Unlimited access >

Beval Solaris for Hard-to-Fit Big-Shouldered TB?

Anyone out there ride in the Beval Solaris? I am considering purchasing a demo in a medium-wide tree for my hard-to-fit boy.

Horse is 16.2hh, 6 year old TB, normal withers, HUGE shoulder, good muscle over the back. Very opinionated about saddle fit.

I first rode him in my ancient medium tree Beval Natural. God, I loved that saddle! I had outgrown it-- was giving me back issues because the seat size was only a 16" and Momma needs a 17". It fit the horse very well, but I wanted something with some knee and thigh blocks because somebody likes to buck.

I made the mistake of selling my Natural on eBay, and then tried about every saddle I could find at consignment on this horse. I finally went with an older but beautiful Prestige Eventer off eBay. Needless to say, the 32cm Prestige is too narrow. My mistake. I finally sent it to VTO to have them stretch the tree to a 34cm, and it’s still pinching. The shape is just all wrong for him! Sold it for what I paid, minus eBay fees

SO, two requests:

1. If you also have a horse that is a normal width but has a ridiculously large Seattle Slew/Storm Cat shoulder, what do you ride in?
  2. Can someone PLEASE REVIEW the Beval Solaris for me? Is the leather crappy Argentinian stuff like the newer Pessoas, or is it decent? How is the tree fit? I like the look and the shape of the integrated panels, and I love a Beval Natural/ Butet-like balance for myself. I also like the French saddles, but I like being able to pay my bills more.

My saddle requirements are: 17" seat, forward flap, decent but not huge knee and thigh blocks (TBH, they were too big on the Prestige), reasonably deep seat (not flat-- I love a flat seat, but my trainer will forever refer to it as “that crappy flat seat saddle”), nice narrow twist, balanced stirrup bars not set too far back, reasonably nice leather (I ride one or two horses 4-5 times a week, so it’s not like it has to withstand a daily beating)… is that too much to ask for $1500/ $2000 MAYBE $2500 if-I-dip-into-the-emergency-vet-fund used saddle budget?

I appreciate your suggestions and reviews!

If you can find one, you might want to try an older Beval Artisan. Very similar in lots of ways to the Natural /Butet balance that you liked, and the one I have is awesome for my huge shouldered guy. They were originally designed to be a Butet knockoff and they are brilliant. (Disclaimer: The current ones look and feel REALLY different than the originals; I am talking about the light caramel colored ones that came out maybe 6+ years ago.)

FWIW, I actually liked the Artisan I bought used off Ebay for under a grand better than my fancy (and much pricier) Butet, and it was the close contact I kept even when I started doing dressage. Fantastic saddles and worth a try if you can find one.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on the newer Artisans! I have heard many prefer the Natural or Artisan because the leather, while still soft and buttery, is more resilient than the calf leather on the Butet.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=mulronee;8833610]
Thanks for the tip on the newer Artisans! I have heard many prefer the Natural or Artisan because the leather, while still soft and buttery, is more resilient than the calf leather on the Butet.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I definitely prefer the leather on my Artisan - it’s tough but soft and grippy. Fabulous to ride in. Happy shopping!

Well you are describing th Solaris. Only caveat is that they (like all Bevals) run narrow and have A framed panels. Try this saddle in a medium wide or wide tree to accommodate the shoulder. That’s a tough problem- I have been there- you need a more forward flap for your long thigh and the horse would do best in a straighter flap with that big shoulder. I loved the leather quality and balance.

The other things that I find the same perfect balance in are the CWD’s which you could afford in your bigger budget, and they are much more generous in the gullet and panel shape.

Where are you finding the Solaris in demo condition? I would also say that the Stamford has a little bit of a flatter shape to the panels if you need it and the new leather is very soft.

I just recently bought a Becal Solaris Saddle and I LOVE it. It’s super comfy and fits my horse well. My horse has the same problem as your horse. It fits my horse well and I’m very happy with my purchase! If you have any other questions about it just ask

We had a Beval Natural in Wide (holy grail) for my daughter’s 16.2, 1200 lb tb with a huge shoulder. My daughter loved it but the shape was wrong for the horse. We tried a few others and landed on an Amerigo DJ jump (the one that on the Amerigo site says is made for warmbloods). It has the nice balance point for the rider and is wool flocked We found a well cared for, well loved MW (marked +1 1/2) model in your price range.