Unlimited access >

Best Hackamore?

I recently bought a new horse and he really hates the bit (cranks his head to the outside, takes the bit, pulls to the ground, etc. even when he’s on a nice loose rein or if you just drop the reins on his neck). I want to put him in a hackamore, but I’m not sure which one would be best. I rode him in a rope halter and he did really well; he was only a little headstrong in the downward transitions (taking a couple extra steps to come down instead of instantly), but I think the leverage from having shanks would fix that. I need something that has a little bite to it but isn’t super harsh either. I should add that he rides really well off of leg and seat (steering, transitions, everything), but that there are a couple of beginner riders on him that are still learning how to ride through those means, which is why I need something that has a little more “whoa” to it. I was leaning toward a German hack with the rubber nose but wasn’t sure if that’s too harsh/not enough for him. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I assume you have had his mouth checked, teeth floated, any other looked over, if he may have some physical problem that causes him to resist a bit?
Some times a pinching saddle can do that, as when the bit acts in the mouth and the head and neck respond, they can get pinched and that makes a horse throw it’s head around.

Also, are you sure he understand what a bit is?
There are horses out there that were never taught how to respond to bits, here we call that not have a made mouth to a bit.

As for hackamore, it sounds like you are looking for a mechanical hackamore, not a noseband type one?

If so, many barrel racers here start their horses they want to go on a mechanical hackamore on a plain beetle hackamore first:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07574-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

Now the horses are already trained to respond to a rider, but they still have to learn to respond to those hackamores, you don’t just put it on and ride off, but they are some of the milder mechanical hackamores.

Now, if beginner riders are going to be learning to ride, not just go on a simple nose to tail trail ride, any kind of hackamore may not be the best for them, as hackamores demand more skills that beginners may have, horses may just “run thru the hackamore”, ignore it, if not handled properly.

For beginner riders, is best to have a well trained, patient horse that responds well to a snaffle and someone teaching the rider how to handle the reins to guide a horse properly.

It will be hard to teach beginners, if that is what you are doing, with a horse that is not suitable or gear that is not right for the task.

Look at a Little S hackamore.

Happy mouth hackamore!!! I use it for my off the track thoroughbred and I love it! My trainer uses it for his off the track and other horses and he loved it too! It’s a very soft bit but it’s a little something to get their attention, it’s a rubber nose but you can put a fluffy on it! I would recommend getting it at dovers, because if you don’t like it you can return it and get your money back!

[QUOTE=Charlotte2001;8750643]
Happy mouth hackamore!!! I use it for my off the track thoroughbred and I love it! My trainer uses it for his off the track and other horses and he loved it too! It’s a very soft bit but it’s a little something to get their attention, it’s a rubber nose but you can put a fluffy on it! I would recommend getting it at dovers, because if you don’t like it you can return it and get your money back![/QUOTE]

Such a strange contraption, very interesting:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/happy-mth-jnted-hackmre-bit/p/X1-0123/

Seems to be some kind of a plastic mouth gag bit with a nose piece?

Are you sure that would work well in the hands of beginners?

Agree with both of Bluey’s posts. Not a fan of a hackamore in beginner hands.

Have you considered a sidepull? That might be more appropriate.

Do you want to teach your students to neckrein or direct rein?

Google- western sidepull

Google- Tory english jump hackamore

And there is this, the Zilco Flower Hackamore (it is adjustable as to how sever it is)
www.ridingwarehouse.com/Zilco_Flower_Hackamore/descpage-ZFH.html

You can usually attach a bit with bit hangers to either kind of hackamore, but not the Zilco.

Also, be sure you know how/where a hackamore sits on the horse’s head. There is a science to it.

[QUOTE=Bluey;8750712]
Such a strange contraption, very interesting:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/happy-mth-jnted-hackmre-bit/p/X1-0123/

Seems to be some kind of a plastic mouth gag bit with a nose piece?

Are you sure that would work well in the hands of beginners?[/QUOTE]

Well it depends on the horse, once you ride in it and get a feeling for what the horse likes you can tell the rider how to handle it. For example if the horse likes that tight rein feeling or if he likes a little looser rein. I’m only 15 and not the most advanced rider and I use it on my horse and love it! I use the 3 mouth piece kind. http://www.doversaddlery.com/m/Product.aspx?p=X1-0184
( I also forgot to add that this hackamore is more the English type)

For an OTTB mare who hated any kind of bit, we used this type of hackamore: http://www.statelinetack.com/item/western-cp-fleece-lined-hackamore-with-curb-strap/SLT731329/ . I wrapped the curb chain with vet wrap, and she loved the setup. I would be concerned about a beginner and a horse without proven brakes, though. A hackamore would do the job, but it may damage the horse and not help the rider learn good hands. Another option with some “whoa” but safer for beginners would be a bitless bridle like the Dr. Cook’s model. It definitely is NOT for every horse, but some like it a lot, and it can be useful with newer riders.

I have the same questions as Bluey, since you (OP) did not give us much of a background in your OP.

[QUOTE=ebarnhar;8750224] I recently bought a new horse and he really hates the bit (cranks his head to the outside, takes the bit, pulls to the ground, etc. even when he’s on a nice loose rein or if you just drop the reins on his neck).
[/QUOTE]

How recently?
What bit are you currently using?
When were his teeth examined last?
What have you done so far (training-wise) to try to fix the problem?

In my opinion, what you describe is simply poor training. Yes, horses do have their preferences and some only like certain bits and some don’t like bits at all. However, even if a horse does not like bits, they should still tolerate one and respect it.

For example, my horse Red does not like snaffle bits. Just doesn’t like them. He’s much happier in a mild leverage bit OR a hackamore. However, I can ride him in a snaffle and he will listen to one, because he has been well-trained. But I also respect his preferences and ride him in something that he seems to like the best.

It sounds like your horse does not know how to correctly respond to a bit.

[QUOTE=ebarnhar;8750224]
but that there are a couple of beginner riders on him that are still learning how to ride through those means, which is why I need something that has a little more “whoa” to it. [/QUOTE]

How often are beginner riders riding him? How many different beginner riders?

At this stage in the game, this may be your problem. If your horse is needing some re-training to properly accept the bit, putting beginner riders on him is not going to help him. Horses need perfect consistency when learning a new concept, or re-learning what they should have known in the first place.

[QUOTE=ebarnhar;8750224]
I was leaning toward a German hack with the rubber nose but wasn’t sure if that’s too harsh/not enough for him. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are considering something like this?

A mechanical hackamore is probably one of the LAST hackamores I would use in the hands of beginner. Those shanks are long. If you get a beginner who doesn’t know what they are doing, they are going to inflict a lot of leverage (and possible pain) on the horse. IMO. Those long shanks need a steady, consistent hand. Not to mention, you can’t do any direct reining with that type of hackamore because it is not designed for it (most designs, anyway). And it sounds like this horse does need some re-training (and most likely direct reining) to solve the underlying issue.

Truthfully, I would put him back into a plain snaffle and do some re-training first. Later on, if you still would prefer to have him in a hackamore, I"d try something more mild like a Little S Hackamore (short shank with curve).