Unlimited access >

Best place to advertise a stallion

Hi I was wondering where fellow forum members looked when they are searching for a stallion for their mare these days. I have a new stallion that I imported. He is a licensed Barock Pinto (half Dutch and half Friesian) I am trying to determine best magazines, websites to advertise him. He can be bred to Arabians, QH, thoroughbreds, warmbloods, Friesians, Etc as well as other Barock pintos. I would like to reach all these audiences so any advice on magazines, websites, etc would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to advertise in multiple magazines and venues. Thank you in advance for any help.

Is that registry even here in the US? You will have to finish getting his approval status and get him APPROVED with a USA registry (licensed does not = approved) . Until this is done the mares that he breeds will not be able to have fully registered foals (if licensing requirements are not met with the timeframe given). Your registry base needs to have other options for foals out of stockbred mares. AWS can help you bridge that gap.

Friesian Heritage (?), AWS, AWR and maybe OLD N/A would be what I look into.

Then you can advertise on Warmbloods-for-Sale and numerous FB pages. I have noticed that FB groups are a great tool.

Maybe talk to Nico’s owners (nice stallion of Fries/Dutch lines). They seemed to do well with him before his passing. They could be a wealth of knowledge. http://nicopintostallion.com/

I think it is critical to have an up to date website with professional photos including conformation, movement, head shots, etc. Photos that are outdated or clearly amateur make me suspicious.

Is this horse under saddle? Performance record? Your audience is going to want to see videos at the most current level (update regularly if the horse is rapidly progressing) and an accurate record of the show record.

Getting a stallion out is one of the most powerful things for advertisement IMO. There are stallions whose ads I’ve never seen but I know their names well because of COTH, Facebook, etc. People met these stallions in the flesh and then eagerly recommend them to others because they can speak to their demeanor and level of training.

I would add to the above that you need to do something to separate your stallion from the many “backyard” Friesian breeders that hit the scene in the last 10-15 years when Friesians became popular. In our remote area, there are 2 or 3 Friesians that are not approved with dozens of half-bred offspring on Craigslist. Not good for the breed and goals, in my opinion. Then you have “Fredrik the Great”, being touted on COH as performing at some big shows who is known simply for his hair with no real performance record. So there seems to be Friesians and crosses known for their looks or as sport horses.

And include pedigree and famous relatives. Hilltop (for instance) has a very informative site.

I agree with Nootka, getting him approved here in the US will help. Try the FPZV, not sure how old he is, they do have a cutoff for purebreds regarding age. You could also try IFSHA and Warmbloods Today. Getting him out and showing is a great way for advertising too. Good luck.

Thank you so much for all your replies
His foals can be registered with the Barock Pinto studbook. He is only 3 and he is definitely an incredible stallion. We will look at getting him with Friesian sport horse also as well as Friesian heritage, etc. He will be shown in dressage by my trainer. He has 5 mares in foal currently in Netherlands but not due till 2017
In the Netherlands. He has a website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. I have not taken his website or FB Live yet. We have stunning pictures of him. He is quite beautiful but we believe he will be outstanding stallion for amateur owners. I am quite familiar with Nico and bred my Oldenburg mare to him this spring with his frozen but she didn’t take and I still have a straw That I am going to try again with spring 2017. I would say he is a more refined version of Nico BC he is Half Dutch and looks more warmblood like
Than Friesian except for his mane which will most likely touch the ground eventually and slight feathering. Our goal is to breed Amateur performance horses that have the Friesian and warmblood qualities with the pinto color. Most of his breed is very baroque looking and we imported him BC of his lighter body type. He was reserve champion and inspector told me he was best representative of breed he had seen and he had to place older stallion above him BC he was more muscled but he wanted to place him first. We want to take it slow with him but he will definitely be shown maybe this spring. Thank you again for all your advice. He was a considerable expense so I want to do this right. He gets out of quarantine next week so I can’t wait to get to know him!!

[QUOTE=GraceLikeRain;8830288]
I think it is critical to have an up to date website with professional photos including conformation, movement, head shots, etc. Photos that are outdated or clearly amateur make me suspicious. [/QUOTE]

I also think this is critical. We did a survey a couple of years ago and the most important place mare owners said they looked for info about a stallion is his (or the farm) website. His Facebook page was way down the list.

It’s frustrating to me to see how many SOs put all their energy in to FB. Facebook is great at certain things, but it’s really not a lot of good if you’re looking for specific information. When people want to see foal pics, or look up his height, or see a list of accomplishments - it’s your website they’ll visit.

Good luck with your new boy!

learning

[QUOTE=Pgahdoc;8831037]
Thank you so much for all your replies
His foals can be registered with the Barock Pinto studbook. He is only 3 and he is definitely an incredible stallion. We will look at getting him with Friesian sport horse also as well as Friesian heritage, etc. He will be shown in dressage by my trainer. He has 5 mares in foal currently in Netherlands but not due till 2017
In the Netherlands. He has a website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. I have not taken his website or FB Live yet. We have stunning pictures of him. He is quite beautiful but we believe he will be outstanding stallion for amateur owners. I am quite familiar with Nico and bred my Oldenburg mare to him this spring with his frozen but she didn’t take and I still have a straw That I am going to try again with spring 2017. I would say he is a more refined version of Nico BC he is Half Dutch and looks more warmblood like
Than Friesian except for his mane which will most likely touch the ground eventually and slight feathering. Our goal is to breed Amateur performance horses that have the Friesian and warmblood qualities with the pinto color. Most of his breed is very baroque looking and we imported him BC of his lighter body type. He was reserve champion and inspector told me he was best representative of breed he had seen and he had to place older stallion above him BC he was more muscled but he wanted to place him first. We want to take it slow with him but he will definitely be shown maybe this spring. Thank you again for all your advice. He was a considerable expense so I want to do this right. He gets out of quarantine next week so I can’t wait to get to know him!![/QUOTE]

is Barock like Baroque? I’ve seen Baroque Fresians advertised as registered with http://www.friesianheritage.com/Specialty_Baroque-Barock-Pinto.htm

Hi thank you again for all your outstanding points
I am putting a lot of effort into his website
The official international registry is spelled Barock pinto
http://barockpintostudbook.com

I can’t view it. Is it a color registry?

I will just say that you will need to expand your approvals to Friesian heritage and AWS/AWR to have your mare base covered. The US based registries also have awards programs. Options will also get you more mares.

Many are not going to go with Barock Pinto (and some won’t care because of “ohhhh colour!” I wouldn’t offer them breedings. I actually would be very selective on the mares I would allow. There are so many Friesian Pinto mixes. I understand yours may be the best one since sliced bread… but you have to keep him that way and give him the best chance at producing the best.). After foals are born and registered, will a representative come to the US for inspections of breeding stock? What US registries will take Barock Pinto licensing?

I have never heard of this registry before, and I have been “hanging around” WB and sporthorse breeding since the mid 80’s.

I have a few questions:
1 - How is Barock pronounced? Is it a homophone for Baroque?
2 - When was this studbook formed?
3 - Is it a member of the WBFSH?
4 - Where does the pinto coloring come from? I sort of glanced through some of the web pages, and it looks like they accept pinto colored horses from any background. So APHA, Gypsy Vanner / Tinker, pinto ASB, pinto Arabian crosses, etc., in addition to the very few pinto WB lines. And if that is the case, is the breeding goal to produce sport horses? Or just something with color and feathers?

I guess I am a cynic, but it appears at first glance to be someone’s pet registry for their pinto Friesian crosses. And I honestly don’t know how much market there is for a hairy colored stallion - esp. amongst breeders who are trying to produce true sporthorses.

DownYonder:

I will guess it came from the Samber line

I have a new stallion that I imported. He is a licensed Barock Pinto (half Dutch and half Friesian)

[QUOTE=Nootka;8833633]
DownYonder:

I will guess it came from the Samber line[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am guessing the OP’s stallion got his pinto coloring through Samber, but I would have to see his pedigree to be sure.

However, as I said, it appears from the registry website that they allow color into the registry from other sources (such as Paint, pinto ASB and pinto Arabian crosses, Gypsy Vanner/Tinker, maybe even Spotted Saddle Horses, etc.). And again - that would make it difficult for many sport horse breeders to take the registry seriously.

Based on the website link for the Barocks Pinto (I’ve never heard of this either), it looks like another registry really focused on hair and color.

I think your best bet in the U.S. will be with Gypsy/Friesian market folks who often have a similar focus.