Unlimited access >

Best Immune Boosters/ Supplements??

What is the best Immune Booster/ Supplement? Suggestions and experiences?

I have a 7yr old warmblood gelding. Lives on pasture and good hay, easy keeper but has chronic scratches and gets infections very easily. The smallest of cuts will blow up, hes had multiple infection issues, it was recommended to put him on an immune booster but with any supplement there are so many on the market. I was told something high in vitamin E & C. I was looking at the Tri-Mune but unsure what my best options are. Also considering adding a multi-vitamin supplement also, he doesn’t get grain so thinking that may help also.

Start with a good ration balancer or vitamin mineral supplement in a small beet pulp mash. Right now we can guess he is not getting optimal nutrition. Let that work for several months before you reevaluate and add more things.

There are many brands of ration balancer and vitamin supplements. You will need to look at the labels of what is available in your area.

It could also be useful to test the hay and pasture. It’s possible he needs more protein so get a ration balancer with amino acids. You could also feed flax for the vitamin e and omega 3.

Honestly there is nothing that just works on the immune system. A healthy immune system comes from good overall nutrition long term.

There is also evidence that copper and zinc deficiency contributes to poor skib and feet, and high iron in the grass and water can mean you need more copper and zinc. Are you in a high iron area?

3 Likes

UltraCruz has a Natural Vitamin E (powder or pellet), Vitamin C (powder or pellet), or an Immune Booster supplement (powder). www.scahealth.com

I have samples of the Vitamin E Plus (pellet) available if interested.

A horse that’s blowing up with little cuts doesn’t need something to BOOST his immune system. He’s blowing up because his immune system is going nuts, all hands on deck!, over a little scratch.

Totally agree with Scribbler above that a ration balancer or comprehensive vit/mineral supplement is where you should start. Horses have nutritional needs that are not met by pasture/hay alone. What’s the rest of his diet? Do you test your hay?

3 Likes

Agreed he must not be getting all the nutrients he needs just from my pasture and hay. Hence me considering the multi- vit/ mineral. I was looking at the Mega-cell supplement but open to suggestions.

He currently lives on pasture, in the summer we have lots of grass but in the winter it is all dead/ snow covered, so he also has free choice to an orchard grass round bale 365. It is nice green, appears to be good quality but I have not had it tested. He also has a free choice salt block and a free choice salt/mineral block. (the mineral was bought by mistake so they got both and actually use both). None of his other pasture mates, who also live on hay and grass, are showing any signs of lack of nutrition. On a side note, he was power packed (dewormed) in November, so I’m thinking parasite is less likely.

Powerpac doesn’t hit tapes or bots, so worms could certainly be an issue.

A ration balancer is going to be the easiest way to go. Nearly every major feed manufacturer has one–what brands do you have nearby?

1 Like