Unlimited access >

Best helmets for big ol' melon heads

surely i’m not the only one out there with a massive head… currently riding in a one k defender, and i swear to you, you could see my head from space it looks so big. any helmet suggestions?

make sure you are using a helmet made for your head shape. if you are a long oval in a round helmet, it will be several sizes too large to accommodate the length of your head. I’m 7 3/8 and ride in a aero helmet (https://www.arrohelmets.com). one of the few snell rated, mips helmets. My head doesn’t look big in it.

2 Likes

Fellow big head over here. I wear a 61 so Kask & Ovation are the only hemets that make my head look small

2 Likes

I am a 7 3/8 as well and I am loving my Uvex Mips helmet. uvex exxential II MIPS

It is lightweight, and has great airflow. I don’t typically use it at shows, it suits me to use as a schooling helmet. But would like the same helmet in something more showy if possible.

I tried the Arro on last year at land rover and the lining had a pressure spot right on my forehead. I loved the way it looked on me, but I wanted to try 1 size larger to confirm before I spent that money, but it was the largest they made at the time so I skipped since I wasn’t 100% sure that the lining would stay down away from that pressure point it made.

2 Likes

I bought it without trying and there was a pressure point but it disappeared after wearing it a few times. They also sent it w extra sized inserts- 1 size larger and one smaller.

1 Like

I think you need to visit a store and try a bunch on, if at all possible. I have a huge head (7.5, XL, 61cm sizes) and the Uvexx mentioned up thread did not fit me at all. There are different shapes and preferences at play with helmets, not just size.

I currently wear a Tipperary Devon and a Charles Owen Kylo. I like both and don’t notice a huge difference between the two as far as fit or ventilation. I did not have success with the CO MyPS, even with various liners, or the Tipperary Windsor (I only buy MIPS helmets now). The Trauma Void Lynx fit well and I tried to order one, but after 6+ months of back order I canceled it.

1 Like

I agree completely!!! I am the one upthread loving the Uvexx, but I was able to try on the Tipperary Devon & Charles Owen Kylo & those did not fit me at all! I can make the MyPS work, and use it for showing, but don’t love it.

Try them on! I don’t have any local tack stores & used the 3Day in Kentucky to try everything on. If you can make it to Kentucky this year, I would suggest planning on trying things on there.

1 Like

Pretty sure my head is a triangle shape, wider at the front than the back. CO give me an awful headache. Ovation slide forward constantly. Kask fits pretty well, although the replaceable liners are highway robbery at $65/ each.

1 Like

consolation. big head=lots of brains,

1 Like

As a fellow big head rider, I found the XL Tipperary Sportage to fit very well and not acknowledge how big my head is. One K is too round and hurt my forehead a lot.

2 Likes

bless you

I completely agree with Uvex! I wear a 7 5/8, yes, you read that right! I know dial helmets aren’t ideal, but it’s the only MIPS helmet I’ve found that’s comfortable on my big melon. Good luck!

1 Like

I too have a big head, just recently got a new helmet, and I think I tried almost every model they had at my local Dover. I ended up with the Tipperary Windsor, which is very comfortable for me. It has the adjustable band dial in the back and it’s a MIPS helmet, and I’m loving it.

1 Like

Just bought an Arro for my son. Very impressed with the fit and the technology behind it, very important to us as he has two mechanical heart valves and is on a hefty dose of Coumadin daily.

1 Like