Unlimited access >

Best show coats?

Hello,
I’ve been out of showing for quite some time, both my show costs no longer fit and are quite tight in the arms with no stretch.
What are some of the best looking show coats with a good amount of stretch to them?
I really like the “For horses” coats but they are super expensive
Thank you in advanced!

Like all clothes for adults, the fit is going to be very individual.

My experience with horse and office wear both is containing the boobage.

I love the look of old wool hunt coats and I wear one to work :slight_smile: but totally see the attraction of the modern stretchy coats that are actual athletic wear. But I think they are very unforgiving in terms of showing bra strap bulge and muffin top.

The best brand for you will be the one that fits your particular body best.

6 Likes

I think RJ Classics do a very good job of delivering consistently across the board. They have different styles with different fits, and a variety of price points. Great stretch, nice colors, good quality and will not bankrupt you the way the Italian jackets will (though their highest end are by no means cheap either).

3 Likes

The RJ Classics “harmony” mesh coat is fabulous. $279 list price; I found mine after lots of googling for $200 but cannot recall the name of the shop. Bonus: it comes in a “short” length if you need that option. Love mine (it’s grey).

3 Likes

Everything and I mean everything European runs small.

My favorite brands are Equiline and Cavelleria Toscana. I generally size up 2 sizes.

You can find amazing prices on European websites and also Tried Equestrian.

Edited to add:
Echoing that Mesh coats are a fantastic invention. I had an AA Motionlite and found that I sized down 1 size FYI (usually I’m a solid medium but a small fit me better).

Also, if you have an air vest, there are comparable coats such as Horse Pilot (who also makes a nice mesh coat).

2 Likes

I think brand and fit are a personal preference, but think nearly everyone does/ would enjoy a mesh coat vs a traditional wool one. I have a Horsewear AA Motionlite that I love. I got it second hand for under $200. It is slightly stretchy which is great for my broader shoulders and is SO breathable there is no reason not to wear it even on the hottest days.

2 Likes

I think a lot of it is going to depend on your build. I feel like the RJ classics coats are more traditionally shaped (hourglass figure) which fit my post-children body better. I have an RJ Melody mesh coat (it’s the 4 button style) that I love.

I love the AA Motionlite coats, but in my experience they are a straighter cut than the RJ coats and they don’t lay nicely over my love handle/spare tire situation. However they fit my body before kids just fine.

I haven’t tried Samshield, Cavalleria Toscana or Equiline Coats, but I imagine I’d have to size up. I did try a For Horses coat in a size large last summer from the Tried Equestrian and it fit everywhere except over my spare tire (stomach) and love handles. It is a more straight cut than my RJ coat.

2 Likes

RJ Classics mesh coat is the best in my opinion. I like the panels on the front. I also tried the AA mesh coats, but I found myself between sizes. I think RJ is better for anyone with long arms or a longer torso

1 Like

I bought the purple/brown RJ Mesh coat before my injury, and am so disappointed I never got to show it as it seemed very comfortable and the stretch made it seem less likely to ride up my forearms.

Anybody want it? It makes me sad to see it in the closet.

1 Like

Sorry about your injury! The deep plum? What size?

I have a Laguso that I love. It is so stretchy and comfortable and I think it looks great. Sometimes you can find them on sale for good prices on some of the EU/UK prices. It is the Jane Tec, which they advertise as a “close fitting cut” or something like, so I was afraid it would run small, but it is pretty generous in my opinion, especially through the shoulders (whichh is good for me!). Despite the stretch and the fabric feeling very light I don’t see my bra line in the back, which I really like. The zipper under the buttons is also a plus and the sleeves are nice and long. If I’m being picky, I wish it were slightly longer in the torso but I’m tall and I think that is also the style of the modern coats.

They come in a wide range of colors and patterns from very simple to very loud, but they do seem to be very seasonal (the fabric too, some are lighter than others) so the colors do change and sell out frequently. I had to hunt for a long time to find the “Forest Shine” color I wanted. They have a beautiful Merlot color on sale right now and there are a few others that I’d like to have if I could justify it!

It’s an 8R. There were limited sizes to try on, so not sure if the tall would have fit better, but it seemed like a better off the shelf fit than I am used to!