Unlimited access >

Best Tall Boots Under $300

I’ve ridden in a pair of Ovation Flex Sport field boots for about 2-3 years, until the leather on the insides of the calves has all but been worn through. I would have continued to ride in them longer, but the zipper on the left boot now splits apart at the bottom when zipped up.

I’m looking for a quality pair of boots that will hopefully last as long as or longer than my current ones. My poor, college student budget won’t allow me to go much beyond the $300 mark. I don’t need fancy, just durable and comfortable. Also, question - do you lower level eventers ride in dress or field boots? I’ve seen both, but wondered if there’s a more “correct” boot to wear.

I’m considering buying Tredsteps - but am concerned about the reports of zippers breaking (that’s the last thing I need right now) and sizing being crazy small.

I love my tredstep donatellos. They fit normal, haven’t had any trouble with the zippers, they broke in quickly and are very comfortable.

I also love my Tredstep Donatellos. Mine fit like a custom boots which I didn’t think was possible since I’m tall with bird legs. So far no problems, but then my boots are only one season old, so time will tell. They are very comfortable.

I’m still in love with my Tuff Rider Wellesley tall boots. http://www.statelinetack.com/item/tuffrider-ladies-wellesley-tall-boot/E010715/ Super fit with no break in. Reasonably priced. The leather is very soft so I don’t use them for everyday wear; just lessons and shows.

Also a TuffRider fan. I paid $150, wear every day, no break-in, great fit, still look perfect after 1.5 years.

I have the Ovations and really like them. There really isn’t a “correct” but I think field boots are more common just because a lot of people also do horse shows where they are the norm (although not really any more correct.) The foxhunters and dressage types tend to wear dress boots. Definitely whichever you prefer is fine.

I have Ariat Heritage field boots. No break in time and I really beat them up and I’m unfortunately terrible about taking care of them and cleaning them but they are still in great shape other than the elastics snapping. (Those can be replaced I just haven’t yet.)
They are just over two years old, except for the last few months when I haven’t been riding due to new horse being unbroke, I wore them about twice a week all day to ride several horses and around the barn.

I stalked the sales pages for a few weeks earlier this year and got a pair of mountain horse tall field boots for 200 bucks. I have had a pair for 7 years and they are still going strong - wanted to start wearing them more for every day riding so got a second pair for showing.
At prelim and below, no one cares field vs dress - buy what fits and what you can get a good deal on.

[QUOTE=plaidbreeches;8397876]
I have Ariat Heritage field boots. No break in time and I really beat them up and I’m unfortunately terrible about taking care of them and cleaning them but they are still in great shape other than the elastics snapping. (Those can be replaced I just haven’t yet.)
They are just over two years old, except for the last few months when I haven’t been riding due to new horse being unbroke, I wore them about twice a week all day to ride several horses and around the barn.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I have had mine for over 2 years, and there is a sizable hole on the right calf (but not on the left which tells me how crooked I am!) now but I ride a lot and have beat them up, walked through water jumps leading greenies, and rarely cleaned them up. And they are very comfortable, I can walk around in them all day with no problem. I am getting a new pair soon and the discontinued style is cheap cheap cheap.

treadsteps all the way :slight_smile: Plus the davincis are on wickid closeout (line has been discontinued) so if you can find them in your size, you can get them for the same price of the donatellos. There are tons of sizing options and I’ve never had a problem with my zippers. (Full disclosure, I’ve volunteered with a rep for fittings a ton at equine affaire so I am partial to the boot, although I had my set well before that)

I have a pair of FIFTEEN year old Ariat Heritage pull ons :slight_smile: Still wear 'em. I also have the Ariat Sport V boots–had 'em about a year, and they’ve held up well to regular use. I just love the foot bed in an Ariat boot because I have a skinny foot with a high arch.

[QUOTE=Hawks Nest;8399552]
treadsteps all the way :slight_smile: Plus the davincis are on wickid closeout (line has been discontinued) so if you can find them in your size, you can get them for the same price of the donatellos. There are tons of sizing options and I’ve never had a problem with my zippers. (Full disclosure, I’ve volunteered with a rep for fittings a ton at equine affaire so I am partial to the boot, although I had my set well before that)[/QUOTE]

Where did you find them on sale? Thanks

[QUOTE=Cornerpost;8399663]
Where did you find them on sale? Thanks[/QUOTE]

They were on tack of the day for a bit, I think the last of the bit of Britain stock is at equine affaire this week. Dover might have some but I don’t know for sure.

I got a pair today off Equestrian Closeouts site for $244.99 and free shipping. They had most sizes including my popular size: 8.5 Reg calf!!

I love my Ariat V Sports - they’re sturdy, great looking, there’s virtually no break-in, and they’re VERY comfortable. I merrily wore mine around for 8 hours today and my feet feel fine!

I had a pair of V Sports shipped to my local Dover to try on. I absolutely loved them up until the top of the calf where they suddenly gaped horribly. :frowning: Too bad because the foot and ankle, and bottom calf were really comfortable. The next size down on the calf was too tight over the fullest part. :confused:

I have the Middleburg boots from Dover. Perfect fit from day one, no rubs from break in, and they look great. Ive abused them and they have lasted over a year.

I ride 4 to 6 horses a day and hose off my horses every ride. They have just gotten a small hole in the calf and the soles are starting to come undone. Im not complaining since they lasted double what my Ariat Crowns lasted for half the price. Will buy again.

Also love my Tredstep Donatellos!

Question about the Tredsteps… I measured my calf and it is just a tad over 14". According to the size chart, the Regular Calf is 14" and the Medium Calf is 15". There is an elastic panel, but I’m not sure if the calf measurement chart is based on the maximum or minimum.

[QUOTE=FLeventer;8402322]
I have the Middleburg boots from Dover. Perfect fit from day one, no rubs from break in, and they look great. Ive abused them and they have lasted over a year.

I ride 4 to 6 horses a day and hose off my horses every ride. They have just gotten a small hole in the calf and the soles are starting to come undone. Im not complaining since they lasted double what my Ariat Crowns lasted for half the price. Will buy again.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had my Middleburgs for almost four years, and these things won’t die (thank god, can’t afford new ones yet). They still clean up great. I treat them awfully, and I never clean them. They also had ZERO break-in time, and for a very long time people thought they were customs. They are now beat the death, and I still sometimes get compliments (not sure how).

I have heard that they changed some since I bought mine, but if the post I quoted has had hers over a year, I think that’s the “newer” style.