Unlimited access >

Best Body Clippers

I’m looking for a set of body clippers that won’t cut too close to the skin. There’s so many out there with different blade sizes and speeds. I have 2 Cushing horses that need to be clipped.
What are your favorites and what size blade should I use?

Lister star. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/lister-shearing-star-clippers

I have the lister stars as well and they’re a real work horse. Get medium blades. Mine came with a fine blade and it’s too short.

Since you have Cushings horses, I’m thirding the Lister Stars. They are made for shearing sheep. After that, a Cushings coat- even on a native pony breed- is short work. Pun intended.

Do get the medium blade and take note that this machine tends to run warm- get two blades and rotate them out (in summer, I actually sit my resting blades on an ice pack to help cool them.) I find that it’s the motor that runs warm and I think it’s because their venting isn’t incredibly effective against horse hair. Be sure to brush that out frequently.

With my Stars and two medium blades, I can do a full body clip on my Irish Yak in under an hour if I don’t care what he looks like, and an hour and a half if I do.

Lister Stars, lightweight and powerful!

I want say that I bought and used my Lister Stars today, and I am a believer! We were clipping my Cushingoid stallion, and he had enough hair for a couple of horses. I like to bathe a horse before I clip them, but he’s so hairy I figured it would take him a week to dry out. So, no bath. The clippers worked a treat. They are amazingly powerful and easy to handle and while I would not clip a face with them I did do his jaw. I tried something new today that I should’ve thought about maybe 30 years ago possibly more. I got a bag of ice, and when the blades heated up I set the blades, and the blades only, on the bag of ice. Cooled them right out, and we were able to get back to clipping. So I recommend them highly and I have owned just about every other kind of clippers for doing body clipping that are made.

1 Like