Unlimited access >

Best complete Vit/Min Supplement?

Do any of you feed a Vit/Min supplement as the only additive to hay?

I am currently feeding MVPs Mega-Cell along with free choice hay to a few of my air fern horses. Most of my horses are on Tributes Essential K, but for the air ferns, even the Essential K has too many calories.

Thoughts on MVP Mega-Cell? Is this a sufficient vit/min supplement, or are they lacking something? What supplement do you feed? Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I do feed Coco-soya oil to a few of my horses and could start feeding it to all of the ones that are on the MVP

I have 10 horses and one donkey that I am feeding, so price is a factorā€¦

Edit to add: I use different hay suppliers all the time(looking for best quality and availability) so testing hay is not doable. Pasture grass is poor to minimal (stupid weeds). Also, I live in northern MI so soil is deficient in selenium

ā€œSufficientā€ can only be defined by your hay/grass.

If your hay is low in protein and lysine, no v/m in 1-2oz will make up that difference. If your soil is high in iron, it means forage is low in copper and zinc, and most v/ms canā€™t make up that difference. Same for selenium - depends on your forage content.

hay is by default very low in Vit E, and no v/m supplement has whatā€™s usually recommended to supplement, which is in the 500-2000IU/day range, depending on the horse and whether thereā€™s any alfalfa (higher E content) being fed.

1 Like

One of my geldings is a complete airfern too, and canā€™t handle the calories in a RB. For a couple years now Iā€™ve had him on Horsetechā€™s High Point Grass vit/min supp. I only give him half the recommended dosage since heā€™s currently not in work. He always looks fabulous, with nothing indicating any kind of diet insufficiency. (I think I can hear JB quietly chiding me ;)) Since he spends a lot of time in a drylot or wearing a grazing muzzle, I also supplement with their Selen AT. Horsetech is not the cheapest company to buy from, but they use premium, human-grade ingredients. And shipping is always free, no matter what. (and you always get a nice snack size of Famous Amos cookies with your order. bonus!!!) :slight_smile:

http://horsetech.com/equine-supplements/daily-vitamins-minerals/high-point-grass

I have looked into high point grass vit/min supplement before, and it looks wonderful! However, with the number of horse that I am feeding, I think it is out of my budget :frowning:

When comparing the two supplementsā€¦it seems that the levels/amount on the ingredients are higher in one or the other (seems to go back and forth between the 2 as to which supplement has more), but not consistently.

I also use High Point Grass. Half the amount is sometimes all you need :wink: I do use the full amount for those who will eat it, which is 3 of the 4. #4 wonā€™t even touch his bowl if more than than half is in there. I tried inching up on him but he wouldnā€™t have any of it :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=jrscomet;8612403]
I have looked into high point grass vit/min supplement before, and it looks wonderful! However, with the number of horse that I am feeding, I think it is out of my budget :([/QUOTE]

Can tell you from experience the high point grass pellet or meal horses hate wonā€™t eat it. The smell of the stuff is very off putting,even with my paint gelding eats anything horse.

Progressive ProAdd iā€™am currently feeding to all 3 of mine,they will eat itā€¦just have to add oats to the mix. With oats mixed in they clean it upā€¦with HPG that wasnā€™t the caseā€¦they would of rather starved then ate HPG.

Thereā€™s another RB type one thatā€™s 38$ for 50lbs low feed rates,and canā€™t recall what itā€™s called. Iā€™ll see if i can find it and add link here. I had got samples and my horses liked it.

Itā€™s Kauffmans horse supplement itā€™s 31$ for a 50lb bag.

Hereā€™s the link to that supplement its 31$ ka-hi.com/horse-supplement.html

I feed Triple Crown Lite, which is $0.45 per pound. The horses get 2 lbs a day, and the pony gets 1 lb per day. It has all the good stuff in it - https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/products/feeds/equine-supplement-lite-formula-equinesupplement/.

i personally feed Dynamite or Dynamite TNT (the TNT has more ā€œstuffā€ in it - for joints, digestion, etc.). works great for both air ferns and hard keepers, at least in my experience. good luck! :slight_smile:

I feed Gro N Win. My farrier has been much happier with his hoof quality. I had his blood tested this winter since he was getting recurring scratches and rain rot under his blankets. I was thinking he might be low in selenium/zinc/copper/E something. Everything except A came back great and A was only slightly low. Hay testing is not an option for me either. He loves the taste.

I was a devout Gro N Win user for years, but with recent changes to the formulation and difficulty purchasing it in my area, I finally gave it up.

I switched to High Point Grass. Initially, I also had sticker shock at the price, but when you factor in the free shipping, itā€™s one of the most affordable quality vitamin/mineral supplements out there. So far, it seems to be working well for my horses. I will agree that the palatability is low. My hard keeper who gets a ton of food doesnā€™t seem to mind it, but the easy keepers eat it begrudgingly. Mixing the supplement with a few soaked hay cubes and about a 1/2 cup of oats has been working to get them to eat it.

My friend is a research-aholic when it comes to Vit/Min supps. She feeds MVP Mega-Cell to her easy keeper Arabs and Morgans. She feeds good quality grass hay, a C. of beet pulp, 1 C of oats per horse per day. Her horses are fit and shiny!

I feed High Point Grass to my idle broodmares mixed with alf/tim pellets. I have one mare who hates it, but the other 3 eat it with no problem. I also add Kaufmannā€™s Integri Hoof to the mix because we are in a high iron area.

I use MVP Mega cell and love it. So affordable and has a ton of great ingredients. I use Feedxl before I start adding anything to my horses diet. Compared to all of the multi vitamins out there Mega Cell has waaaaay more. And you feed so little. Its great!

ꈑäø€ē›“åœØä½æē”ØFeedmark Benivit几幓äŗ†ļ¼Œęˆ‘ēš„äø¤äøŖēœ‹čµ·ę„å¾ˆå„½ć€‚ęˆ‘åˆšåˆšē‚¹äŗ†ęˆ‘ēš„冬天Benivitļ¼ŒēŽ°åœØę˜ÆBOGOF怂

Go pick lots of nettles, cow parsley, and wild mint etcc., leave them to dry out for a few days in a warm place and then chop them up and put them in plastic zip bags. Nettles are really good for horses and so is cow parsley and they can get all of what they need from them and its cheap (free)!! Just need abit of time. Got reccommended feeding wild herbs by a friend whos spent years reasearching this sort of stuff! Seaweed is another good one but I dont have a clue how youā€™d go about sorting that out!

LOL really? That should be cost effective to go pick nettles for 10 horses every day. Time = money.

1 Like

I use an old fashioned but wonderful vitamin/mineral supplement that my horse thinks is a treat. He also shines with health and has good feet.

Manna ProĀ® Sho-GloĀ® is a comprehensive Vitamin and Mineral fortifier that has been a standard among horse owners for generations.

Features:

• Enhances the nutritional value of any feed
  • Yeast culture for optimal digestion
  • Chelated minerals for greater mineral utilization
  • Contains important antioxidants, including vitamins E and C, to maintain a healthy immune system
  • A source of 10 minerals and 14 vitamins
[B]Item Specifications:[/B]

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein Minā€¦12.00%
Crude Fat Minā€¦2.00%
Crude Fiber Maxā€¦16.00%
Calcium Minā€¦4.00%
Calcium Maxā€¦5.00%
Phosphorus Minā€¦2.00%
Sodium Minā€¦0.01%
Sodium Maxā€¦0.50%
Copper Minā€¦880ppm