Unlimited access >

Best Farm Boots?

I’m already thinking of winter, and I need new farm boots. I don’t want Bogs. I bought them last year and they lasted about 3 months and then split and started leaking in the snow. While customer service was good, and they refunded me, I’d rather have a brand that will last longer.

My last pair of Mudruckers lasted about 4 years. Are there any other brands that you love?

Holy cow you got 4 years out of Mudrukers?!? I’m lucky if I get a year.

Following because I kill boots. I usually wear Muck Boot brand or high quality knock offs. They will have leaks within the year, though.

1 Like

I wear waterproof Merrell mocs and far prefer that to any “farm” boot.

This is my latest:

And they make them ankle height, too:

They go on sale pretty frequently, I definitely didn’t pay anywhere near those prices. I beat the snot out of my footwear–these hold up great.

I buy a pair of Muck Boots, the Edgewater, every Fall in the holiday sales. Usually $80 or so on sale.

I have horses at home and work from home and I’m in and out of them multiple times a day. This year’s pair is not leaking yet (they will eventually crack where they bend at the ball of my foot) but I have worn through the inside lining at the heel. Maybe next year I’ll add some moleskin and try to delay that problem.

I think it’s touch and go with the Mudruckers and Muck Boots. I’ve had good luck with a pair of Muck Boots and then the 2nd pair crashed and burned pretty quick. I took a gamble on a pair of Mudruckers since I found them in the Dover Bargin Basement section and they held up until this summer before developing a crack. This is after 3 years. Hit or miss I guess…

Since the $$ boots seem to get destroyed so quickly (for $80+ I expect many years of leakproof wear!), may I suggest the cheapo TSC Winter boots.
I wear a Women’s 8, but can fit in Child’s 5 & those run around $20.
If you need the adult boots, those are usually $39.
Both are fleece lined, warm & waterproof.
They last me ~2yrs.

Or get rainboots & wear good Winter socks. The rainboots are $16.
I don’t have as good longevity with the rainboots, for some reason the right boot always develops a leak - generally in the shaft, by my ankle :dizzy_face:
But they’re still good as long as the footbed & lining stay together.
I currently(stubbornly) have 3 pairs of Right Leak rainboots I rotate. If one gets wet inside, I switch to another.
Cheap: that’s me :grimacing:

1 Like

I’ve worn Perfect Storm boots for the past 8-9 years, and I’m on my 3rd pair. They’re warm and actually comfortable for all-day wearing. I really like that they’re easy to slip on with no hands needed.

2 Likes

I’m in the SE U.S. so winters are overburdened with more ice than snow.

I love my Muck Brand shoes. I wear the s-n-o-t out of them. They are on my feet if I’m outside for anything, except being on one of the tractors. My first pair lasted three years and I hope my second pair matches or exceeds that.

I still have the calf high Muck brand boots I bought eight years ago. I wore them a lot early on but they are just too much “equipment” for me to lug around, so they haven’t seen much action since I invested in the Muck shoes:)

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I have had Noble Outfitters. They’ve lasted me about 2 years of almost daily wear but sadly have sprung a leak. I’m hunting for a new pair as we speak. I can’t do short boots, when it rains in the winter here it really rains and ankle length boots would have me under water

1 Like

I have these Muckster Mids and they are on their 4th year. They are terrific! https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/women/products/womens-muckster-ii-mid-rum-raisin-w-herringbone

For non-winter use, I am currently trying the Kamik knee high wellie boots.

Pros:

• They are pretty cheap ($65 on Zappos).
  • They are lightweight.
  • They are vegan and made out of recycled materials.

Cons:

• They are too “unstiff” to get on hands-free.
  • They are much more likely than my old boots to pull my socks off when I take the boots off.

I have had excellent luck with Reed boots. I do have a few odd considerations though. I am quite short and have only 14" from floor to knee crease. I also have very wide short feet and need good arch support to avoid foot problems. My first pair of Reeds gave me two years of daily winter wear and then the shaft split right above the spur rest. I was able to glue a replacement on but decided to buy a new pair and keep the old ones for reserve.

I also have found good boots offered in two online websites. I got a very comfortable pair of work boots (low boots, not insulated) from Orthofeet. They allow 60 days wear with return for refund or replacement so you can really see if what you have works for you. The other website is better for true work boots, mostly in mens style but offers small sizes in all widths.
They are steel-toe-shoes.com. Some brands come in composit which is lighter than steel.

Following. I need new boots too and have run into much the same thing. I like the Muck boots but kill them within a year as I keep my horses at home and wear them every day at least twice a day, and wear them out quickly for the cost. Plus, I find them hot and heavy. So actually prefer a thinner material, but those wear out in nothing flat.

Have bought the TSC calf high boots for like $60 but am lucky to get 6 mos out of them. I fill like my barn boots are loading up the landfill.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of the Dublin River Boot. They are expensive ($160) but will last several years. Being leather, they do require some maintenance. But they are a great boot. They are not 100% waterproof but they take a long time to soak through. I’ve spent an hour standing in a creek in them and came out with just damp feet. Because they’re breathable you can wear them in mild weather or in really cold weather with thick socks.

Lifetime of winter in MT. I’ve had a variety of boots but the ones I’m most happy with are the $12 Big R (Tractor supply variety) or even the walmart variety. Good socks, an insert if necessary, $20 all in and amazingly they last forever. We’ve had a few pairs of Sorel winter boots over the years, the traditional ones, and they do ok. Had some Kamik’s too and they are pretty decent for the price but can be slick on ice depending on the version.

Yep, thanks my friend @Pico_Banana for sharing your thought about Kamik knee-high wellie boots. I just decided to have them from my local Zappos store yesterday but they seem to change the price of that shoes for clearance sales. So, on having such experience I decided to go for a price match for my Kamik knee-high wellie boots. Have you gone through same, I would just like to hear about your experience.

i live in my Muck boots. (Hosier style). I use them from Halloween through Easter. Then i switch to summer shoes. I have to get a new pair every year because they do crack after a season of wear. Worth it to me. 150$ divided by 182 days = 82c/day.

1 Like

Dryshod brand is my choice.

1 Like

The only brand I have had that lasted longer than 6 months is Doc Martens. (work boots)
https://www.drmartens.com/us/en/work-boots