Unlimited access >

Best Custom Boots?

My birthday is coming up and I want to buy myself a pair of custom boots. I have a very short calf so its hard to find and high-end boots that fit me. I’ve been wanting customs for a long time anyway, and I decided I should treat myself. What are your suggestions? Price doesn’t really matter, I’ll spend what I spend

Personally I had a terrible experience with Der Dau. My advice, pay with credit card and order through someone you can hold accountable for the fit! I ordered through Der Dau directly at a big show and what they sent me was not even close to fitting and the rep quit and the company didn’t want to remake the boots even after they damaged them trying to make them fit. It was a 6 month nightmare that sucked all the joy out of treating myself to beautiful custom boots. Thanks to one customer service rep they did eventually make it right, but it was an ordeal. If I fit in the nice off the rack options that are out there now, I would absolutely do that next time. But my measurem were slightly off for off the rack.

Ditto AmmyHunter’s advice on Der Dau. One of my really good friends went through hell and back with them for months over her custom boots. I have never seen a company be as awful and rude to a customer as they were to her. It got down to her looking into what would be involved if she took them to court. If you go with them, use American Express so you are prepared to fight the charges if they send you something useless.

Similar experience but omit Der Dau, insert Vogel, minus the rep. I was measured AT Vogel’s showroom in Brooklyn when I went with my bestie a couple of years ago. My bestie’s experience was the same as mine only he ultimately insisted on a refund and ended up getting La Mundial’s, which were perfect on the first shot. My Vogels weren’t perfect until 3 redos. Though I DO love them now (they are beautiful and fit well), it was a pain in the ass and took 7 months start to finish.

My Der Dau experience was good at first. Short delivery time, fit well on first try.

My problem is durability. Mine are almost six years old. I sent them in for refurbishing about two years ago to fix some excessive wear, resole, etc. Came back quickly and looked smashing again. But I’ve already worn serious holes in the new panels they put in to fix the old holes.

So all in, I’m about $2,500 into these boots and am looking at another $300 to refurbish AGAIN.

There was very recently another thread with a lot of information.

How many days a week and how many horses a day do you ride? I find that makes a huge difference in how long boots last. Naturally, my boots as an ammie with only one horse last way longer than those boots of the pros in my barn who ride multiple horses a day.

One horse, riding almost every day for four years doesn’t seem like a short durability problem though.

Four or five days a week, one or two horses a day. Typically not worn from Nov-Apr because I can’t fit warm socks in them. So really, they don’t work THAT hard. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having grown more intolerant of cold as I get older, the need for thick socks in order to ride appeals to me none!!! lol

I feel for those of you in the cold weather states!

1 Like

I recently did a lot of research into custom boot brands and ended up going with F.lli Fabbri because they seemed to check all the boxes for customization (I want more leather options than just black brown red and blue lol) longevity (I’ve heard stories of 12 years) and customer service (specifically the Rep in BC has been amazing to everyone I’ve talked to)

2 Likes

I just got my custom Tucci boots and I loooveeeee them. They have a really nice soft leather that broke in within a couple of rides but it’s not Parlenti soft that looks like it will wear out within a couple of years. They have all sorts of customizations available too. I think you can request a booklet of options available on their website.

1 Like

I just went through the same process. I love my La Mundials but have some zipper issues. I decided to explore my options and thought I would go with Fabbri or Tucci (toe in the Tucci looks so good) but after several friends told me how much they love their Fascianis, I met with the rep and ended up going that route. I’m pretty conservative and you can be as simple or blinged out as you want. They have so many options with a great foot tread and foot support. They make a lovely rain boot too. I’m still a few weeks out from receiving mine though.

I have off-the-rack Tuccis that fit like custom. They’re my winter/rain/mud boots to save my Der Dau that wear and tear. Very comfy and have held up really well so far.

1 Like

I heard great things about the Tucci Time collection too! Unforntualty I had to go custom because my calves are just insane but if you have fairly normal sized calves OP then you could probably get a pair of these and save some $$$. Check the Hadfields website, they have them on thier online shop and give Cindy a call if you have questions. She’s the one that measured me for my customs and she is wonderful!

1 Like

I am a broken record about recommending Celeris UK for customs. I have two pair and love them both. GREAT customer service (I, too, have a Der Dau horror story) and they can do anything you want. Both of my pairs together cost less than my Der Dau dress boots.

Don’t be scared by their wild boots on the instagram account–they made me two very traditional pairs that pass the dress code for fox hunting. :slight_smile: And, hey, if you WANT wild, they can certainly do that too!!

I’m saving up for a third pair. Don’t tell my husband.

2 Likes

Can you help me find this thread? I’m back to riding after a 10-year break, and my 20-year-old Der Daus don’t fit at all. THanks!