Unlimited access >

Best Place to Search For Dressage Lease Horses

Hello everyone,

I have an interesting situation I would like to share. I am an ambitious junior rider, and I wanted to get my bronze on the horse I bought a year ago. However, the horse is no longer sound, and I have nothing medically left to pursue for him. I’m in a difficult situation, as I plan to go out of state for college in about eight months. I would love to start getting my bronze before I head off to college, and I think the best option for my family would be to lease an upper-level schoolmaster. I have been looking for the past few days on various popular websites, and I can’t seem to find any solid lease options. Does anyone have any ideas/options? I’m in Texas if that helps any.

I think you would have the most luck going through a trainer. If your trainer does not have any prospects maybe they can network. I think a lot of this situations arise from word of mouth and not from sales ads. I could be wrong though.

3 Likes

I agree! I was at a horse show this weekend and I made a few connections. I have my trainer working on it as well, but just want to have as many feelers out as possible. It (Hopefully) makes the process quicker.

2 Likes

Here in Florida we have a FB page that is mostly sale horses but occasionally a lease opportunity. You might want to see if there is something like that for your part of Texas. Post on sales pages “ISO lease”. They aren’t easy to find so do everything you can. Talk to everyone you know. Be open - some people will do lease only at their current barn or want to have the horse w/ specific trainer. I actually did a 1/2 lease of my older FEI horse to a friend, she spent a few months getting to know him and got her bronze in 3 shows.

1 Like

Word of mouth is the best way. Do you have a trainer who is well-connected? Start there. Outside of Wellington a lot of times this kind of lease never gets advertised. But when someone knows their beloved FEI schoolmaster will be in a reputable program with a good trainer and a skilled rider, lease arrangements get quietly made all the time.

1 Like

I am very blessed to have a trainer involved in making Texas more Dressage friendly. She is involved in local GMO’s, USDF Boards etc. She also works for sport-horse breeders out of state. It’s totally different in the Dressage world then the jumping world. Horses would get leased out all the time back when I used to jump. As of today, my trainer has one option. So we shall see :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Yes you are absolutely correct re the H/J world.

1 Like