Unlimited access >

Best implement to keep pasture smooth?

I’m ready to invest in an implement for my 15 hp compact tractor. My main goal is to smooth out the bumps and dried hoofprints my pasture after mud seasons. I’m not sure if I need a landscape rake, disc harrow, chain harrow or something else. What is the best implement for this that won’t destroy the grass?

Thanks in advance.

The chain harrow would be the classic answer… but it depends on exactly what your soil is made of how well it will work. The chain harrow “smears” manure, breaks the poop balls apart so that they can decompose better, to fertilize your field. In doing so, they will help to fill any divots and rough spots. To avoid those, don’t turn horses out in wet fields (if you can avoid this). Around here, we graze our hayfields in winter, in the snow. But not for long, to avoid damage to the plants or or over grazing. The ground is dry and/or frozen here in winter. Then come spring, when the snow is gone and things have dried out from the melt, we chain harrow the field. This returns nutrients to the field. And then add a bit of commercial fertilizer for maximum growth.

We use a landscape rake, but mostly bc it will collect manure, sticks other stuff into piles that we can easily remove. It scratches the grass a bit, but not enough to bother us (we are in FL). It will smooth out spots that don’t have grass growing on them. We use it to clean up areas that we have reclaimed from the jungle and it gives a nice finish ready for seeding. I’ve not noticed it doing much for divots in the grass. I stomp those by hand, err foot, in the grand polo tradition (less the fancy clothes).

We don’t have a mud season so I’m ignorant as to what post mud season challenges really look like.

Lol. I used to live in Florida, it was awesome not having any mud! Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

That seems like the best solution for me. I already have a chain harrow, I just have to do it before it dries out. Thanks for your reply!

Aw, now, that’s just plain mean. :grinning:

2 Likes

I have giant flying cockroaches if that’s any consolation lol

4 Likes

I’d say none of those, but a roller. Or…all of those, and a roller. I agree it depends on what you’re looking at, and what you’re hoping for.

I’ve long since given up the idea that my pasture will be “smooth.” And it’s very difficult to “rake out” 6" deep divots. That just doesn’t happen. I have clay soil, so when it’s wet…it’s soup. And a horse can really make a 6" divot on occasion. It’s too wet to roll most of the spring, and then it hardens into concrete and a roller doesn’t make much of a dent.

But, a combination of a chain harrow and/or a roller might work. For example…a heavy roller when the ground is still somewhat soft (but not too soft) might flatten some of the divot dirt back into the divot holes, and following with a chain harrow another time might fill them in as well.

In reality - the best solution for my pastures would be to plow/disc/reseed them. And then literally hand fill the deep divots while they are still wet. If only I had more time and more money. :slight_smile:

(I really ought to try though. My pastures aren’t huge, and the really deep divots are relatively rare, but it just takes one hard rain and fresh horses to make some huge craters.)

Right???