I haven’t seen a recent discussion on this topic, so thought I would open a new one. I will be moving to a boarding facility in Colorado with shed/runs. The footing is dirt, which is pretty hard when dry but then muddy after it snows or rains. I would like to add footing on top of the dirt. My ideal criteria:
- Has to drain well. Don’t want a lake in my run.
- Good traction. Minimize the chance of slipping
- Has to be safe to eat off of. I don’t want to risk sand colic
- Comfortable to stand/run around/lay on. Don’t want sore feet or hock sores
- Not terribly dusty when it’s very dry out (probably the lowest priority)
I am hopeful that there is an option that meets these reasonably well, though from what I have heard there isn’t a perfect solution. What has worked well for you? Just as importantly, what has definitely NOT worked for you? Thank you!