Unlimited access >

Best Flax supp.

My horse is very prone to skin issues, particularly sweet itch (he is a delicate flower) :D. I have heard and read about how great flax seed is for skin issues, and skin/coat health in general. I have been looking into trying to get just plain flax seed, but for the life of me I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells it.

So my question is, where do y’all buy your flax seed? Or, if you don’t buy straight flax seed, what supplement do you recommend, and where can I buy it?
Thanks,
Jamie

Ask your local feed stores.

I grind mine fresh everyday in a coffee grinder. I do see the benefit in my horse’s coat.

If you want some that is already ground, it needs to be stabilized. Horseshine is a terrific product, but $$.

If you have a bulk foods place, they may have the ground FLax Seed. I pay about $1.92 a pound at the local WinCo. Cheaper than any other source.

I finally found a feed store who will special order 50lb bags of whole flax for me, but I had to ask around a lot.

I have also ordered it in bulk from Nuts.com; the price isn’t bad, but the shipping is killer. Luckily they email you a ton of coupons.

Prior to that, I was getting it out of the bulk bin at one of the local grocery stores, although that grocery store stopped carrying it in their bulk bins. Maybe I was to blame?

All of the above were more cost effective (for me) than the flax supplements on the market.

I feed it whole with great results- anywhere between 1/4 to 1 cup per day, depending on the horse.

I liked HorseTech.com when I was feeding it

I am a big fan of the HorseTech products. My horses, however, prefer Triple Crown’s Omega Max.

I feed Whole Flax seed. 1/2 cup AM & PM. I buy 5lbs at a time and put it in the freezer for a week or so prior to feeding to kill any weevils. Cheap and easy!

If you want to go bulk… these guys are great as well
http://shop.honeyville.com/flax-seed-meal-50lb.html

Amazon is a great source for horse feed products–especially with Prime.

TC Omega Max is a nice option, too.

My barn buys:
Great River Organic Milling, Organic Whole Grains Brown Flax Seed, 25-Pound Package

I feed the Legends Omega Plus to get flax in mine. He gets 1/4 lb 2X a day to mix in his ration balancer, MSM, and Cough Free Supplement, I up it a bit in the winter. He will not eat ground flax or Omega Horseshine, but I can add anything to the Legends and he will clean his bucket.

Just fyi don’t soak the Omega Plus, it turns into glue and nasty.

I get a 50 lb. bag in bulk at my local feed store. Feed 1 cup whole a day, works great.

[QUOTE=PiaffeN’Passage;8758695]
I get a 50 lb. bag in bulk at my local feed store. Feed 1 cup whole a day, works great.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I do. :slight_smile:

I know a lot of people that buy it in bulk and then feed it whole. A number of folks at my barn grind it (mostly because there is a trainer whose feeding program includes ground flax :slight_smile: ). I have to bag my food a few days at a time so use TC Omega MAX; I’ve been happy with it, and since I have only one horse the price is not insane. My chestnut TB who is prone to hives and other fun skin situations looks really great this summer!

If cost is not an issue, and depending on your needs, I really like Platinum products. Flax-based, plus a bunch of other goodies.

Just saw this on Amazon, which I had not seen before:

https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Flax-Seeds-Pound-Bag/dp/B0098QDGAI/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469203361&sr=8-9&keywords=whole+flaxseed+pound

That price is not terrible if you have no other options and want whole flax- it comes out to about $1.44/lb including the shipping. I pay $49 for a 50 lb bag at the feed store, which is about $10 higher than other feed stores in the past would charge me.

I get a 50 lb. bag in bulk at my local feed store. Feed 1 cup whole a day, works great.[/QUOTE]

Me tool

Me three!

I buy mine at my local food co-op. It’s $2.49/lb for brown flax seeds, which is fine for me because I’m only feeding one horse 1/2 cup per day. It’s usually something like $20/month. Sometimes it goes on sale for $1.99/lb and then I get 5 or 6 pounds…and always end up explaining to the cashiers that it’s for my horse…which usually gets me an awkward look or comment. 99% of the time, though, I am definitely NOT the weirdest person in there so it doesn’t faze me too much.

[QUOTE=digihorse;8758178]
If you have a bulk foods place, they may have the ground FLax Seed. I pay about $1.92 a pound at the local WinCo. Cheaper than any other source.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Smart and Final has ground flax for $1.49/lb where I live. Any store with bulk bins seems to have it also chia seeds. Way cheaper than any horse product.

I’ve recently switched from Flax to Camelina Oil for similar reasons. A mare who is super pron to bug induced sweet itch.

I’ve seen a huge difference in her itch response since she’s been on the oil much better then Flax.

Her current is 2oz a day and 1 scoop of msm. and she has made it through the summer relatively unscathed. At 2oz a day the gallon lasts 2 months at 1oz during less offensive times of year 4 months.

https://wildgold.com/equine/