Unlimited access >

Best saddle for equitation rider around $2k?

[QUOTE=Pumalume;8752456]
@lucassb have you or do you know anyone who has purchased a saddle from ebay? I’m just nervous i’m not going to get what i think i’m getting. Just want to be sure its totally reasonable to purchase a saddle from ebay or if i should use a more reliable site/vendor.[/QUOTE]

I have bought several saddles on Ebay and have sold several more. I’ve never had a problem but as Rugbug and Bogie note, it’s important to know what you are looking for ahead of time. In other words, if you love your friend’s County, get the serial number and decode it so you know what seat, flap etc you want to buy. It’s not fair to a seller to not do that homework and then send a saddle back because it’s the wrong size or doesn’t fit - even though you could get away with that under the current Ebay/Paypal rules. (For this reason, I no longer SELL on Ebay, but I do purchase a fair amount.)

FWIW, I have bought and sold some pretty high end saddles on Ebay, including Hermes, Antares and Devoucoux. I just bought a really really nice Beval Artisan as a back up saddle because it was such a screaming good deal I couldn’t pass it up - $725 in near perfect condition. Again you do have to know more or less exactly what you are looking for, but if you do, you can get incredible bargains.

If you aren’t comfortable with ebay, there are on-line tack stores selling and shipping saddles, with trial periods and a return policy. Some of these are also brick and mortar stores, long-established and with good reputations. Depending on where you live, there will also be consignment tack stores, and local people selling used saddles on craigslist or facebook sales groups.

If you like a particular saddle and know its specs, especially a popular brand like County, you should absolutely be able to buy it sooner rather than later.

You should also work with an independent saddle fitter to check the fit and the flocking, which might need to be replaced or augmented or tweaked.

There is a lively trade in very good condition used saddles, as people often need to sell them if they change horses, or even if their horse’s condition and shape changes as they grow and develop. You should be able to get a good used saddle for 50 % of its retail cost. Most people I know buy used saddles, and have very good luck with them, better often than those who buy new.

And the jump in quality between a $2000 new saddle, and a $2000 good condition used saddle, is huge. At least here in Canada, with our low dollar, a $2000 new saddle would basically be a “starter” saddle with little to recommend it. Maybe your dollar goes a bit further in the US, but probably not that much further.

I’ve also bought and sold on eBay (same saddle actually bought it on eBay and sold it on eBay ~5 years later lol). As everyone noted above eBay/PayPal are pretty protective of buyers. I think one of the downsides though is most, if not all, eBay sellers don’t generally allow the saddle to go out on trial like some of the other online sites will. So I’ll echo everyone else that eBay is good if you know exactly what you’re looking for!

I’ve never sprayed it on my tack. I will use it on my boots or half chaps if I feel like I need a little extra stick. I would hesitate to apply it directly to the saddle flaps.

County’s XTR leather is textured and quite grippy, but you may or may not like the look (I would think the difference would be undetectable–and of no importance–from the vantage point of most judges).

I, too, have bought and sold saddles on EBay with success. Know exactly what you want, check seller feedback, ask for extra pictures if you need them, and don’t pay more than you think it’s worth.

My input…

1. The XTR leather on the Stabilizers IS really nice and a little extra grippy (previous trainer had one and that’s when I HAD TO HAVE a Stabilizer!)

2. I got a used and in good condition Stabilizer for $1,100 a few years ago- it can be done! Girl had it listed on Ebay for $1250, I found it in a local ad for $1,200 (I guess because she wouldn’t have to ship it), and she ended up taking $1,100 cash for it. A super deal! The ebay ad was accurate too, so I wouldn’t worry too much as long as you don’t get a bad vibe from the seller. You should know the exact size you’re looking for (because you probably can’t return it for just a size issue on your end), make sure there are plenty of good quality photos, only buy from sellers with positive feedback, and don’t buy if there’s iffy commuication or it doesn’t seem right.

3. If you’re not worried about resale value and having your saddle in pristine condition forever, don’t be scared to use that sticky spray! One of my horses has a huge jump and I occassionally spray it where my legs go and a little on the seat before jumping him at a show (we event). It has not ruined my saddle or left nasty gunk residue beyond normal sweat/dirt. I value staying on more than perfect looking leather, but that’s just me. :smiley: I’m also not selling my saddle so it’s no one’s problem but my own.

That’s why I’m not selling there any more either. It’s a shame, because I have a tackroom full of saddles that I’d like to move along. And I think there are fewer people selling on ebay not because there is no buyer protection.

FWIW, I have bought and sold some pretty high end saddles on Ebay, including Hermes, Antares and Devoucoux. I just bought a really really nice Beval Artisan as a back up saddle because it was such a screaming good deal I couldn’t pass it up - $725 in near perfect condition. Again you do have to know more or less exactly what you are looking for, but if you do, you can get incredible bargains.

Yup, the most I’ve spent on an eBay saddle is $1100 and I’ve bought County, Stackhouse, Schleese, Jeffries . . . . nice saddles. I do know what I like, though, and I’m not afraid to buy something and flip it if it doesn’t work for me.

Tha

How has nobody mentioned Black Country? Great English-made saddle (like County), super customizable, very affordable.

I would take a look at the Beval Artisan. If I recall correctly, it retails under your price point and is really a nice saddle. You can also order it in different seat and flap sizes, which is helpful for someone with a long femur.

I saw this saddle for the first time several years ago and was quite impressed with the quality for the price. It’s pebble leather and super soft. A bargain, for sure.

thank you so much for the ebay info!! There are so many on ebay so i’m glad to hear people have purchased great saddles on there. As for the flocking i am pro wool flocking since it can be changed to fit any horse. so much to think about ugh… lol. At least my friend doesn’t plan on riding any time soon so I have a while to ride in her saddle and do my homework!

thanks! definitely doing my homework so i know exactly what i want

[QUOTE=Crown Royal;8752800]
My input…

1. The XTR leather on the Stabilizers IS really nice and a little extra grippy (previous trainer had one and that’s when I HAD TO HAVE a Stabilizer!)

2. I got a used and in good condition Stabilizer for $1,100 a few years ago- it can be done! Girl had it listed on Ebay for $1250, I found it in a local ad for $1,200 (I guess because she wouldn’t have to ship it), and she ended up taking $1,100 cash for it. A super deal! The ebay ad was accurate too, so I wouldn’t worry too much as long as you don’t get a bad vibe from the seller. You should know the exact size you’re looking for (because you probably can’t return it for just a size issue on your end), make sure there are plenty of good quality photos, only buy from sellers with positive feedback, and don’t buy if there’s iffy commuication or it doesn’t seem right.

3. If you’re not worried about resale value and having your saddle in pristine condition forever, don’t be scared to use that sticky spray! One of my horses has a huge jump and I occassionally spray it where my legs go and a little on the seat before jumping him at a show (we event). It has not ruined my saddle or left nasty gunk residue beyond normal sweat/dirt. I value staying on more than perfect looking leather, but that’s just me. :smiley: I’m also not selling my saddle so it’s no one’s problem but my own.[/QUOTE]

AWESOME INFO! THANK YOU!

I’m thinking that CWD and Antares are not in the price range this poster has expressed!

[QUOTE=Pumalume;8753327]
As for the flocking i am pro wool flocking since it can be changed to fit any horse. [/QUOTE]

Please keep in mind that wool flocked saddle cannot be flocked to fit any horse. The underlying tree…and to a lesser extent, panel need to be the right shape/width, etc and then the flocking can fine tune the fit. Any person that tells you that a wool flocked saddle can fit any horse is selling something.

[QUOTE=RugBug;8753350]
Please keep in mind that wool flocked saddle cannot be flocked to fit any horse. The underlying tree…and to a lesser extent, panel need to be the right shape/width, etc and then the flocking can fine tune the fit. Any person that tells you that a wool flocked saddle can fit any horse is selling something.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You need to know the tree size . . . and different manufacturers measure their trees differently. If you buy on eBay you need to really dial down all the parameters. As Rugbug said, even buying a saddle with an adjustable tree many not always work because the shape of the panels, etc.

no they really aren’t lol. used that aren’t too old like 5-6 years are $3500 on average. which i’m ok spending but my husband would have a heart attack haha he isn’t aware that we are about to be poor now that i’m riding again :lol:

really @rugbug? I was under the impression that it was extremely important for fitting your horse?

[QUOTE=Pumalume;8752456]
@lucassb have you or do you know anyone who has purchased a saddle from ebay? I’m just nervous i’m not going to get what i think i’m getting. Just want to be sure its totally reasonable to purchase a saddle from ebay or if i should use a more reliable site/vendor.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I’ve bought a couple on eBay, and sold a couple there too. If you’re buying something custom, or that could have been customized or fitted, you have to know what you’re looking for. That means the stuff that’s recorded under the flap- tree size, flap length and forwardness, deep or flat seat- as well as the history. Especially for a wool flocked saddle, which unlike a foam one won’t have this information readily available under the flap, ask if it was fitted to a specific horse. Ask how old the flocking is (it compresses over time and can get lumpy; this can be routine wool maintenance.) If you decide you want a Stabilizer just like your friend’s, find out what makes your friend’s work so well for you, and shop for that set of parameters. On a foam saddle of the Frenchie variety you’d want to know all the numbers under the flap, which designate the panel configuration, and then call the manufacturer to figure out what that means unless you’re good at decoding them yourself.

Smith-Worthington makes a great saddle. It will last you 200 years if you take care of it and about 75 if you don’t. Their resale value in the US is less than their actual quality because they don’t have a ton of brand recognition. They do wool flocking and have a variety of options. However, I personally found some of their newer models to lack a close contact feel. (I actually felt like I was sitting in a pavilion atop an elephant.) Your mileage may vary.

The panels are half the battle but they aren’t all of it. The place to start is the tree. If the tree is too narrow for your horse, the thinnest panels in the world won’t make it fit- it will still be too tight. If the tree is too wide for your horse, the thickest panels in the world won’t make it fit- trying to do it will compromise the fit in other ways. If your horse is a high-withered beastie built like an A-frame roof, a flat saddle is going to sit on his withers unless you prop it up with a fat pad from the 90’s, and then you’re possibly making the saddle functionally too narrow and skewing the way it sits. If your horse is flat like a 2x4 from the wither to the rump, a banana-shaped tree is not going to sit level on that horse.

Start with the tree geometry that matches the skeletal geometry of your horse. Then build the panels to match the muscle geometry.

Wool panels have an advantage over foam in that they can be readily customized and re-customized to suit a horse who redevelops his musculature. It compresses over time and re-flocking should be considered normal maintenance over the lifetime of the saddle. Foam can also be customized for fit, but if you build a foam saddle to fill in wither hollows and the horse gains muscle and fills them in himself, you now need the saddler to either make you a new piece of foam panel or to do panel surgery in the tack room (which usually won’t happen, so you’re sending it away.) Foam is durable and doesn’t compress as much as wool, so unless you choose to replace them, you can figure that the panels you get are the panels you will have in 10 years. Either one will mold to the horse’s back.

Are you looking for your own horse, or one you lease? Or do you ride a variety of school horses?

[QUOTE=Pumalume;8753370]
really @rugbug? I was under the impression that it was extremely important for fitting your horse?[/QUOTE]

It’s important that your saddle fit both your horse and you. But your statement was that a wool flocked saddle can be made to fit any horse. That isn’t true. The tree width, shape, where the tree points hit are all still factors that need to be addressed even if you buy wool. The biggest difference between wool and foam is how you fine tune the fit of a correctly shaped saddle.

Think of it like buying shoes. A wool flocked saddle is like buying a pair of shoes that fit pretty good. Then someone makes you socks that make the fit perfect. The have the right kind of arch support, the toes are thicker if need be, the heel is reinforced, etc. Now you only wear those shoes with those socks. The are a pair that cannot be separated.

Now you buy the same shoes and they fit pretty good. Instead of getting custom made socks to make it fit perfect, you buy a pair of athletic socks and maybe a pair of anklets that you will wear over the athletic socks. The shoes fit pretty good, but it’s not molded to your foot the way the custom made socks did.

If you don’t start with an underlying pair of shoes that mostly fits, you are going to be in trouble. Same is true with saddles. Underlying structure of the saddle needs to work for both horse and rider. Then it can be fine tuned either with wool (best fine tuning available) or with pads when using a foam panel (that’s over simplified because foam panels do have some ability to be custom made if you are going the $$$$ route…but even then once it’s built, you will be fine tuning fit with saddle pads rather than re-stuffing.

Also now that a wool saddle should be looked at every 6-12 months for reflocking. Wool will pack and harden and it needs to be addressed in order to keep the saddle fitting and keep the panels from getting hard or lumpy.

[QUOTE=RugBug;8753445]

Also now that a wool saddle should be looked at every 6-12 months for reflocking. Wool will pack and harden and it needs to be addressed in order to keep the saddle fitting and keep the panels from getting hard or lumpy.[/QUOTE]

My experience is that once your horse is mature and in steady work, they don’t change shape that much. I have my saddles checked every 6 months and it’s rare that they need work. yes, wool compresses and gets lumpy, but not that quickly.

With a “new to me” wool paneled saddle I expect to do one major refitting (sometimes the wool is 10 years old or so!) to fit my mature horses. That runs me about $150. Then there may be the occasional tweaking as the horse settles into work, then very little until the horse hits late teens and starts to narrow.

[QUOTE=Renn/aissance;8753438]
Yup, I’ve bought a couple on eBay, and sold a couple there too. If you’re buying something custom, or that could have been customized or fitted, you have to know what you’re looking for. That means the stuff that’s recorded under the flap- tree size, flap length and forwardness, deep or flat seat- as well as the history. Especially for a wool flocked saddle, which unlike a foam one won’t have this information readily available under the flap, ask if it was fitted to a specific horse. Ask how old the flocking is (it compresses over time and can get lumpy; this can be routine wool maintenance.) If you decide you want a Stabilizer just like your friend’s, find out what makes your friend’s work so well for you, and shop for that set of parameters. On a foam saddle of the Frenchie variety you’d want to know all the numbers under the flap, which designate the panel configuration, and then call the manufacturer to figure out what that means unless you’re good at decoding them yourself.

Smith-Worthington makes a great saddle. It will last you 200 years if you take care of it and about 75 if you don’t. Their resale value in the US is less than their actual quality because they don’t have a ton of brand recognition. They do wool flocking and have a variety of options. However, I personally found some of their newer models to lack a close contact feel. (I actually felt like I was sitting in a pavilion atop an elephant.) Your mileage may vary.

The panels are half the battle but they aren’t all of it. The place to start is the tree. If the tree is too narrow for your horse, the thinnest panels in the world won’t make it fit- it will still be too tight. If the tree is too wide for your horse, the thickest panels in the world won’t make it fit- trying to do it will compromise the fit in other ways. If your horse is a high-withered beastie built like an A-frame roof, a flat saddle is going to sit on his withers unless you prop it up with a fat pad from the 90’s, and then you’re possibly making the saddle functionally too narrow and skewing the way it sits. If your horse is flat like a 2x4 from the wither to the rump, a banana-shaped tree is not going to sit level on that horse.

Start with the tree geometry that matches the skeletal geometry of your horse. Then build the panels to match the muscle geometry.

Wool panels have an advantage over foam in that they can be readily customized and re-customized to suit a horse who redevelops his musculature. It compresses over time and re-flocking should be considered normal maintenance over the lifetime of the saddle. Foam can also be customized for fit, but if you build a foam saddle to fill in wither hollows and the horse gains muscle and fills them in himself, you now need the saddler to either make you a new piece of foam panel or to do panel surgery in the tack room (which usually won’t happen, so you’re sending it away.) Foam is durable and doesn’t compress as much as wool, so unless you choose to replace them, you can figure that the panels you get are the panels you will have in 10 years. Either one will mold to the horse’s back.

Are you looking for your own horse, or one you lease? Or do you ride a variety of school horses?[/QUOTE]

Thank you again for all the info. At this point I am riding a variety of school horses. Hoping that once my trainer gets a better feel for how I ride and I find a horse that suits me best I’ll be sticking with one school horse and then maybe a lease down the road. Which is another reason I’m just trying to get my research done and taking my time to buy. prob 6+ months out.