Unlimited access >

Best Starter Saddles for Beginner Adult Rider

What are some good suggestions for adult riders new to eventing for a first saddle?
I was thinking low price point- so either Crosby Soft Ride or Dover Eventer.
Would like to know if you think an all-purpose saddle is better than a regular jumping saddle. Thank you in advance!

I found a Crosby 18" SoftRide here:
https://trumbullmtn.com/store/demo-and-used-saddles/used-all-purpose-saddles/seat-sizes-18-to-20/crosby-soft-ride-event-17-5-m/
And a Crosby 17.5" here:

And just for giggles- here is a super dressage saddle- Itā€™s an 18" Collegiate, but the brand is Passier and the model is Antares! But the color is so EXTRA! Itā€™s listed as" Sun-Tan, London, Black, Teak, Havana, Redwood" LOL!!!

I love my Thorowgood T8. It has an adjustable gullet so I can fit it pretty well to my horse and the saddle fits me like a glove. I also feel I am in a better jumping position than in my prior saddle (Sommer Esprit).

3 Likes

What type of horse are you putting it on? Whatā€™s your budget? ETA: your best bet is to sit in as many different kinds as you can, and often people are happy to let others do that if you ask nicely so that might be a good starting point to narrow it down.

1 Like

I love Crosbys. They were my go-to saddles while raising my daughters and running through multiple horses. Quarters and TBs. I had 2 padded flap Equilibriums (a M and a MW) a Prix de Nations and a small seat childā€™s model. No one complained - kids or horses.

1 Like

My trainer exclusively uses Crosbys without knee rolls for her beginner/intermediate lesson saddles because, in addition to being nice saddles, they force her students (especially the beginners) to develop their leg position and strength without being dependent on knee rolls/blocks. She does have one that has knee rolls that she lets more advanced riders use, but generally by the time people ā€œgraduateā€ to it, they already have their own saddle.

1 Like

I always felt the same that the saddles were meant to show a judge that the rider ā€˜could holdā€™ their position :wink:

Same as I do with a Wintec pony saddle - I take off the stirrups so the childā€™s leg hangs long and straight. And I donā€™t let them curl holding 2 handed in front - itā€™s one hand on the pommel, one behind on the cantle. Shoulders up and back, tall and straight.

I evented up to training level in a Crosby soft ride!

Imma rain on the Crosby love parade: I suppose theyā€™re fine if youā€™re a relatively average build. Those things are awful if youā€™re someone like me - i.e., petite build, very long legs for my height (5ā€™2"), and extremely long femur bones proportionate to lower leg. Only one flap configuration, stirrup bars in an bad spot relative to the seatā€¦ I ended up being a fairly decent rider in spite of them, not because of them. So frustrating to constantly be fighting to keep my leg in the right place & still have instructors screaming at me.

Crosby saddles and the Pony Club are vestiges of my youth for which I still harbor a grudge 30 years later. :rofl:

Thatā€™s one of the more forward dressage saddles Iā€™ve seen in a long time!

:smiley:

It would probably be most helpful to share more about your build and your horse. What works for one combo can be miserable for another

Dang, Iā€™m selling a Collegiate dressage saddle and Iā€™m apparently asking way too low! Maybe I need to add a couple other brands in the add and see if it garners a higher price. :rofl: