Unlimited access >

Best Stable in Maryland?

I am looking for a new stable not too far from NW DC. I would like to stay South of Columbia and South of Frederick and West of 95. I am looking in Poolesville, Clarksville, Boyds, Brookeville, Laurel area, Highland, etc… So far I have found 70 barns located in this geographic area! I have learned that one or two trips does not always reveal the true story of a barn so I am hoping to get some personal (or even second hand) advice. I know a lot of stables operate via word of mouth but the only horse people I kow are at my barn and I don’t want to go around advertising that I’m leaving.

I am an adult re-rider and have been taking lessons for about a year and I am just a couple of months away from purchasing a horse. My main priority is to find an instructor who teaches balanced riding. I have no ambition of climbing the show ranks but its important that my skill level is always improving and that I am challenged. I just want to dabble in a little bit of everything and find a barn that is friendly and fun and is a nice atomosphere for what I consider to be my ‘happy time’. A barn where people don’t take themselves too seriously and have a sense of humor but who have solid foundations in riding. Preferably someplace that doesn’t cater primarily to small children. Board under $600 (I’m happy with field board) and lessons under $50/60.

I’ve looked through the archives and done my homework with the Equiery, its still just a little overwhelming because I still have 50 stables on my list! Thanks so much for any help!

I never boarded there but I always liked the look of Bucks Haven Farm and did talk to them briefly about bringing my horse there (ultimately decided not to for reasons that had nothing to do with the farm itself). It’s nice because it’s within hacking distance of Schooley Mill Park which has a small cross country course, a big outdoor riding ring (and sometimes shows are held there) and some trails.

I don’t remember what they quoted me for the boarding fee (and this was several years ago at this point) but I’m pretty sure it was well below your $600 figure.

Plus you know, it’s right down the road from the Grey Pony tack shop in Highand. :smiley:

what is your preferred discipline- there are a slew of barns and what do you mean by “balanced riding”? and I would find a barn where the trainer can help you find an appropriate horse for you, not one they think will one day be appropriate for you

You can’t even get people to agree on the best pizza topping let alone the best barn in a state. Add me to the list that doesn’t know what you mean by balanced riding either as all riding had better be balanced if you hope to stay mounted.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7502949]
Add me to the list that doesn’t know what you mean by balanced riding either as all riding had better be balanced if you hope to stay mounted.[/QUOTE]

I stay mounted 90% of the time… can I advertise myself as a “balanced rider” and do clinics? :lol:

Anywho… I lived in College Park and the area for many years with horses. PM me if you have a barn in mind, but I don’t really know how to spit out suggestions without knowing what you want.

[QUOTE=Meredith Clark;7503015]
I stay mounted 90% of the time… can I advertise myself as a “balanced rider” and do clinics? :lol:

Anywho… I lived in College Park and the area for many years with horses. PM me if you have a barn in mind, but I don’t really know how to spit out suggestions without knowing what you want.[/QUOTE]

Balanced riding is one of those labels some trainers attach to themselves when they don’t really follow a discipline (because they can’t) but for whatever reason still want to teach lessons.

There’s quite a few balanced seat and centered seat (nothing to do with Sally Swift) riding instructors around Frederick. Funny…I just mentioned this very thing in the dressage horse to show jumper thread.