Unlimited access >

Best water pump brand(s) and or method to transfer water from steam to trough

Renovations may cause a disruption of the barn water /but not electric for a bit. Trying to come up with a watering plan layout for a pasture/barn that needs a water source: both within reach of a stream (within a do-able two (?) long hose distance) and 2) electric cords (or plug into truck or generator?), so I thought I could use a hose in stream to water pump to hoses to trough(s)? Assuming this might be a good idea of course, suggestions for reliable affordable pump brands and amount of horse power needed (1/2-1HP)

Otherwise I will be hauling water in trash cans–bailed into troughs–which is a sloppy mess usually-from my past experience when we lost power after a hurricane. I guess if I go that way I might find a less wet way to move the water…(tank that hose can attach to in the back of the truck? Edited to add–I did find this–https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/100-gallon-plastic-storage-tank-square-end-with-flat-bottom-987270?ref=5) Maybe that is the better way to go?

Suggestions appreciated.

(My brain froze up reading about making a non-electric Ram pump-- it seems like you need a down hill run to get it started(?) and this layout would need to go up a hill incline.)

TIA

Do you have water rights on the stream? If not, you may or may not get away with using the water for this purpose- depends on how closely things are watched.

If you have livestock watering rights on the stream, you can simply turn your horses out together in a pasture next to the stream with a livestock watering access- a fenced V into the stream which allows horses to drink without causing too much damage to the stream.

If you don’t want to turn horses out together, and wish to water them individually, if your stream has enough of a “drop” in elevation, you can rig a large barrel in the stream for water to flow into, and direct the water from the barrel to a hose. The weight of the water dropping in elevation can push water in a narrower hose uphill- but how much “head” will be created depends on the amount of elevation (drop), and the size of the barrel to put weight behind the water.

Or, you can purchase a small, portable gas powered pump, and put the intake into the creek, and run the outflow hose to your barn. Start the pump, and the water flows out the other end of the hose in your barn. These gas powered water pumps are not expensive to buy, and come in handy. We pump our irrigation pipes out with one every year. About the size of a bucket. I dunno what horsepower ours is, but you can ask at any store that sells them for advice as to what HP would be suitable.

2 Likes

you need to know (besides if you have the water rights) how far of a lift the pump needs to get the water up out of the source then what height the water needs to be pumped to where it will be used.

Harbor Freight (those good old Chinese manufacturers) have a Gasoline engine pump that is semi Trash, that is it can pump water that has some junk in it, … $239.99 (before any coupon)

This PREDATOR® gasoline engine water pump engine can quickly transfer water at speeds up to 158 GPM (gallons per minute). The large 2 in. intake/discharge ports can pass soft solids up to 5/8 in. diameter. The gas engine on the pump makes it ideal for use during power outages and at remote jobsites. A durable cast iron volute and impeller combined with high quality silicon carbide seals ensure long service life.

• Powerful 212cc 4-stroke overhead valve gas engine
  • 158 GPM (gallons per minute)
  • Total head lift: 91 ft.
  • Suction head lift: 26 ft.
  • Low oil alert
  • Recoil start

Check craigslist for IBC totes or barrels that have only been used for food. Sometimes they can be found very cheaply and there are pieces that allow a hose connection. Set them up in the area you need water and learn how to syphon water with a short length of hose from a trash can into the storage container, or from the trash can into a trough. OR, use a barrel with the hose converter to get water out to the trough.

https://alternativesolutionsinc.us/barrels-and-totes

Thanks so much-- these are all great ideas…(not sure why I was clueless about gasoline pumps)… and water rights fortunately are not an issue.

Please do not allow livestock access to water bodies - bad for streams, bad for water supplies, not great for livestock either.

Also check with your state env. agency as to withdrawal details. While my guess would be that it depends on scale, if it were me, depending on where you are in the watershed, I would also want to find out if there were upstream users/dischargers that may be affecting water safety.

2 Likes