Unlimited access >

better bareback flatwork than under saddle?

Ok, I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I have always struggled to “be one” with my inner dressage queen. I’ve noticed that in terms of working on flatwork with my horse, I always feel like I can get a 1000% better ride out of him when I do so bareback versus in my saddle. I feel like I can really sink in and wrap my legs around; in general, ride more correctly from my legs into my hand. Under saddle, I feel like I struggle to sink down and wrap my legs, leading to a stiffer ride and in turn a stiffer horse. How do I master the same feeling I get bareback and translate it to when I am in the saddle?

same here.

I think riding bareback can be very vey helpful so if it works, maybe it can translate to riding better with a saddle.

I hate riding bareback when it is hot, however. I ride bareback a lot when it is really cold.

Get a better fitting saddle. I’d suggest having your saddle fitter watch you ride bareback so he/she gets an idea of what the goal is in terms of the connection,how you like to sit, how your horse moves, etc. At least, that is where I’d want to start. The right saddle should help you ride better, not feel in the way.

Just got a brand new saddle, fits the horse, it is a jump saddle though, so makes sense why it is a bit tougher to sit down and deep into it. I think it still needs more break-in time and the leather needs to soften up and get more grippy. That being said, I feel I have struggled with this in other saddles i’ve ridden in as well. Sure, the grippier ones offer me less sliding to fight, but still can’t get that good “wrap” and feel that I can get when I ride bareback :confused:

[QUOTE=equuspeace;8774717]
Ok, I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I have always struggled to “be one” with my inner dressage queen. I’ve noticed that in terms of working on flatwork with my horse, I always feel like I can get a 1000% better ride out of him when I do so bareback versus in my saddle. [/QUOTE]

Nope, you’re not alone :slight_smile: I usually have really good rides when I go bareback (though I do use a Thinline bareback pad…my horse is a narrow ottb). I do feel more ‘one’ with him and have a better feel.

Jump saddles have a different tree to dressage saddles. Dressage saddles have a tree for you to sit and it distributes the weight. Jump saddles you are up with no weight in the saddle most of the time.

At least the way I was taught to ride!!!

I used to feel this way all the time, I got better fitting saddles and it has made a huge difference. I’ll second the major difference between riding in a dressage saddle and a jumping saddle, I’ve my whole life and finally last year got my very first dressage saddle. It has taken some getting used to, but it does make a huge difference! I still love to ride bareback, and sometimes it helps me work on certain issues, but overall, I do it a lot less since I got the dressage saddle.

Riding without stirrups lets a rider sit deeper too.

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;8776012]
Riding without stirrups lets a rider sit deeper too.[/QUOTE]

That’s the thing though, I would prefer without stirrups, maybe it’s simply a mental block and I can’t get that reach and hug when i’m all put together in the saddle. I do know I have extremely tight hip flexors, so perhaps without the saddle I am able to relax and stretch around something?