Unlimited access >

Best place to buy a BRIDGE (aka modified 3 point) breastplate?

Alright, so I do know of a few places but they are quite expensive (hight $200s). I need one in black and it seems nearly impossible to find one that color in O/S for less than $300. Forget finding one used, apparently, they are not out there. Any help would be appreciated!

$229
Comes in oversize (price didnā€™t change when I picked O/S). Comes in Black.

Flexible Fit Equestrian.

Darn! They are out of black oversize :frowning:

PS of Sweden & Kavalkade sell 3 point bridge breastplates. The PSoS Melbourne is nice because the martingale rings on it clip to the reins so you donā€™t have to unbuckle them but they stopped making it so theyā€™re really only available through European retailers. They also made one called Tokyo that is also a 3 point bridge.
Kavalkadeā€™s Diandro breastplate is one that would work but itā€™s hard to find in size warmblood/OS.
Bliss of London has one that is buildable so you adjust the fit but I would ask them about it to make sure it fits.
Also if you are okay with blue/white elastic, FFE has this black leather breastplate in O/S in stock.

I would recommend looking around in the Eventing Tack groups on Facebook!

Bridles & Reins (formerly Royal Tack) has this:

I have this exact one (not in black though) and the quality is good. I only use it for XC and havenā€™t been able to get out much so it hasnā€™t had a lot of use, but I do get compliments on it whenever I do.

It looks like they have a couple other styles of bridge breastplates too.

I love my Flexible Fit Bridge breastplate. It fetid one slightly chunkier horse better than this younger thinner barn mateā€¦ but do love itā€¦

Either Iā€™m dumb, or this isnā€™t a bridge breastplateā€¦ itā€™s nice looking though.

Isnā€™t it? The bridge is the part that goes over the withers, and then youā€™ve got the two points of attachment (instead of the 4 like in a 5-point).

I would consider this a 3-point: https://www.pleasantridge.ca/index.php/english-tack/breastplates/ovationr-elite-collection-3-point-wide-elastic-breastplate-with-sheepskin-padding.html

And then the style that I posted a bridge 3-point.

Maybe I learned wrong?

The Ovation one is technically a 3 point but not a modified bridge breastplate. Modified bridge ones attach to the billet straps, not the D-rings. They attach like this: https://ffequestrian.com/products/modified-bridge-breastplate-black-silver-elastic?variant=31556013392005

1 Like

I was under the impression they attached to the billets, not the Ds.

Ah - the ā€œmodifiedā€ must mean it attaches to billets, not d-rings. Sorry, the one I have that I posted definitely attaches to the d-rings.

1 Like

Itā€™s a super nice looking breastplate, though! I like the front of it.

1 Like

Yes I posted the Ovation as an example of a standard 3 point. A bridge has the piece that goes over the withers, like the one I posted earlier on from Bridles and Reins. OP was looking for one that attaches to the billets which I think must be the ā€œmodifiedā€ part.

1 Like

Nunn Finer has 5-ways that look like they could be converted to ā€˜modifiedā€™ by removing the straps that connect to the D-rings.

https://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-Breastplates-s/3173.htm

Thanks to everyone for your help. The modified connects directly to the billets/girth as mentioned by @endlessclimb. Looks like I will have to hit up FFE for one although I wish they had the black/black in stock in o/s.

1 Like

I asked a similar question a little bit ago. Looks like the responses may have been lost in the forum move or else I would link it here.

I ended up going with this one:

Iā€™ve also had this one in the past:
https://www.sstack.com/joseph-sterling-raised-adjustable-breastplate-with-running-martingale-attachment/p/31826/

I think I like the sterling one better on my more narrow chested guy, but he jumped so big one day and broke it, so replaced it with the one from tack n rider, and I like it on my thicker guy.

Doesnā€™t look like either comes in black. You could always die it? But thats kinda scary.

That is what a friend of mine did with her HDR five point - just removed the D ring straps.

Where is the elastic on the first one? I like the styling, but do want to ensure shoulder freedom.

Its actually what goes around the billets - it is reinforced around the billets, but it is different. So you cannot see it while its on the horse (covered by the flaps or the riders leg).

1 Like

The NunnFiner one(s) comes in black and oversize. Doesnā€™t say out of stock. The billet straps arenā€™t even stitched on so very easy to remove.