Unlimited access >

Best vest for dappley twat?

I’m bringing my young ID colt home from the trainer soon. I’ve been riding him there with no great excitement, but he’s tossed her off a couple of times. He’s typically a jolly, easy horse but he’s young and athletic and he’s not NOT a dick… So I’m freshening up my helmet game with a new mips model and I think it might be time for me to embrace a vest for daily wear. I’m pretty scrappy, but I’m sure he COULD get me off. And I wouldn’t completely put it past him to high five me while I’m in the air after being launched. I also would not put that past any horse.
So I’m 5’6”, mildly fat, big boobs, and it’s HOT here. What do we like? Would an air vest alone offer significant protection or should I embrace the sweaty turtle aesthetic?

1 Like

Terminology from shiteventersunite?

10 Likes

I’ve got an Airowear Outlyne, and sizing is generous due to the adjustable straps. I have a T3 short, purchased when I was much smaller, and it still fits even though I’d typically wear a women’s L or XL now. “Sweaty turtle” is a pretty good description of it though. It’s so hot in the summer. They have a new model they claim has better ventilation, so I’m interested in what options there are that don’t roast you alive in the summer.

I believe he’s considered a greystard. You seem fun. I’d forgo the air vest and, as you say, embrace the sweaty turtle aesthetic. I find the Tipperary Eventer to be the most comfortable.

4 Likes

Just think of it as your safety sauna. :wink:

11 Likes

I know a lot of dressage and trail riders that just wear a air vest.

I’m not a air vest person so I wear a Tipperary. It’s the lightest vest I found although I’ll still make sweat puddles in my undies in the summer.

I concur with greystard

4 Likes

I just don’t think greystard has the same roll-off-the-tongue sound as the other names tho.

“Safety Sauna”??

I’m dying! :rofl:

Love the feedback, thank you all. I’m not sure we have to “decide” between greystard and dapply twat. He seems more than capable of deserving both monikers.

5 Likes

I’ve heard really good things about the racesafe vest, although it was backordered both times I tried to order it. I ended up with the Champion Titanium vest and it is great! I am about the same bodytype as you and it fits really well and lightweight.

1 Like