Unlimited access >

Best place to live Hunter/Jumpers?

Just curious, what’s your vote for the best place to live while trying to be in the Hunter/jumper business? I currently have a facility in California that we rent out stalls at and it has worked out wonderfully, however it is very expensive and I’m always interested in real estate.
What is your opinion on the best place to live with horses and kids? Ocala, Wellington, Virgina, North Carolina, etc?
Thanks! Should be a fun topic!

I expect it all depends. CA is expe$ive, but I think Welly World might be even more so. There are parts of VA that are still not hideously expensive, but they’re probably not near major metro centers.

You might look at the area around Hanover, NH - it’s pricey in places, but rural. When I left (20 years ago), there wasn’t a huge H/J scene (it was mostly dressage and eventing), but it’s close to the Vermont shows in the summer, and if you build an indoor, they will come. Lovely place to raise kids.

I think it all depends on what kind business you want and the clientele you want to attract. Do you want a top of the line, go on the road and show the As exclusively? A business where your clients are competitive on a strong local/B circuit and do the local A shows? More of a family-friendly barn that shows the local circuit?

Different areas also have different expenses relevant to horse keeping. In areas like Ocala, hay is ridiculously expensive. Up north (like in California) there’s very little turn-out. I grew up in Massachusetts, where turn-out is not the norm, and an hour or two a day in a 30 x 30 paddock added significantly to the board bill. Here in MD, small group turn-out is standard, the price of hay is fairly reasonable, and the climate is decent (though we definitely get a true winter from January to March, and it’s at these times that I dream of Aiken). There are strong local and regional circuits and several A shows close by. However, taxes are high and the cost of horse-friendly real estate closer into DC is exorbitant. If you go to where land is cheaper, traffic from the city makes it prohibitive for most clients to get to you.

I think every place has its pluses and minus–you just have to find what works for you.

NOVA or the Mid-Atlantic (PA/NJ/DE) with Atlanta area as a close 3rd.

I live in Monmouth County, NJ. While I don’t really show nor am I a very high-end client (alas :wink: ) there is certainly money in the area and considerable level of demand for high-end barns.

Particularly given its size, NJ has quite a number of disciplines represented within its borders (I know of Western, saddle seat, and dressage barns within a relatively short distance from me and an eventing barn about an hour away) but h/j is definitely dominant within my immediate area. There’s a wide variety of opportunities available from schooling shows to A-circuit stuff 'year round. A number of barns do go to Vermont and Florida.

The main downsides to NJ are the property taxes and the high costs of living in general. There are many fine school districts in my area although of course the quality is always somewhat variable.

There is also just a tremendous amount of competition between barns and clients can switch relatively easily. I can’t tell you how many times someone has mentioned to me, “Oh, I ride as well,” and I’ve never heard of their barn. Or I’ve taken a detour and seen a new barn I never heard of! There are also a number of facilities like Beacon Hill (not my barn btw) which have very storied reputations which might be difficult to rival if you’re trying to attract top-level competitors with money to spend.

I agree it is an interesting topic and thank you for starting it! I’ve never ridden on the West Coast and I’d be interested to hear about the different h/j culture there. (I guess California culture shock is something else to factor in! :lol:)

Here’s the thing about places like wellington/middleburg/long island/etc, if you want to run a business there you have to be very very realistic about your abilities as you will be competing for clients with the best of the best. There’s a reason why we joke in these places you can’t throw a stone without hitting an Olympian. If you want to build a business you have to consider the demand of the area and the supply of trainers already available.

If I was a successful trainer and competitor but not the best of the best, I’d set up shop in Texas. They have money, a lot of good horses, but not a lot of really good trainers/instructors.

If you don’t really need to make money and you just want a great area for H/J scene then I’d absolutely choose Middleburg VA, or the Hamptons, and winter in Florida.

I don’t know, but I just saw a for sale ad the other day for a farm in Ocala that looked really nice and is close to HITS. :slight_smile:

I would warn against Wellington. While WEF seems great, it is there for a very short amount of time, and then the show circuit there dies. There are no major shows from April-December. On top of this, the weather+bugs are terrible in the summer. There is a reason we all leave in the spring-time!
However, I do know some people who make a pretty penny off of boarding horses during WEF.

I have lived in Atlanta for the majority of my life and it really just isn’t for me, horse scene atleast. We were supposed to move to Philadelphia and there seemed to be a lot of great trainers there and both rated and local shows. I am now in New Hampshire and it is pricey with limited turnout. The good thing up here is that an indoor is pretty much standard. I worked in South Carolina around the Landrum as well as the Aiken area. The weather was wonderful and there are plenty of show circuits. I would look at SE Pennsylvania or South Carolina myself.

I live in Southern Pines, NC…horsey heaven. With that said, it is expensive to keep horses here. Land prices are high, hay prices are high, etc. You also have a lot of people that have their own barn or people who board keep their horses in someone else’s back yard. People are more apt to trailer (or ride in) to a lesson.

I would have to say Northern Virginia… believe it or not I do not believe the Leesburg/Middleburg area is saturated, in fact I think there is some opportunity for a smaller, top notch kid focused show barn in this area. There are a million local shows and a ton of local level barns, but in this area, a barn with an emphasis on A rated ponies and kids would still do well. There are some top programs but generally will price the up and coming pony rider out (meaning someone who is at SS level and hoping to progress through the levels). Has to be reasonably priced and have an indoor to really be successful though.

Also there are TONS of shows in the area to ship to, both local VHSA associate or USEF rated. Land is not cheap, no, but depending on where in CA you are, it may seem cheap in comparison… it’ all a matter of what you’re used to where you are.

A plethora of great farriers, vets etc, and a generally horsey community with some wealth and income stability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County,_Kansas

If you are looking for a mix of high(ish) income and cheap land, look no further than in and around Johnson County, Kansas. It is relatively affluent in an area of the US that has a low cost of living and lots of not too expensive land. That said, it has been a number of years since I have lived in the area and done horses there. There used to be a decent number of fun, un-rated shows and show series.

The down side was that there was a lot of travel distance to get to rated shows (Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, etc). The climate is fairly horrendous-- very cold in the winter, tornadoes in the spring, hot and humid summers. Fall is nice if short lived.

I don’t know what the current climate is like in terms of number of barns or what the hunter-jumper local scene is like. There might be others on the forum with more up to date knowledge than me.

But all in all, perhaps a place to think about if you want affordable land, and a pool of potential clients with high incomes.

Chester County, PA. But there are a ton of other barns, so the competition for clients is high. But there are shows all the time, and the countryside is perfect. Horse heaven to me.

Southern Pines and surrounding area. Ride or drive outside all year. Lots of different disciplines to test out your skills.

[QUOTE=Sunflower;8489486]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County,_Kansas

If you are looking for a mix of high(ish) income and cheap land, look no further than in and around Johnson County, Kansas. It is relatively affluent in an area of the US that has a low cost of living and lots of not too expensive land. That said, it has been a number of years since I have lived in the area and done horses there. There used to be a decent number of fun, un-rated shows and show series.

The down side was that there was a lot of travel distance to get to rated shows (Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, etc). The climate is fairly horrendous-- very cold in the winter, tornadoes in the spring, hot and humid summers. Fall is nice if short lived.

I don’t know what the current climate is like in terms of number of barns or what the hunter-jumper local scene is like. There might be others on the forum with more up to date knowledge than me.

But all in all, perhaps a place to think about if you want affordable land, and a pool of potential clients with high incomes.[/QUOTE]

We are in desperate need of quality trainers and facilities! Lots of potential high end clientele, not a lot of options barn/trainer wide. I currently live in Kansas City, MO and am struggling to find a satisfactory facility/training situation.

[QUOTE=Mayaty02;8489361]
I would have to say Northern Virginia… believe it or not I do not believe the Leesburg/Middleburg area is saturated, in fact I think there is some opportunity for a smaller, top notch kid focused show barn in this area. There are a million local shows and a ton of local level barns, but in this area, a barn with an emphasis on A rated ponies and kids would still do well. There are some top programs but generally will price the up and coming pony rider out (meaning someone who is at SS level and hoping to progress through the levels). Has to be reasonably priced and have an indoor to really be successful though.[/QUOTE] I agree with this. We certainly have our fill of Olympians, upper level show jumpers and a few top notch hunter trainers in this area. BUT, they are always on the road and are very expensive. There’s not a lot in between these ultra premium barns and the local circuit type barns either in terms of high quality care or quality instruction that stays relatively local and doesn’t travel all over the eastern seaboard. Honestly, I have yet to board at a non-GP level barn in this area that can even be bothered to swap blankets out when the weather changes.

This goes for both the Middleburg area and right across the river in Maryland.

[QUOTE=TrueNorth;8488646]
Just curious, what’s your vote for the best place to live while trying to be in the Hunter/jumper business? I currently have a facility in California that we rent out stalls at and it has worked out wonderfully, however it is very expensive and I’m always interested in real estate.
What is your opinion on the best place to live with horses and kids? Ocala, Wellington, Virgina, North Carolina, etc?
Thanks! Should be a fun topic![/QUOTE]

Chicagoland area has a thriving hunter/jumper scene with a mix of income levels, several show circuits, huge nearby metropolitan area, decent cost of living, etc. Obviously the winters suck, but we have 2 indoor circuits during the winter within reasonable driving distance (Ledges & St Louis). Our summer shows can’t be beat.

Land crunch is becoming a bigger issue but you can still drive a little over an hour west of Chicago and find tons of acreage.

Well I guess it really depends what your preferences are, but if you are willing to look a little bit outside the box, then I have an interesting recommendation. Sarasota… For kids a paradise! There are some of the best beaches in the country (a lot nicer then any beach in California…) Amazing Culture (Opera, Theatres, one of the best Museums in the US, great Schools), 2 hours away from Ocala, 3 1/2 hours away from Wellington, nice Show facilities about 30 min away in Fox Lea, Venice and Tampa Fairgrounds, A lot of money, not much competition H/J wise. Lately I noticed that in my area there are people moving into the area from Wellington and I think there are going to be some HJ Barns getting started as well. If you want some more information you can PM me. I think there is a lot of potential in the area.

Wow Kristinav, how things change… When I was a teenager, KC had several good H/J trainers and quite a lot of riders. We’d see a bunch of them at shows in Oklahoma and other venues all around that area. Too bad that those trainers’ businesses were not able to keep going.

I think this is a great thread to help out professionals! Hope this results in some more quality trainers finding clients in areas that need them.

I think it depends on what niche you want to fill, and the weather.
I grew up in New England and lived in the upper mid-west for a while. I HATE WINTER! Yes, every barn has to have an indoor to be feasible, but they are usually dusty, crowded, and in the winter, unless heated, can still have hard ground when temps are frigid. And there may be decent winter show circuits, but it’s miserable trailering in the snow, and driving yourself to the barn in sleet and dark, and then riding a wild, spooky horse who can’t play in turnout because the ground is frozen, rutted mess.

Mid Atlantic and NC would be my recommendations for ideal locations. Mild “enough” winters and tolerable summers. I love living IVO Southern Pines. But parts of MD or VA are also just wonderful.

You need to balance cost of living, cost of land/facilities, access to clients with $/interest, comfort of climate, and access to shows/clinics and good farriers/vet/chiro. You’ll never find a place with ALL of those, so pick which ones you’re willing to sacrifice, and then look in that market.