Unlimited access >

Best cat brush

I have a medium hair cat with a thick undercoat. I have a furminator but it really doesn’t pull hair except when she is shedding.

Any brush recommendations? She is getting terrible hairballs but when I brush her I’m not getting any loose hair.

I really like a flea comb with long & short tines. Like…hmmm…this:

The different lengths of the teeth help to really get into the coat, much better than anything else I’ve tried. Highly recommend!

2 Likes

I have two brushes I like to use in combination for my longer haired cats. One is a brush like this with rounded ends that they tolerate really well:

And another is a jelly type brush. They didn’t like this one when it was fresh out of the box though–it think the rubber was maybe slightly too grippy? But they adore it now.

2 Likes

Just a basic metal comb is the best tool I can find. Too fine can be difficult with fluffy cat hair. I like this kind so you can get through with wider tines and can switch to fine tines if you want.

1 Like

Hands on gloves

1 Like

I actually have a pair I was about to pack away. I’m going to try them tonight.

Flea combs are AWESOME. A bonus is they are also awesome at getting out burrs and all kinds of pokey things, as they really separate the hair from the pokey thing.

We also just usually use what I call a barber’s comb - basic cheap plastic comb that has wider spaces on half, thinner spaces on half. That lets you use either end depending on how thick the coat is.

1 Like

Thank you everyone looks like the comb is preferred method! I do have a flea comb too so I’ll test that tonight with the hands on mitts

I have a plastic brush similar to the ez groom that worked great for years but it’s just not getting through the cost anymore so I wonder if the nubs have worn down.

I tried several of the flea combs I have and while they slide through her fur it really didn’t seem to loosen the thick undercoat.

The hand on gloves though…

That was from 5 minutes

I have this experience if the comb has teeth that are all the same length. The short/long teeth combs work MUCH better.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll check the pet store this weekend to see if I can find a multi-length version

I think this must be the comb I have. I could have sworn the packaging said “flea comb” but I must be wrong. I like this sucker so much, I bought a second for the house. It did such a good job on the (long haired, thick coated!) barn cat. I pull massive amounts of hair off him in the spring! The house kitties also need grooming, but the barn cat has truly prodigious amounts of fur :joy:

1 Like

Thank you for the link! I just ordered it.

Figured I would update! While the flea comb didn’t seem to do anything this comb did manage to bring up her undercoat and help strip it out! It’s a bit tricker to use then the grooming gloves as I have to get the angle right to not make her uncomfortable and pull up the undercoat, but I got a good chunk of hair off. Last brushing I got lump of hair at least the size of a golf ball!

Thank you!

1 Like

Awesome, so glad to hear it’s working for you! Yay!!

1 Like

This is the type of comb I used on my long-haired cats:

Rotating Comfort Comb

The 360 degree spinning teeth kept the comb from pulling too much, and the cats tolerated it by far the best of any of the grooming tools I had.

1 Like