Unlimited access >

Best helmet for long oval?

I know this was posted before, but I’m having no luck w/ the search function this morning.

Best fitting helmet for my extremely long oval noggin? Dial fit is my most favorite, but neither Uvex nor Tipperary are fitting.

Have you tried the Charles Owen Fian or the One K Defender? After a long search, these were the least mushroom-y that I was able to find.

One K sells long oval versions of all its sizes. I’m a fan of the look and feel (and price). No dial, though.

2 Likes

Long oval here. I have a Tipperary that fits ok, and a Uvex Perfexxion II that I love. I just ordered the Trauma Void Lynx helmet. I’ve not been able to find a MIPS helmet to fit me, so I’m hoping this will. It has a dial and the benefit of MIPS so may be worth a shot?

IRH is the current best fit for my long oval head with a taller crown. Unfortunately, they don’t have anything with MIPS. The OneK MIPS helmet in long oval was a good fit around but too shallow for me. I ordered a Charles Owen MS1 recently, hoping it fits.

I have a very long oval head and my forehead is so high that my husband (fondly) refers to it as my five-head. 😆 The CO Wellington Pro is perfect on me.

I have a really long oval head and high forehead. Even a One K in long oval was too round for me. :uhoh:

My “best fit” helmet so far has been the Charles Owen GR8. The Tipperary Sportage fits me well too. I have a Trauma Void Lynx since I really wanted a MIPS helmet, and it’s…fine. Still a little too round, and I should have sized up, because it’s not super comfy. I just ordered a Tipperary Windsor with MIPS in hopes it’ll be a better fit than the Trauma Void.

2 Likes

One K! I am an XL Long Oval (7 3/8 diameter, longer back to front, than from temple to temple). I got the Large Long Oval, and replaced the liner with an XL; amazing.

I would say the one k or samshield fit long oval well. And the Charles own pro II is also oval friendly.

Another oval head for One K. Love the wide brim one.

Do you have access to a tack shop?

Just for anyone who is looking to compare helmets and can’t try them on, here’s what I found when I had to buy a new helmet a few years ago. I have a very oval, large (~60cm) head.

CO Wellington - deep but not quite oval enough, no gapping but I started to get a headache
CO GR8 - not oval enough
OneK - great oval fit but not quite deep enough. Felt like it perched on my head.
Ovation Deluxe - not oval enough, also perched
Samshield Shadowmatt - fits really well, definitely oval enough and was the only helmet that felt like it covered far enough on the back of my head.

I ended up buying the Samshield. I love it, although my next helmet will be a MIPS skull cap.

Interesting to see the Samshield working for oval heads, it typically did NOT work for long oval (I tried, several times, lol!), but I know in the last couple of years they added a size or version that was supposed to help on the long oval fit, so it must be making a difference. Which I’m glad to hear because I ordered the supposedly-oval-fit-one on helmet awareness day and would love for it to fit, because I love their dark navy! Also trying the IRH IR4G XLT, which was recommended to me by someone else long oval who has one and loves it.

1 Like

Samshield definitely does not fit my oval head. CO is the best fit, but their helmets are definitely not keeping up with lighter and more breathable technology. Kask is less oval than CO but fits me ok for a more breathable helmet—just wish the fit was deeper on me.

Anyone tried a KEP oval fit?

1 Like

Another dissenting vote for One K long oval and Samshield. I have tried both of these helmets on multiple times (I was working in a tack store) and they just aren’t that comfortable to me. I want to put a helmet on a forget it is there, not constantly notice it. Both of those helmets were not ones I could put on a forget about.

My head is oval, but I don’t need an extremely deep helmet. For reference, The TV Lynx and the CO MyPs both were too deep for me. The Lynx was too round (gapped on the sides) and the MyPs fit well other than being too deep (almost covered my eyebrows completely).

CO AYR8, IRH IR4G and IR4G XLT and TV Eq3 fit me well. The EQ3 is what I currently own.

1 Like

This has been my dilemma, I keep trying to find a lighter more breathable alternative, but nothing fits me as well as the AYR8. I’ve ordered several more this weekend to give it another try, because my AYR8 leather look one gets hot. I’m mostly pinning my hopes on the IRH IR4G XLT, so @akhunterrider your post gives me hope it might work!

From another long oval: I just tried a Tipperary Windsor from the Dover IHA sale. Really snazzy looking helmet but it was too round for me. If it had different padding configuration options I probably could’ve made it fit.

The Samshield with premium liner (not the regular shadowmatt liner, that one is too round) remains my best fit so far.

Recently purchased the One K wide brim in long oval, and find it to fit really well. I was in a CO before as well. If anything it could be a bit deeper, but it’s not perching and doesn’t feel like it’s so shallow it’s going to come off my head.

New helmets arrived to try, and the Samshield ShadowMatte in the M (rather than the L) definitely has a much more oval fit than prior models, the old ones never fit me but this one does. The IRH IR4G XLT also has a long oval fit and is extremely comfortable, it is actually slightly more comfortable than the Samshield, so definitely give it a look as well. I haven’t decided yet which one I’m keeping, becuase the harness on the IRH hits me at a slightly different spot on my jaw and I can’t decide if it will bug me!

CO AYR8 and CO MYPS both fit me well. I think the MYPS has a slightly deeper fit, which I like. My OneK is ok (see what I did there?) but not quite oval enough–it puts a bit of pressure on my forehead and gaps a tiny bit on the sides. I don’t plan to replace it once its lifetime is over, but it is secure enough I use it for schooling about every third ride or so. (I’m in FL so I alternate my schooling helmets to give them time to dry and air out.) My other schooling helmet is an Ovation, I forget which model, but dial fit. Not as perfect a fit as the COs, but comfortable and lightweight. Inexpensive enough that I am happy to replace it every 2-3 years, and the dial fit means friends and family can borrow it if needed.

I’m so glad helmet companies are making more options to fit more heads better. When I was young I had an IRH that fit decently, but then had a Troxel that was horrible and would slide all around on my head–no fun to be galloping up to a jump with my helmet falling over my eyes!