Unlimited access >

Best mesh fence

So, I purchased a property this past summer and the fence is this horrible large holed wire mesh. It needs to go, but it wasn’t in the budget at the time so we put up hotwire to keep the horses off it. That worked well until winter hit and the mare used her blanket’s magic powers to tear the hotwire down this morning. I just found her out there stuck in the fence. She had squished it down and managed to thread her leg through not 1, but 4 different squares in the mesh. This mare. She is only 5 and she stood there like a statue and waited for someone to come save her. Not a single mark on her. I can’t even breathe thinking about how lucky I was today. She has given me a new appreciation for Quarter Horses, not just for this but for everything about her.

The fence has to go, budget or no. I would prefer an option that will work until we can get the budget for a nicer fence. It’s not a huge paddock, about 1.75 acres. Currently it has 4 foot tall mesh with two strands of straight wire on top. The straight wire is still in good shape and has been tensioned recently. Wooden posts (they are all solid and secure) alternating with T posts make up the majority of the paddock. Is it possible to just pull out the old mesh and replace it with something like no-climb? I would keep the hot wire on it too. What would be the best quick-ish solution for replacing this fencing before someone slices a tendon.

1 Like

There is a recent thread about tape vs polymer coated wire. Since your posts are good you have a lot of options. I’d look at something like Centaur White Lightening. I have woven V mesh in my smaller paddock. More to keep the dogs out then the horses in. It was pretty spendy. To do over I’d just do all White Lightening.

1.75 acres perimeter fence would be around 1250’ of fence.
Rolls of V-mesh or no climb woven wire come in different wire gauge, heights and lengths.
Here you can get an idea of what they are and how much they cost:

Best that will last forever is V-mesh, we have some 75+ years old still looking fine.
We also have some 5’ no climb with pipe posts and top that seems to be fine also.
We had to buy no climb during covid as V-mesh was hard to find.

Since you don’t need posts, your cost will only be the wire and time to take old one out and put new in.

4 Likes

I would like something that can keep the dogs out (and my next door neighbors escape artist mini stud). I will look into the V mesh. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

Agree. Can’t go wrong with v mesh no climb fence.

I dunno what it’s called, but I’ve used a plastic mesh type fencing material, it’s not “snow fence” which is kinda flimsy, but it’s tougher stuff, comes in orange just like the regular snow fence colour, AND in brown, which is way nicer. It’s quite indestructable. Use zip ties to attach it to the wire fence, and tack it to the posts. It’s quick and easy to put up. Not expensive either… like $100 per 100 foot roll. Got the last stuff at Peavy’s.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be a good solution to keep what you have and only add that plastic fence, even the plastic snow fence would work with the real wire behind to keep horses from getting into the wire fence.
We used some of that in black we bought at Home Depot decades ago for the round pen, zip-tied on the panels and worked great.

Yeeeah, with my girl the snow fence-esc route would end up with me cleaning up a lot of snow fence as she rips it down and prances around the paddock with it. The mare is one of those horses. The ones that won’t leave anything alone. Had to get a drain heater for my tank because she tried to use the floating one as a football. Had to put locking carabiners on all my barn door latches because she learned how to open them. She figured out how to push the sliding door open and free her buddy from stall rest. Then she learned how out how to remove the chain closure on the gate and get that open (another locking carabiner). Finding her black rubber feed tub is a game of hide and seek pretty much every day. She is the smartest, bravest, most infuriating beastie I have ever owned. I adore her and want to strangle her in equal parts.

2 Likes

Your best bet would be fences like we have, 5’ V-mesh and a 3 7/8" pipe top.
They are pricey but indestructible.

Since you already have the fence, adding to it makes more sense.

They have electrified plastic fence for sheep and goats and fowl, but it has to be kept electrified and she seems to be able to defy that too?

We also had intensely smart and busy minded horses, but don’t think any quite like you describe yours.
She is giving the Energizer Bunny good competition.

Maybe make a sort of horse sized fidget board for her to passs the time entertained, similar to this one used in memory care therapy?

2 Likes

we added an aircraft cable between fence and steel posts at butt rubbing height of the miniatures to keep them from distorting the fence. This was installed in the days of cheap used drill stem pipe. Drill stem posts and top rail were used.

There are many V mesh fences around here that are on wooden posts that are from the 1950s, all appear to be in very good condition

1 Like

Some of our V-mesh was new in 1948 I think and on old railroad ties at 8" with a 6" board on top and is still like new, other than some top boards have been replaced here and there.
Having solid posts close, like 8’ apart, keeps critters from rubbing and distorting the fence, but a bump line like another pipe or board or thick stiff cable helps also.
Cattle rubbing on it in the spring shedding is worst on any wire fence.

I have been thinking about toys for her recently. Especially since her buddy is on stall rest/minimal turn out for a while (19 year old pony developed IR and Cushings and had a founder episode) I swear this horse is a thousand pound Belgian Malinois. I can’t ride right now due to recovering from surgery but I am having a friend come over and ride her a few time a week next month. She needs the stimulation.