Unlimited access >

Best washer for blankets

Busy barn with lots of dirty blankets, tired of sending out 25 blankets at a time for cleaning. Any of you who have a large machine to do your own blankets? What size and model? Our commercial machine, which is too small to do blankets has died one too many times. Time to upgrade.

I’ve got a regular front end loader and it does a nice job with my blankets. The heaviest I’ve loaded is a 200g Rambo. Mostly doing Rambo Rain Sheets (one at a time) and the liners…which I can double up. Using Rambo Wash on cold and then dry on my clothesline.

I use my Maytag top loader—just my regular washer. This Maytag is 5 years old and I wash ALL of my horse laundry in it. Even turnout blankets. Now, I only have 1 or 2 horses at a time. When they roll in the mud in their turnouts, I"ll take the hose and spray off the mud first. I hang it over a wall and spray both sides down, but they wash just fine. I also DO clean the washer when the little light comes on—just run the affresh or similar product in it.

Meile makes special equestrian equipment:

https://m.mieleusa.com/professional/691.htm?info=200087573-ZBT

Which might be exactly what you’re looking for?

IIRC from previous threads, Speed Queen commercial washers have a lot of fans, but they’ve changed with the environmental regulations. If you can find the old ones that use a lot of water, apparently they’re pretty amazing.

For just a few blankets a year, our LG top loader without an agitator does a great job–and the drum is HUGE–but it’s probably not up to dealing with regular horse laundry for 25 horses.

1 Like

Which model maytag do you have?

Hello! It’s a MVWB765FW—they call it a top-loading high efficiency washer. I bought it at Home Depot in 2016. I think it’s a 4.7 cubic foot, so not the biggest but not the sm
allest either.