Unlimited access >

Best Saddles for XC / Jumping Phases?

I’m on the lookout for a saddle I can use for Cross Country and Stadium, after I found out my position-over-fences problems were caused primarily by my A/P saddle. (Rode in a saddle I had on trial and suddenly my position was solid, even over large and awkward fences. Sent it back because it fit my horse kind of funny)

Anybody have recommendations? I’ve been on the lookout but a lot of the saddles I like the look/price of have gotten negative reviews from eventers. I’m a college student living with my parents who support my riding habit, so I can’t spend a huge sum on a saddle. No $3k or more saddles for me. (And I’m totally happy buying used)

Well, with everything in the horse world, it depends. What works well for me (a County Conquest with a high, extra forward flap and minimal blocks) won’t necessarily work for you.

What’s YOUR conformation like? Short leg? Long leg? Long femur? Are you tall? Short? Fluffy? Skinny? Do you prefer lots of blocks and rolls, or are you a minimalist, like me?

[QUOTE=CruisingAlong;7063575]
I’m on the lookout for a saddle I can use for Cross Country and Stadium, after I found out my position-over-fences problems were caused primarily by my A/P saddle. (Rode in a saddle I had on trial and suddenly my position was solid, even over large and awkward fences. Sent it back because it fit my horse kind of funny)

Anybody have recommendations? I’ve been on the lookout but a lot of the saddles I like the look/price of have gotten negative reviews from eventers. I’m a college student living with my parents who support my riding habit, so I can’t spend a huge sum on a saddle. No $3k or more saddles for me. (And I’m totally happy buying used)[/QUOTE]

I just bought a saddle on closeout at dover that is a pretty passable butet knockoff-- the circuit premier special. It was $600 on closeout. It’s forward enough that I could jack up my stirrups without a problem (though I’d have too much flap if I did-- a story for another day).

I think you’re going to get a lot of different responses, to be honest. For me, because I’m short, I pretty much need a custom saddle if the saddle is going to help me. But most don’t HINDER me and I make do. So the short answer is, whatever fits your horse and is passable for you. Ride in a lot of saddles to see what you like. I like flat seats and a forward balance, which is completely different than some of the deep-seated monoflaps. All personal preference.

I ride both stadium and cross country in an Amerigo and love it!! I have the monoflap, but I have sat in the dual flap ones and found them to be extremely well balanced as well. We have a few Amerigo’s in the barn, and they seem to fit a wide variety of horses reasonably well. They are fairly easy to find used and might be worth a try.

As far as my conformation, I’m as average as they come. I’m about 5’4" with an average sized femur. I don’t like a lot of huge blocks, but a little or none is preferable. I like monoflaps but it certainly isn’t a major requirement.

It’s just hard to demo/test saddles where I live, because then I have to either spend the gas to get to tack shops that might let me demo them (and then again to give it back) or pay shipping. I don’t live in a huge horsey area, mostly everyone I’m around here does low-level hunters and rides in an all-purpose saddle. Not gonna work for me, unfortunately haha.

I’m only riding BN/N atm, but I need a saddle that will accomadate us if and when we do get up the levels, because I’m fairly certain that if all goes well we’ll be Prelim in a few years, and I can’t afford to be buying saddles every few years.

I’m mostly hoping just to get some ideas, so I know what is worth demoing/test riding/looking for and what might not be so great.

I’ll definitely look into some Amerigos, I’ve always liked the look of them :]

Any major opinions on Stubbens? Or what would be the best and/or worst models to consider?

[QUOTE=CruisingAlong;7064571]
As far as my conformation, I’m as average as they come. I’m about 5’4" with an average sized femur. I don’t like a lot of huge blocks, but a little or none is preferable. I like monoflaps but it certainly isn’t a major requirement.

It’s just hard to demo/test saddles where I live, because then I have to either spend the gas to get to tack shops that might let me demo them (and then again to give it back) or pay shipping. I don’t live in a huge horsey area, mostly everyone I’m around here does low-level hunters and rides in an all-purpose saddle. Not gonna work for me, unfortunately haha.

I’m only riding BN/N atm, but I need a saddle that will accomadate us if and when we do get up the levels, because I’m fairly certain that if all goes well we’ll be Prelim in a few years, and I can’t afford to be buying saddles every few years.

I’m mostly hoping just to get some ideas, so I know what is worth demoing/test riding/looking for and what might not be so great.[/QUOTE]

The thornhill 24k event is a lovely saddle as well, $1200 new.

I ride both phases in a Devoucoux Biarritz. A new one will set you back some $$ but I found a really nice used one for under $2000. If you can meet up with a saddle rep it would give you an opportunity to try used saddles and possibly get a good deal on a saddle brand that they do not rep.

In your price range, I would look into an Ainsley Pro National. It’s a model that’s meant for cross country. Some of the really older ones are a little rough around the edges, but if you look hard enough you can probably find one in nice condition. I owned one for awhile and really loved it, but ended up trading in for a saddle that was better suited for my horse. It was super comfortable and put me in an awesome position for jumping and galloping.

Love Stubbens. Can’t go wrong with a Siegfried or Roxanne. The Excalibur monoflap is nice too. But honestly it depends on your conformation, and what type of saddles you like. Do you like big blocks, deep seats, or flat seated, minimalist saddles?

For me, at 5’9" and a long leg I love my Prestige Eventer. I love deep seated saddles with big thigh and knee blocks.

I suggest you ride in everything you can get your hands on.