Unlimited access >

Best Anti-Dog defense item for hacking?

I’ve considered carrying pepper spray, but the possibility of spraying my horse in the face during a fracas seems like a real problem. I’m not going to pack a gun.
Opinions?

1 Like

Very interested in this thread. Had a big Alaskan Malamute follow my horse and my riding buddy for about a mile last week. Didn’t know if it was better to face the aggressive loose barking jumping dog or turn away from him. It was very nerve wracking. He eventually gave up. But followed us nearly home

3 Likes

I think sound would be your best passive defense (provided you desensitize your horse). I am thinking something high pitched or a gunshot sound… not sure of actual products that would work best but an idea to consider.

Squirt gun with lemon juice?

3 Likes

I find if it’s one dog the best thing is to turn your horse and chase the dog - horses will catch on pretty quick that they are a lot bigger than a dog. If it’s a pack of dogs I don’t think there is anything you can do but hang on and pray. I wouldn’t use pepper spray too risky that you or the horse end up wearing it.

5 Likes

You know I was going to say Wasp spray. they usually have a little straw to help with the aim of the spray. And a lot of them will shoot for 15-30 feet. But I just looked it up and apparently it takes a while for the effects to start. So I guess that’s out.

What about citronella spay? It’s not as strong as pepper spray, but it’s probably really safe since we use it on our horses for fly repellent.

I found this, it’s from a jogger who has used both pepper spray and citronella spray. I think this is what I’d suggest.

3 Likes

A horse that kicks. I had one once as a kid, super sweet and quiet and sensible OTTB, “Patrick’s Pal”. A true gentleman in every way, would never kick a human. And he “popped” that dog just right as we were walking down the road, and that dog came charging out, snapping and barking. Barely broke the rhythm of his step. “BOOM”. Never had a problem with the dog again. Problem solved.

10 Likes

My horses are very dog savvy. They will kick at a dog and/or chase one that is becoming a threat or a nuisance. Having said that though, my son competed in trail riding events while growing up and I ended up being his buddy rider (had to have an adult companion ride with a junior if they were going to compete). That meant putting miles on our horses and encountering all sorts of situations. We had a few neighbors who did not contain their dogs that were a bit more problematic (breeding boxer pair was our ‘favorite’). We ended up getting our horses used to us using a super soaker from their back before trying it out on the trail. Chasing these dogs didn’t ever phase the male. Whips became a bit too problematic. Avoiding the dogs really cut out a decent training loop close by; so, we came up with the super soaker. It worked so well the first time that we were able to ride by for years without either of the two dogs threatening us while we watched them go after other passerby’s. We continued to carry one (took turns as to who had it strapped on) for a while but soon no longer felt like it was needed until we eventually had another neighbor dog who needed to be taught a lesson. Again, it worked on the first try. I still have the ‘toy’ to this day but it’s gathering dust thankfully since all of our neighbors are very considerate with their dogs.

10 Likes

I love this idea. Especially if I could put a little bit of ammonia in the water. It might make them think they’re getting splashed with urine.

2 Likes

Plus, an odor or dye might let the dogs’ owner know their roaming & harassing are not appreciated!

7 Likes

I carry a Kimber Pepperblaster in a holster on my calf. It’s non aerosol and delivers at 112 MPH. It comes with two charges per gun. I’ve only had to use it once and it was very accurate and didn’t spook my horse. I bought mine on Amazon.

15 Likes

Gary what kind of noise does it emit when discharged ?

@ThreeWishes, It really doesn’t make much noise at all. The device is spring loaded so you can hear the sound of the spring releasing and then the soft thump of the cartridge hitting the target but that’s it.

2 Likes

How good is your horse with whips? A short whip with a long lash, as is often carried by the MFH with foxhounds is a very effective tool. It does take practice though. However, it is a lot easier to hit a target with a whip than with any sort of projectile. It also tends to make a clear association for the dog: this person and horse can hurt me. Which spray doesn’t always do if they are really locked on.
Second to that would be the Kimber.
Or both.

7 Likes

Just looked at some YouTube videos of this. What a neat gadget. I’ll have to get one, as I encounter dogs semi regularly.

2 Likes

That is super cool! I’m going to add this to my hiking and trail riding weaponry.

1 Like

This looks like a great option, but I have two concerns. It has a narrow range of effect, and you’d have to be able to be an accurate shot in a chaotic situation. Shooting a moving target from a moving horse.

The super soaker May be a good option that addresses this. Especially if filled with something a little “icky”.

1 Like

A dressage whip. BOP!

3 Likes

I found that facing the dog and charging them back instead of running works if the dog doesn’t seem like they will bite just chase otherwise a solid crop or whip across the face (Nose or eyes) works

3 Likes