Unlimited access >

Best summer riding breech

It gets over 100 where I live in the summer time, and my breeches are way too heavy. Does anyone have suggestions for light weight knee patch breeches? Less expensive are better, and no pull ons or tights please! So far I have had luck with the kerrits cross over breech, but all other pants I have tried have been too hot.
Has anyone tried the equine couture breeches; are they good for hot weather?

I used to like DevonAire Versailles a lot. Very lightweight, they zip up, and they have a pocket.

But since I started riding western I wear shorts and cowboy boots. :smiley: Canā€™t wait to show up at my hunter barn in them. :lol: Luckily I ride in the early morning so maybe there wonā€™t be too much pearl-clutching and fainting at the sight.

1 Like

The best breech for steamy summer riding? Whichever doesnā€™t show noticeable crotch/heiny sweat. For me, thatā€™s black leggings bought el cheapo at walmart or target with tall boots for riding and switch to barn shoes for chores. Iā€™ll give you fair warning, the cheapo leggings do tend to wear out in the thigh seam from riding friction. Small price to pay, tho, for thin cool fabric, no crotch sweat marks, and remarkably good price point.

I like Riding Sport ā€œEssentialsā€. They are zip breeches but light weight and comfy to me. They are mostly cotton so can absorb sweat but are also breathable and will conform to your body. Some polyester blends donā€™t absorb well and arenā€™t as comfortable for me, but some other ā€œhigh tech blendsā€ are very lightweight and great, but expensive. Essentials are also pretty cheap.

FITS are comfy and non-sweaty.

Devon-Aire Versailles and their All Pro line. I live in the All Pro ribbed. They are high tech, moisture wicking and so light weight!

Make sure you get a moisture-wicking fabric. There are many types available. Cotton is breathable but not moisture wicking. Fabric that is able to transport moisture away from your skin will keep you cooler.

I donā€™t like pull on breeches, so the breeches I would recommend are on the pricier side, but they do wear well and keep you cool.

My favorites are the Pikeurs but I only use them for show because they are so expensive. I also love the Ariat Olympia breeches and every now and then you can find them on closeout.

I recently purchased these but havenā€™t ridden in them yet. The price made them worth trying out.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstep-symphony-no-2-breech/p/Z1-35862A/

The ribbed Tuff Riders have worked pretty well for me. The zip ones are flattering as well, and theyā€™re way cooler than other breeches Iā€™ve tried.

That said, my Kerrits Cross Overs are still my favorite, even in summer.

Iā€™ll third the devonaire versailles. Theyā€™re more breathable than the kerrits i bought out of desperation after putting a big hole in my only other pair of light weight breeches. :slight_smile:

But iā€™m a wuss and wouldnā€™t ride in your weather. :slight_smile:

Tuffrider Aerocool - they are the best ones Iā€™ve ever had! The normal ribbed ones are also pretty good, but the Aerocools are wonderful.

What a timely topic! Following, and also want to add that I tried Tuff Riderā€™s Ventilated schooling tight. VERY good concept, but I didnā€™t dig the ā€˜tightā€™ material, and they were SO sheer EVERY single bulge showed through. You literally cannot wear underwear with them (at least in my experience with the ā€˜safariā€™ color)

I returned them and picked up a lightly used pair of On Course Cotton zip breeches and LOVE themā€¦ Thicker and miserable enough here in Florida but they do absorb some of that moisture and I always just change out of them as soon as Iā€™m done riding if I have more barn work to take care of.

[QUOTE=charismaryllis;8182332]
Iā€™ll third the devonaire versailles. Theyā€™re more breathable than the kerrits i bought out of desperation after putting a big hole in my only other pair of light weight breeches. :slight_smile:

But iā€™m a wuss and wouldnā€™t ride in your weather. :)[/QUOTE]

I wonā€™t be riding after about 10 a.m. until October. :smiley:

Nothing useful to add to the OP, but:

[QUOTE=mkevent;8181596]
My favorites are the Pikeurs but I only use them for show because they are so expensive.[/QUOTE]

I just destroyed a pair of show breeches thanks to downpour + saddle dye bleeding, and had to buy a new pair. Iā€™ve taken the opposite stance as you: Iā€™ll buy decent but not great breeches to show in, since they donā€™t get used as often and have higher odds of dying (teheheh). And Iā€™ll splurge on one or two pairs of really nice schooling breeches.

The Pikeurs do last forever, though.

ToTD has got some of the cotton blend On Course breeches on sale today with some good prices.

tropical rider

Just rode for the first time today in my Kerrittā€™s ice fil tights. Heaven.

I know you said no pull ons - but other people might be reading and want recsā€¦

I LOVE my Kerrits tights. They are a SO much cooler than anything else I own. They donā€™t show sweat, they dry super quickly, they wear like iron, and they are incredibly comfortable.

I am surprised others have said Tuffrider ribbed - I like these breeches, but I find them THICK - I wear mine winter / spring / fall, but never in the summer (90ā€™s -100+)

[QUOTE=Appsolute;8184622]
I know you said no pull ons - but other people might be reading and want recsā€¦

I am surprised others have said Tuffrider ribbed - I like these breeches, but I find them THICK - I wear mine winter / spring / fall, but never in the summer (90ā€™s -100+)[/QUOTE]

Try the Devon-Aire All Pro line. They come ribbed and smooth and are much lighter than the Tuffrider. I live in mine all summer.