Unlimited access >

Best fly spray this year?

Gordon’s Horse and Pony oil based is my go to but when I ran out I tried Flicks an essential oil spray and I was flabbergasted. I think it worked the best.

I’ve used Farnam Bite Free with good results in general (it’s the one in the dark red bottle.) For trail riding, Eco-Vet is the best I have found, especially for deerflies. I will take under advisement the idea to wipe it on rather than spraying it, especially near the head… My mare is not too fond of it.

It’s so odd how different areas have different fly sprays that work best.

1 Like

Ecovet. It doesn’t smell great but it works - it’s pricy, but a little goes a long way. Wiping it on would be a good solution if the horse objects to the smell. You mostly just need to use it on areas that flies are most attracted to - the legs and belly. . . their tails, and a fly mask, do a good job for the rest.

1 Like

Could you tell me if it leaves a visible residue?
The one I’m using now leaves a residue and makes it look like I haven’t bathed them.

Shoofly Leggins are the BEST. My old retiree TB lives outside and hates bugs. He lives in these fly boots and not only do they keep the bugs at bay, but they hold up to the daily wear.

4 Likes

Tri-Tec 14 has never let me down, but I also find the Dumor (Tractor Supply) brand works really well and half the price.

1 Like

My absolute favorite has to be OutSmart, by SmartPak. It’s all natural, but somehow it still works great! It does have a strong scent, however it works the best that I’ve tried so far. I’ve been using it for a few years now and it still seems to be doing the job right. I’m in MA and we get all kinds of bugs, from annoying gnats in the spring to huge horseflies in the summer. 10/10 recommend trying it, it’s worked for all of the bugs!!

2 Likes

It’s so weird to be how some products work great in some places and not in others! I’ve always had success with OutSmart, and not as much with the UltraShield products…

1 Like

I have not noticed a residue.

@wsmoak I am seriously considering buying a Horse Pal trap. It’s hard to put out that much money on a fly trap, but realistically it’s probably cheaper than fly sheets and fly spray, which I am buying in bulk.

I have a horse with bad fly allergies and the best I’ve found is Fly Bye. I didn’t seek it out because it’s natural, just because it works the best. But the fact that it’s not loaded with chemicals is a plus and makes it safe to use on yourself

I’ve had a lot of luck with the victor fly traps and they’re way more affordable than the horse pal trap. I don’t know anyone that’s tried the horse pal trap so if you do let us know if it works!

1 Like

I second EcoVet. I hate the smell. It’s expensive, but their website shows how little you need to use. It’s pretty amazing stuff.

1 Like

I’m in SW PA and have had good luck the last couple of years with a mixture of RepelX and Permethrin… I buy the concentrates form TSC mix them together and mix it stronger.

I have been using the permethrin with my all natural fly spray, making it half natural…LOL. Actually, in this heat, adding neem oil works great. It’s actually hot enough that it is liquid!

1 Like

I will have to try and add the neem oil and report back!

1 Like

Where do you get the neem oil? I see TSC has it but would have to order it.

I think that I bought the last gallon on Amazon, but I’m not positive. I don’t buy anything like that at TSC- too much money! I have morning and afternoon sprayers- the neem turns solid under 70 degrees, and will stop up your sprayer. By the afternoon, I can use it. Or, you could just wipe it on.

1 Like

not a fly spray but we have one horse that is allergic to flies (and only about 30 other things), this year we draped his stall with misquote netting which is keeping nearly 100% of the flies out of his stall which allows us to remove all of his turnout fly sheet stuff

Fans are hung inside the netting which then has an added value of being a filter to remove most of the airborne dust from the air in his stall (bedded in dust free shredded straw)

3 Likes

My guys are all outside!