Unlimited access >

Best Farm Boots?

Cofra. They are UGLY and expen$ive. However, they are built to stand up to farm work. Mine endured a couple of hard years in a dairy barn and now live in my car for cold, mud, etc. They scrub up like new. More comfortable than Dunlops imo. 5 billion x more comfortable than regular rubber boots. Reasonably light weight.

Downside - the aggressive treads will pick stuff up so they need to be banged off if you walk in something gross and then want to walk down a freshly swept aisle. The treads let go of the gross stuff pretty well with a couple of heel bangs. But if you forget you will be sweeping up a few mud or poo or bedding “kibbles” where you took your first few steps.

@ohjabarn

I didn’t.

I should have updated my review. My first pair started leaking very soon after I got them. I exchanged for a new pair, but the second pair came with liners that I couldn’t remove. (I like to replace with more substantial liners.) So I returned them. Too bad because I liked the first pair despite my “cons.”

For the cold weather, I got a pair of DryShod Artics in the mid-calf length. LOVE THEM. Wish I had gotten knee length but I got them at Equine Affaire and that’s all they had. With warmer weather headed our way I will likely get a summer weight pair.

1 Like

Another vote for Dry Shod . . . bought them at the local farm store after my last Muck boots kicked the bucket (Mucks only last a year for me) and the price was quite a bit less. These Dry Shod boots have
performed admirably - are reasonably warm down to the teens. . . and they don’t look any the worse for wear after their first winter. So we’ll see how they are after next winter. . . .

1 Like

If anyone is looking for wellies that last, my Le Chameau wellies are going strong after 5 years. I paid $180 for them after my Hunters died a quick death, but they are lasting amazingly so worth the $. I put sheepskin insoles inside and they are lovely, but I do live in CA so probably not ideal for ice/snow.

ETA they make a neoprene lined model now called Vierzonord

Thanks for the tip!

How do they run in terms of width? I have a sligthly wide foot and like a roomy toe box.

I would say average

Zips break and they split where your foot bends.

The problems with boots.

Rubber/latex - ALWAYS splits.
Zippers - ALWAYS break.
Leather uppers/rubber sole - sole falls off.
I have tried them all, even horrendously expensive limited edition Hunter Balmorals, and none of them are fit for purpose. Look lovely though.
Ended up going old school. Leather uppers, laces, and sewn on indestructible soles

Mine have no zips (only one of their models has a zip) and they are going on 5 years w no splits! They do have a 2 yr warranty too.

I’m a barn manager and since switching to Columbia hiking boots at home, my legs and feet have never been happier. Made for walking on terrain and waterproof. Get the ones that feel like slippers to you when you put them on. For me, it was these. I wear them with wool socks when it’s cold.

I wear Sperry duck boots for competition grooming. One pair lasted me 5 years. Those are more summer boots though.