Unlimited access >

Best Area to Ride and Keep Horses

I am two years away from my graduation and ever the planner, I want to know where to live! Horses obviously won’t rule this decision, but as a significant part of my life they do play a large role. So I am asking COTH, which area in North America (probably the U.S. and Canada specifically) is the least expensive, most enriching (in terms of showing and things to do with your horse) place to live and keep horses? I posted this in the H/J thread because that is the discipline I plan to continue riding within, but I am interested to hear everyone’s perspectives. All insights welcome!

It would probably help if we knew what kind of career your in school for… if your going in for marine engineer - then likely a land locked state or province would be unsuitable despite how much horse opportunity there is. Do you have a budget of what you consider spending per month on accomodations for yourself and for your horse.

The best areas are those where you can earn enough income to keep a horse and show often. In fact areas with an active show scene tend to be those that provide higher salaries that allow more discretionary income. Not going to be the cheapest places to keep horses, it’s all supply and demand.

The cheapest places are cheap because there is not as much demand, lower salaries, not as much discretionary income and there normally is not much show activity close by.

Start by figuring out where you are most likely to land a job that pays enough to support yourself and a horse.

Interesting! My future career is not area dependent, may even be able to work from home if I am lucky. Assuming I will make a comfortable salary based on my entrance into a very successful and growing industry, what areas do you recommend? Because of this flexibility, I began this thread as a discussion about areas that may not be “obvious”, so to speak. To elaborate, I know that Virginia, north Florida, New York, etc. are great places to own horses, but I am interested in what else is out there! Thanks guys for your input!

Aiken, Lexington ky, southern pines

I live in a very horsey area of Georgia called Alpharetta. There are shows (A-Local) right down the street at Wills Park. You can also go to the Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers where the '96 Atlanta Olympics were held. Alpharetta has some decent trainers and barns. If I could live anywhere I think it would be Lexington to be close to the Horsepark where they have major shows like Pony Finals.

I might be a little biased, but I think Virginia is great for having horses. There are plenty of A shows at Culpeper and the Lexington Horse Center (in Lexington, Va not Lexington, KY!) and so many incredible trainers and riders all over the state. Warrenton and Middleburg are especially my favorites!

Lexington KY. Alpharetta GA is nice, but super expensive. I’m from that area. There is also air pollution and steamy summer weather.

The Kentucky horse park is - WEG, National horse show, pony finals, Rolex…

There are also plenty of local schooling shows.

The cost of living is relatively low, and the many boarding options keep rates reasonable.

Caledon, ON!

Westchester County, New York, New Jersey, and western Connecticut. All disciplines involving horses are represented, all different levels of affordability, and horse shows abound.

Tryon, NC, area. Horsey since the 1920s, two long-time show venues (FENCE and Harmon Field) plus brand new Tryon Intl Equestrian Center (owned by many of the Wellington partners). 2 Foxhunts; the longest and largest Hunter Pace series in the country (18 events from Sept-June); three dedicated (horses only) trail systems totaling more than 200 miles; 50+ trainers in all disciplines; 26 farriers practicing in county; 6 independent mobile equine vets plus Tryon Equine Surgical Hospital (also a full-service and mobile practice); 24 boarding barns in immediate area.

Since you’re looking around anyway you ought to come visit the area while a show series is on at TIEC this fall or next spring.

In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, 30 minutes from Spartanburg/Greenville, SC; 45 min from Asheville, NC; 90 min from Charlotte; within 2 hours of Camden and Aiken, SC; 3 hours from Atlanta.

Another vote for Lexington, Ky. Looking on Craigslist you can find farms (a bit of a drive from Lexington of course, but if you can work from home NP) very inexpensively.

Look East/North east of Lexington - Like the Mount Sterling area. I found a beautiful place (sent to a couple of friens) for around $200K - with log cabin, 2 barns, fenced, near a lake, lots of wildlife, etc…

As a new college grad myself, I am gonna have to chime in and be the Debbie downer on this one. Never assume anything when it comes to this job market - and for sure, don’t even count on having a “comfortable salary”.

What is your industry? That will, in fact, play a large role where you need to live. I may be just an accountant, but I specialize in Oil and Gas, therefore Texas is where it’s at. But, places in Oklahoma and the Dakotas are also high in O&G demand. While there are active shales in central and NE US (KY and PA), most O&G companies locate their admin offices in Texas.

With that being said, Texas has one of the best job markets in the US - while, in certain cities, maintaining extremely reasonable COL. In the DFW area specifically there are some great barns in the area and great local circuits. Fort Worth is home to many large breed shows, also rated shows are within reasonable distances. You are also a straight shot down I45 from Houston where there are even more great shows (Pin Oak).

[QUOTE=Valentina_32926;7776927]
Another vote for Lexington, Ky. Looking on Craigslist you can find farms (a bit of a drive from Lexington of course, but if you can work from home NP) very inexpensively.

Look East/North east of Lexington - Like the Mount Sterling area. I found a beautiful place (sent to a couple of friens) for around $200K - with log cabin, 2 barns, fenced, near a lake, lots of wildlife, etc…[/QUOTE]

Don’t want to be Debbie Downer either but, did you look at a map on that one? Bet it’s cheap. There is a super Wal Mart but it’s otherwise a small town in the mountains of Eastern Ky and that log cabin on a lake with wildlife is going to be pretty rural. Which is OK if you like that sort of thing and don’t mind the challenges of real rural living but not if you are picturing the gracious breeding farms around Lexington.

Not sure about Mt Sterling but much of Eastern Ky is known for spotty or non existent utilities, roads once off the interstate and social services. Not many (or any) close by horse shows and probably scarce on quality farriers and h/j trainers or even boarding barns.

Pretty pictures though. Lake Cumberland is pretty too, should be stuff for sale there too, maybe a bit more expensive, same location issues that can lose their charm pretty quick.

I also concur with Got My Pony. I worked in Tryon and the location is gorgeous!! The trainer I worked for is my idol and with the new Tryon Equestrian Center there should be some really big things happening there shortly. It’s also relatively close to Aiken. I wouldn’t want to live in Aiken after hearing about all the crime there.

Ahh, what great answers! You guys have given me a lot of thinking to do. I can attest to the beauty of the Tryon area, I loved it when I visited. Clearly I need to go on some more vacations in the Southeastern United States. Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

As a new college grad myself, I am gonna have to chime in and be the Debbie downer on this one. Never assume anything when it comes to this job market - and for sure, don’t even count on having a “comfortable salary”.

By all means, I don’t object to a healthy injection of realism! That said, it’s not like I am putting a down payment on a house anywhere, just curious about the various horse communities in North America (especially those that don’t usually get the hype). I would also never actually expect to receive a comfortable salary, but for the sake of discussion I introduced that parameter. Texas I do hear is great for all things horse involved though!

Keep it coming! I would love to hear more about Caledon, ON! I haven’t heard much about that one :slight_smile:

I’ve traveled up and down the east coast, and never not found horses when I looked. The Upper Connecticut River Valley (Hanover, NH and surrounds) can be gorgeous, though cold in the winter, and more eventing/endurance/driving than h/j (but h/j and dressage are there, too). I’m now in San Diego (not cold! no snow!), and there’s every kind of riding here, though h/j is more expensive.

I wouldn’t worry over much about finding horses, wherever you may go. Other factors (landscape, rural vs urban, access to “culture”, etc) may wind up being more important to your overall quality of life in the long term.

Good luck - it’s an exciting time!

If you end up looking Westchester County NY, Western CT area, you’d better be making some serious $$. Tons of H/J and eventing in the area, but cheap board starts at $1200/month. I have yet to find anything actually affordable for a single working person in that area. I am further east in CT where there are some more affordable areas.

Is it easy to become a Canadian citizen? Asking as the OP isd asking about Canada, too. I didn’t think it was that easy to do.