Unlimited access >

Best helmet for long oval?

As a side note, OneK says that their new MIPS helmet fits the same as the non-MIPS Defender, but I have found the new one to be slightly more oval (so it also feels a little bigger, because it doesn’t press into my forehead anymore). I also find the new one to be a slightly deeper fit. Took a minute to get used to, as I didn’t really need a deeper hat, but it works fine for me.

Well they aren’t cheap, but Antares was the only helmet I’ve had fit my head. I may have the opposite problem - I have a very small, oval shaped head. Their smallest helmet with the child sized padding is what worked for me. Everything else just bobbled back and forth on my head sideways. Charles Owen’s are especially terrible for oval heads in my experience, unless they have changed that recently.

charles owen.

Did you feel the XL helmet would be too large? I am miserably also a 7 3/8 LO and impossible to fit.

Update: for anyone doing research via this thread, the helmet that wound up working was the Charles Owen V8. It may even be TOO oval! That thing would fit a football!

Lynx worked for me. My head is an extreme long +oval. Once I sampled a Uvex with the dial, I knew this was the solution for me, too. The One k long oval did not fit - it was not long enough.

I love Uvex. My CO is fine, I guess, but man I miss my Uvex. I’m thinking I might just splurge and get one to school in.

I will check that out.

Just got a new helmet after my nearly 5 year old Tippary Sportage sacrificed itself for my long oval noggin. The new Sportage and Sportage hybrid are now too round. The One K Defender in medium fits me very well, better than anything else at $250 and under. I wanted to stay well under $200, but it’s still way cheaper than my ER deductible!

I have a CO V8, three in fact, but all getting old. It’s the only hat I’ve ever found to fit my very long narrow 58 head. I am now totally at a loss as Charles Owen have stopped making the V8.
So, I am joining your quest to find an alternative. I am also in the UK, so many of your makes are not available here, but my brother lives in Florida, so I have options. I am keen on trying the One K MIPS, the IRH IR4G XLT, and the Uvex Perfexxion II, that are all mentioned above, but wondered if anyone has any up to date info on others.
Also tried Samshield Shadow Matt with premium liner, but find it a bit shallow. The KEP with an ASTM liner, but just not secure enough.
Any suggestions fellow long oval sufferers?

I have the one k defender in Long oval with a long oval liner. It fits, but it ain’t great. When I tried the one k mips version in long oval it wasn’t better (and didn’t get great ratings) so I passed. BUT I have the uvex exxential mips with the dial as my everyday helmet and it’s fine. Biggest problem is that I’m right at the smallest settings for the size and I want it to be just a tiny bit tighter, however it isn’t loose so really, it’s good. Initially it felt odd because it doesn’t go over the ears and has a fairly low profile so it felt like it was perched on my head a bit like a bike helmet. But again, it doesn’t move, so the fit is correct.

1 Like

Adore my CO Fian. It was the only one that had the deep fit I like. I don’t like perched on head effect, and I’m a LO pin head. The velvet and tan harness are pluses for me as well… call me old fashioned, I guess.

2 Likes

Have you tried other CO models? I just switched back to CO after years in a OneK Long Oval, and tried on quite a few of their models that were a long oval shape–Kylo, AYR8, Halo, and Luna were all long oval. I found the Kylo was actually too deep on my head (it came down over my brows and the harness sat on my neck!), but the AYR8 looks very similar to the V8. The Halo and Lunas fit the same, and ran quite small–I had to go up 2 sizes in those but ended up buying a Luna.

Thank you, yes, neither the Halo, Kylo nor the AYR 8 are long enough for me. All press hard front and back and gape at the sides, so no luck there I’m afraid. It’s such a problem.
I’ve even been to Charles Owen and they apologised but said there is nothing they make that would fit me anymore. So I am reaching out for US brands as you guys seem to have more oval options.

I’ve been riding in CO Wellington Pro for more than a decade and it’s the only helmet I’ve found that fit my long oval head. I’ve yet to find a helmet that is too long oval! The Halo was too round for me.