just speculating, of course ! :slight_smile:

Well than you can argue that they could say stop and keep everybody from announcing BA as the winner.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;8454058]

… …